Top Gear to go HD!

killpanda

wants to fondle your manboobs
We?ve just heard it confirmed by BBC brass that the next series of Top Gear will be in HD.
That means all the races, supercars sliding from left to right of your telly screens and the boys? comedic adventure, all in crystal clarity.
As Jeremy said a few weeks? back, filming is well underway on Series 14 and if all goes to plan it?ll be on your screens by mid-November.
Until then, it?s the usual grainy repeats on Dave ? or the bulging archive of on-demand clips we?ve got here at TopGear.com. You should know where they are by now?

Top Gear to go HD

At last!

(I don't think this is spoiler as it doesn't tell us what is going to be in the new series, but if you think this is, feel free to move it :))

On one mid November evening, millions of people will go:

jizz_in_pants_andy_samberg.jpg

..In front of their computer monitors :)

Yeeeeheheheeess!

'Nuff said, really.

Wicked!

I have about 3 TB free diskspace at the moment (not counting my server), so should be ready for it :D

Oh this is very exciting! I can't think of a show I want in HD more than Top Gear. Thanks for listening BBC! Now if you want to offer this up to us on DVD, my money is waiting.

Now I only hope some cappers will put hd rips out there, and that this site will maintain a list to both.

If that's the case, I will just have to update my rss filters to download the HD ones.

How big are the HD rips gonna be? I might just d/l the standard so I can watch it sooner, then the HD. But anyway, thank you bbc!

:banana: :mouse: :woot: :love:

Do I need to say more? At the moment 800 GB are free on my HDD, but I have a RAID-Controller with 8 ports of which only 3 are occupied (3x1 TB in RAID 5) so there's plenty of space to upgrade. :)

Yeah! Good for the people with the poster-size displays! As long as i got my SD TV and a Macbook, i'll stick with SD... i can update with whole-season-torrents once i got myself a big-ass HD telly anyways.

How big are the HD rips gonna be? I might just d/l the standard so I can watch it sooner, then the HD. But anyway, thank you bbc!

I'd actually like some info on this too, if people have experience with comparable length shows in HD. I don't have a massive HD (16GB currently free, a little more once I delete series 13 and Torchwood). I'm still having to burn to DVD and delete the original files to have enough space for everything. My cable internet connection is also only moderate speed.

I'm excited the show is being offered in HD even if I don't watch it in HD myself. It's still a GREAT move!

Well if I remember correctly, 10X00 (Polar Challenge Special) was roughly an hour long.

And here are the sizes of the HD rips:

* 720p: ? 1.43GB
* 1080p: ? 7.07GB

Will my 1TB hard drive be enough? :p.

Based on other HD rip I sometime download (45 minutes 720p h264 @ 6000 kbps that take 1.9GB), I would expect them to be around 2.5GB.

Edit: Just saw the above post, my estimate might be on the large side.

Last edited:
That's awesome!

As if I wasn't looking enough forward to Top Gear to begin with :p

Interesting variation in file size expectations there! I can do 2-3 GB per episode, but there's no way I can do 7, even if I buy the external HD I want. It'd take all day to download.

The 7gb would be the 1080 version?

Aren't they airing in 720?