Top Gear - Top Challenge Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dygear

Car(s)
1992 Ford Mustang LX
McLaren having a problem getting the new front wing to Singapore. Johnathan Neil transporting the part in a flight case on a airbus A3-80 and the flight crew thinking it was part of their new aircracft because of the packing it was in. I think it would be a cool challenge to see a Top Gear Top Challenge that involves getting a race car compent for the factory in Woking to a race on the calendar by car (Any McLaren), driven by Clarkson and by Plane (Cessna), with Capt. Capt. Slow & Hammond Hand Bag. Who ever get's to the track with their part first wins.

I would like to see the English boys come to Australia. They could get three popular Australia cars. (Holden Monaro)
And they could drive from...Melbourne to the top of Queensland? I dont know but something to do with Australia. They could have a race with someone in a car, someone going by boat and another by ... something else.
Meh, I don't know but I would like to see them do something in Australia.

Buy more Cheap Cars - but think it through!

Buy more Cheap Cars - but think it through!

I usually find the "buy some cheap car" episodes very amusing, but there have been occasional letdowns with most recent ones. The last one for example. I did enjoy it, what with being German, owning a 190 (albeit a 2.6) *and* having first-hand experience with a rainy Lausitzring (albeit on a borrowed motorbike). But how can you have the premise of buying a trackday car and then not have them attend a real trackday? Let alone tuning or at least preparing the car first?

Or the rear-wheel drive coupes from 13x05, where they had a 944 in a cheap car challenge for the second time. I think it should be mandatory to not buy the same model twice.

Off the top of my head, it could be fun to have them get a cheap, low-powered compact. James has repeatedly stated how much he loves the things. And why. There might not even be too many *really* cheap ones left after the scrapping scheme. At the risk of sounding boring, this might even be an opportunity for some sensible consumer advice, as long as you disguise it properly. The proposed incentive might be getting the perfect cheap old clunker for your girlfriend the kindergarten teacher.

Also, I've always thought getting there was half the fun. By which I mean the cheap car acquisition process. Or did nobody ever wonder what kind of guy it must have been to manage unloading that re-badged Merak on Jeremy... the old lady in Africa that gave him the Beta... Just remember the USA journey. or that veteran car auction, that was a very good start. A hidden camera while buying / inspecting prospective clunkers from unsuspecting sellers should prove comedy gold.

It's also usually good fun to see them build something or trying to improve on something - as long as they put some genuine effort into it (as opposed to that electric car they "built" in 14x02). I don't know what to make of things like the motorhomes of 15x04 in that respect, where we just get to see the end result but not the design and construction processes. I suspect they're too busy and lazy to bother these days and just have it done by other people. Remember when they built that Caterham together?

Oh yeah and of course there should be more motorcycles. They should finally force Jeremy ride a real one. I still faintly recall an episode where he enthused about some overpriced test car or other because he was finally able to overtake on back roads. Well duh! Any old Jap bike has been doing that for ages, and without costing as much as a village in Sussex - at 120 bhp, *NO* gap is too small on a sports bike. Also a chance to poke fun at the British bike press.

Oh yeah and as far as travelling goes, I'd appreciate it if they maybe managed to come to Germany with similarly open minds as they did to Vietnam or Bolivia and just stop riding all those ancient stereotypes because it really has gotten old and died long ago. And as much as I love James, if he thinks Berlin is not amusing, that says more about him than it does about Berlin.

I was gonna say!

Status
Not open for further replies.