Top Gear to go HD!

**** double post!!!!

Last edited:
i hope we can still get the (Non HD )ones my archos 160gb PMP doe'st like the big files. I know I know HD are better but my archos will not play the HD video file's. It's cost heck of money too upgrade right now i want the archos 500gb PMP player. that has HD on it.
SO..can you still upload the non HD? :|

Worse case use handbrake to make a compatible version. Though I am sure SD versions will continue to be available.

I've got a 1920x1200 display, so it's theoretically big enough for 1080. But the catch is that I can't seem to play the hour-long Polar Special in 1080 without significant freezing and sound mis-matching. 720 is a much more viable option probably for everyone. Also, it fits on a FAT flash drive so I can play it on my PS3.

i hope we can still get the (Non HD )ones my archos 160gb PMP doe'st like the big files. I know I know HD are better but my archos will not play the HD video file's. It's cost heck of money too upgrade right now i want the archos 500gb PMP player. that has HD on it.
SO..can you still upload the non HD? :|

Like shellygrrl said,

Viper said:
We?ll be doing our best to provide 700MB (SD), 720p, and 1080p rips for each episode. The HD rips will likely take a bit longer to release though, so don?t expect them as quickly as we release the current resolution rips.

So yes, the standard definition rips will still be available.

I've got a 1920x1200 display, so it's theoretically big enough for 1080. But the catch is that I can't seem to play the hour-long Polar Special in 1080 without significant freezing and sound mis-matching. 720 is a much more viable option probably for everyone. Also, it fits on a FAT flash drive so I can play it on my PS3.

Your three biggest issues in play back are;

Horsepower, codecs, media player.

It's likely your system isn't beefy enough to play that file (even though it's still not a full wasabi bitrate sauce 1080p rip).

Your three biggest issues in play back are;

Horsepower, codecs, media player.

It's likely your system isn't beefy enough to play that file (even though it's still not a full wasabi bitrate sauce 1080p rip).

I should think that 4 GB of ram should be plenty, unless my Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.86 GHz each is the problem. And VLC is the fastest player around that I know of.

I get miles better results playing back the polar special in 1080 with Media Player Classic than VLC. That's the only time I ever use MPC, however.

Try Coreavc + Cuda if you have a recent Nvidia card.
I usually play h.264 stuff, no matter whats the resolution or bitrate, @3-5% CPU usage on a C2D8400

Here is a really good guide that gives you better picture and uses your nvidia (8xxx-series and newer) or ATI-card for decoding instead of your cpu, i use it on my 8500GT and it works like a charm.

Link: http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x264-1080p-movies-over-the-gpu-guide/

Hope this will will help some people.

i just tried it, and its not working for my 8800GT :cry: (nvidia utility showing 0% gpu utilization).

tho i'll try screwin around with drivers and such next.

course, testing it with the 1080p "h264" Polar Special video.. if thats some sorta exception i'm missing. :(

Can we make this thread a sticky so newbies won't repost this news another 4 times?

if my hig rei opening in several definitions tests has told me anything

i'll have SD for my desktop and 720p for my laptop please

Last edited:
Top Gear in HD!!! Awesome! :mouse::banana:

How are you guys going to stream it to your HDTVs? I have used my external HDD and my xbox for every episode now. But I had problems with the Polar Special already, for starters 7GB doesn't fit my FAT32 formatted external HDD (stupid file formats, my Mac won't support NTFS and xbox won't support OSX formatting, damit) and xbox won't play mkv files anyway. Should I just connect my laptop to the hdtv with a VGA cable?

Top Gear in HD!!! Awesome! :mouse::banana:

How are you guys going to stream it to your HDTVs? I have used my external HDD and my xbox for every episode now. But I had problems with the Polar Special already, for starters 7GB doesn't fit my FAT32 formatted external HDD (stupid file formats, my Mac won't support NTFS and xbox won't support OSX formatting, damit) and xbox won't play mkv files anyway. Should I just connect my laptop to the hdtv with a VGA cable?

Guessing from the file format problems that the Laptop is a Mac, i'd suggest getting an Mini-DVI (or whatever connector apple used on your model) to HDMI adaptor for better picture quality. Connecting two digital devices (Laptop and HDTV) with a analogue transmitter (VGA) will screw up the picture quality.

Software solution would be to boot your (intel) Mac from a ubuntu live CD, which can mount NTFS devices and use that to copy the file.

Second software solution would be to copy the file over a network share, guessing the the xbox can mount network shares.

EDIT: Admins, maybe you should create a sticky "HD playback help"-thread in the "Problems"-section and a sticky pointer to it over here. This questions will start pouring in once the first HD rip is available.

Last edited:
Guessing from the file format problems that the Laptop is a Mac, i'd suggest getting an Mini-DVI (or whatever connector apple used on your model) to HDMI adaptor for better picture quality. Connecting two digital devices (Laptop and HDTV) with a analogue transmitter (VGA) will screw up the picture quality.

Software solution would be to boot your (intel) Mac from a ubuntu live CD, which can mount NTFS devices and use that to copy the file.

Second software solution would be to copy the file over a network share, guessing the the xbox can mount network shares.

Thanks for advice. Yes, I'll probably try to use a DVI cable to connect my MacBook Pro (it has the big DVI port) to my HDTV, hopefully the GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB Ram will be able to handle it. If I find the time I'll try booting my Mac from the ubuntu live CD.

With regards to the file format problem: the X360 supports FAT, FAT32 and HFS+ but NTFS isn't supported. The Mac supports FAT32, HFS+ (obviously), can read NTFS but can't write on it (without additional software). Windows on the other hand cannot handle HFS+ at all without additional software. Getting software for Windows seems the best choice for the time being.

Last edited:
I cannot stress how stoked I am ! GIEF HD EPISODES NAO

I guess they fired that woman who is head of thier HD something, who asked "Why do you want top gear in HD"