• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Top Gear US - Gone?

Atomic Glee

Hi all - my first post around here. I've been a huge Top Gear fan for a while now, ever since myself and the other few guys that worked at the European car dealership I used to work for started downloading and passing around clips from the UK version.

Now, I understand that Top Gear US on the Discovery channel was far from being the best version of the show (trust me, I know from the UK clips), but I was still excited to see it *finally* on the air in the US in some form. Even in the US version, it was still light-years beyond any of the horrible car shows we have over here. During last night's episode, Discovery ran some promos for its "new Wednesday night" lineup, and a series called "Beyond Boundaries" was slotted in Top Gear's 10:00 Eastern/9:00 Central time slot. Puzzled, since the ads made no mention of where Top Gear was going, I inquired to Discovery channel. I figured that maybe the show was taking a hiatus while work was done on the new season in the UK, but Discovery's reply was far less encouraging:

-----
Thank you for contacting Discovery Networks. We appreciate your interest
in our programming. Unfortunately, "Top Gear" is no longer being produced.
Please check discovery.com for future airdates of programs already
produced.

A reply to this message is not necessary. For more information about
schedules and programming check our website, www.discovery.com. If you
have any further inquiries or comments, please contact us via our webform
at http://extweb.discovery.com/ViewerRelations. Thank you again for
expressing your interest in our programming.

Sincerely,
Kari
Viewer Relations
Discovery Networks
-----

The way they're phrasing it, it sounds like Top Gear US is basically over and done with, gone from the channel. If so, this royally stinks. Does anybody else know anything about this? :(

Re: Top Gear US - Gone?

Atomic Glee said:
Hi all - my first post around here. I've been a huge Top Gear fan for a while now, ever since myself and the other few guys that worked at the European car dealership I used to work for started downloading and passing around clips from the UK version.

Now, I understand that Top Gear US on the Discovery channel was far from being the best version of the show (trust me, I know from the UK clips), but I was still excited to see it *finally* on the air in the US in some form. Even in the US version, it was still light-years beyond any of the horrible car shows we have over here. During last night's episode, Discovery ran some promos for its "new Wednesday night" lineup, and a series called "Beyond Boundaries" was slotted in Top Gear's 10:00 Eastern/9:00 Central time slot. Puzzled, since the ads made no mention of where Top Gear was going, I inquired to Discovery channel. I figured that maybe the show was taking a hiatus while work was done on the new season in the UK, but Discovery's reply was far less encouraging:

-----
Thank you for contacting Discovery Networks. We appreciate your interest
in our programming. Unfortunately, "Top Gear" is no longer being produced.
Please check discovery.com for future airdates of programs already
produced.

A reply to this message is not necessary. For more information about
schedules and programming check our website, www.discovery.com. If you
have any further inquiries or comments, please contact us via our webform
at http://extweb.discovery.com/ViewerRelations. Thank you again for
expressing your interest in our programming.

Sincerely,
Kari
Viewer Relations
Discovery Networks
-----

The way they're phrasing it, it sounds like Top Gear US is basically over and done with, gone from the channel. If so, this royally stinks. Does anybody else know anything about this? :(

It actually wouldn't surprise me. The show did not do well with viewers, mostly because it was entirely too discontiguous. I also think the show failed because its relative nobodies talking about cars here in the states. At least in britain JC, JM, and RH are well known outside of the show, here, RH is the only one someone might recognize from him being on G4TV in Brainiac. If we had some respectable people doing the same format show, here in the US, it could work, but it would have to be people that are well known.

I think the best option for getting a show similar to this would be trying to go through the BBC America route (which is also owned by Discovery networks, but hopefully could get away with the british version of the show). It seems to work for BBC Canada (even though I think that's a BBC owned network).

Unfortunately here its mostly about Hot Rods and tuning cars and restorations and old Mustangs and general nonsense. Watching people argue for half an episode and somehow end up with a truck that can do your laundry or something or some motorcyle. I'm hoping all of this is just a fad like those crappy robot battle shows and we get real car programs, but i know that 90% of the gear heads will only be interested in putting kits on their '98 honda civics. I didnt like fast and the furious too much but its huge here so there you go. Were only into straight line stuff and NASCAR which sucks because that means noone bothers to show Formula 1.
I saw an episode of US TG just yesterday and they were testing the Renault Clio V6. They dont HAVE Renault in the US do they? Once they cut all the stuff they cant or dont want to show us, they're not left with much, but its kind of nice knowing so much more than everyone else though. Makes you look smart :)

btw :welcome: !!! :)

I watched the episode last night also...I love how they cut some review clips out of the Cayenne part...where he talks about the interior and other things, just before the clip ends.

I also saw that there is a new show slotted into that time, which was a obvious sign that Top Gear didn't succeed here. I discussed a topic like this over on IMDB.com about how the US version sucked horribly, I even sent discovery staff a message on why they failed :lol: .

JC, JM & RH probably all was slighty irritated that they had to come in an re-record a version that was "american friendly" as I call it...screw what the U.S. audience thinks, and show the originals! It would save money paying the crews to re-record, and just pay for not having commercials! Show the news, cool wall, stars in a reasonably priced car...all of it uncut for 1 hour. I am pretty sure it would work, even if it was sent to another channel where there would be an audience that would watch it (speed channel, g4ttv, tlc maybe?).

I hope it doesn't come back in the way it was...I am happy watching the originals as it comes avaliable to me. :thumbsup:

All the hosts were obviously annoyed at having to do an American version. You could just hear it in their tone of voice and in their overall attitude during the show.

I think everybody benefited by stoping Top Gear in the US. Americans simply do not understand British humour.
However, I've heard rumours of a new American Top Gear with American hosts. I don't know any Americans who can clone Jezza, but some of our journalists are VERY good and VERY honest too. Hopefully they picked the right ones for the job.

Z Draci said:
All the hosts were obviously annoyed at having to do an American version. You could just hear it in their tone of voice and in their overall attitude during the show.

I think everybody benefited by stoping Top Gear in the US. Americans simply do not understand British humour.
However, I've heard rumours of a new American Top Gear with American hosts. I don't know any Americans who can clone Jezza, but some of our journalists are VERY good and VERY honest too. Hopefully they picked the right ones for the job.
Would that mean that they would review cars and do crazy stunts at the same time, with lots of artsy camera work? It'd be hard to capture the Top Gear style otherwise.

Though the cross-country races in America should be fun...what's the fastest way to get across New York City? :lol:

BlaRo said:
Z Draci said:

Would that mean that they would review cars and do crazy stunts at the same time, with lots of artsy camera work? It'd be hard to capture the Top Gear style otherwise.

Though the cross-country races in America should be fun...what's the fastest way to get across New York City? :lol:

I've always wanted to try a race from LA to Las Vegas.
My friends would take an airplane while I drove. We'd both start at the same point and meet at some hotel there.
It should be a close race.

Z Draci said:
BlaRo said:
Z Draci said:

I've always wanted to try a race from LA to Las Vegas.
My friends would take an airplane while I drove. We'd both start at the same point and meet at some hotel there.
It should be a close race.
you'd get stopped a million times, it would suck. the Police are a little more lenient toward their races and such, Clarkson got pulled over rarely if at all during the races.

Now, I understand that Top Gear US on the Discovery channel was far from being the best version of the show (trust me, I know from the UK clips), but I was still excited to see it *finally* on the air in the US in some form.

I was distrubed also to find exactly what you did. I also went to the Discovery website and entered my *complaint*. Got the exact same message back you did ... from the same person - Kari. I think Kari may end up going back to the producers and saying "for goodness sake, please put it back on ...".

No seriously, even though some viewers may not have gotten the humor or weren't comfortable with the format I still think it blows every other car show in the US out of the water. I lived in the UK for 2 years and watched it every time it came on. It being on here in the US gave me a little piece of England every time I watched it. Oh well ... back to the Nascar ... er ... Speed Channel.

RiggZola said:
Now, I understand that Top Gear US on the Discovery channel was far from being the best version of the show (trust me, I know from the UK clips), but I was still excited to see it *finally* on the air in the US in some form.

I was distrubed also to find exactly what you did. I also went to the Discovery website and entered my *complaint*. Got the exact same message back you did ... from the same person - Kari. I think Kari may end up going back to the producers and saying "for goodness sake, please put it back on ...".

No seriously, even though some viewers may not have gotten the humor or weren't comfortable with the format I still think it blows every other car show in the US out of the water. I lived in the UK for 2 years and watched it every time it came on. It being on here in the US gave me a little piece of England every time I watched it. Oh well ... back to the Nascar ... er ... Speed Channel.

there are still some decent car shows in the US though. Motor trend just puts you to sleep, but C/D isnt bad. My favorite other type of car show is called "TRUCKS!". its a little redneck oriented, but its still pretty fucking cool.

bartboy9891 said:
the Police are a little more lenient toward their races and such, Clarkson got pulled over rarely if at all during the races

It wouldn't matter JC has mentioned loads of times about getting a string of tickets in Nevada. "I just threw them in the bin at the airport, got on a plane and went home".

Top Gear Girl said:
bartboy9891 said:
the Police are a little more lenient toward their races and such, Clarkson got pulled over rarely if at all during the races

It wouldn't matter JC has mentioned loads of times about getting a string of tickets in Nevada. "I just threw them in the bin at the airport, got on a plane and went home".
hahha yea your right. :lol:
but still, if you're a dick to the cop that pulled you over he would probably take you in (knowing clarkson that is bound to happen), they are that bitchy sometimes.

Most car shows in the US involve restoring or customizing cars (Overhaulin', American Hot Rod, Trucks, Hot Rod, Pimp my Spud), and the other few that are actually about cars, Car and Driver Television being the only one I've ever heard of or seen. And my God, is it boring! Larry Webster's girly, adolescent voice could put a field of espresso-chugging hyenas to sleep, or murder! I don't care how good of a value the B9 Tribeca is for suburban mothers, I want to see how many caravans it can clear from a 20-foot high jump! :twisted:

Basically, they could have a bunch of African green monkeys bang out a few scripts involving tea and dead Russian philosophers, and it'd be better than the stuff we're forced to watch.

American car shows are pretty much the polar opposite of any form of Top Gear. Every time any of them come on, I dive for the remote. There's nothing thrilling about:

Host 1: OK, here we have the new Chevy HHR. It is built on the Cobalt platform. We liked its looks, and its interior was nice.
(shot of car driving around golf course road at 15 mph, MIDI-quality music playing in the background)
Tom didn't like the cupholders, but I did. I also like the storage pockets.
Host 2: While I disagreed with Bill about the cupholders, we both agreed that we liked the wheels. All-in-all, with a price of (whatever), the HHR should prove to be a good value for people looking for practicality and price.

Atomic Glee said:
American car shows are pretty much the polar opposite of any form of Top Gear. Every time any of them come on, I dive for the remote. There's nothing thrilling about:

Host 1: OK, here we have the new Chevy HHR. It is built on the Cobalt platform. We liked its looks, and its interior was nice.
(shot of car driving around golf course road at 15 mph, MIDI-quality music playing in the background)
Host 2: While I disagreed with Bill about the cupholders, we both agreed that we liked the wheels. All-in-all, with a price of (whatever), the HHR should prove to be a good value for people looking for practicality and price.
Same thing happens here (Mexico) and I know why.... it's the car manufacturers who pay for the damn programs!!! How can you be impartial (and tear the car to bits) when you are on Ford's or Chrysler's or GM's payroll?
How long would the show last if one of those US presenters said: "And here we have the new Chevy HHR... and its a load of old crap!)
Not long I should think!!

Atomic Glee said:

You've hit the nail on the head!

thank god for finalgear then eh?

I have to say im pretty dissapointed with Discovery Channel lately. The american version of Top Gear was pretty popular with alot of people I knew, and it had a pretty good lead in show with mythbusters. Oh well just gives them a reason to show another american chopper episode that has allready been on 100 times.

I read somewhere ( I think it was here) that there is a true US spin off of Top Gear n production right now... can anyone verify that?