Top Gear US - Gone?

transtek said:
Atomic Glee said:
American car shows are pretty much the polar opposite of any form of Top Gear. Every time any of them come on, I dive for the remote. There's nothing thrilling about:

Host 1: OK, here we have the new Chevy HHR. It is built on the Cobalt platform. We liked its looks, and its interior was nice.
(shot of car driving around golf course road at 15 mph, MIDI-quality music playing in the background)
Tom didn't like the cupholders, but I did. I also like the storage pockets.
Host 2: While I disagreed with Bill about the cupholders, we both agreed that we liked the wheels. All-in-all, with a price of (whatever), the HHR should prove to be a good value for people looking for practicality and price.
Same thing happens here (Mexico) and I know why.... it's the car manufacturers who pay for the damn programs!!! How can you be impartial (and tear the car to bits) when you are on Ford's or Chrysler's or GM's payroll?
How long would the show last if one of those US presenters said: "And here we have the new Chevy HHR... and its a load of old crap!)
Not long I should think!!

Heck, here in the Philippines "car shows" are a lot wose. We see a 15-second clip of a car making a right turn, then they show the host in a dinner along with some car company exec nobody cares about for the next 15 minutes. After that, they show a certain "fuel economy run" done by some oil company, where all they show is a bunch of Honda Jazzes rolling out of a gas station, cruising down a highway, and pulling up in another gas station. And they conclude that the new "UltraSaver Fuel" is a lot more economical, when it was all down to the car!

Host (Philippine Style): The new Chevrolet Optra has an all-new look, and boasts a 1.6 liter E-TEC engine. Here is Mr. <American or Chinese sounding name> from GM... <cut to some guy you've never seen before nor care about>.

Top Gear style: Here is the new... Daewoo Optra. Don't let the badge fool you, it's actually a Daewoo. It's exactly the same as the old one, except for that new front grill. So what this really is, is the same old rubbish, except uglier.

LOL... that was great!

Re: Top Gear US - Gone?

Atomic Glee said:
Hi all - my first post around here. I've been a huge Top Gear fan for a while now, ever since myself and the other few guys that worked at the European car dealership I used to work for started downloading and passing around clips from the UK version.

Now, I understand that Top Gear US on the Discovery channel was far from being the best version of the show (trust me, I know from the UK clips), but I was still excited to see it *finally* on the air in the US in some form. Even in the US version, it was still light-years beyond any of the horrible car shows we have over here. During last night's episode, Discovery ran some promos for its "new Wednesday night" lineup, and a series called "Beyond Boundaries" was slotted in Top Gear's 10:00 Eastern/9:00 Central time slot. Puzzled, since the ads made no mention of where Top Gear was going, I inquired to Discovery channel. I figured that maybe the show was taking a hiatus while work was done on the new season in the UK, but Discovery's reply was far less encouraging:

-----
Thank you for contacting Discovery Networks. We appreciate your interest
in our programming. Unfortunately, "Top Gear" is no longer being produced.
Please check discovery.com for future airdates of programs already
produced.

A reply to this message is not necessary. For more information about
schedules and programming check our website, www.discovery.com. If you
have any further inquiries or comments, please contact us via our webform
at http://extweb.discovery.com/ViewerRelations. Thank you again for
expressing your interest in our programming.

Sincerely,
Kari
Viewer Relations
Discovery Networks
-----

The way they're phrasing it, it sounds like Top Gear US is basically over and done with, gone from the channel. If so, this royally stinks. Does anybody else know anything about this? :(

Two Words CSI NY!!!!!

can't move it to 9 pm BEcuse Lost is on....

*time is est for me so yeah...*

Z3R0 117 said:
Atomic Glee said:
Hi all - my first post around here. I've been a huge Top Gear fan for a while now, ever since myself and the other few guys that worked at the European car dealership I used to work for started downloading and passing around clips from the UK version.

Now, I understand that Top Gear US on the Discovery channel was far from being the best version of the show (trust me, I know from the UK clips), but I was still excited to see it *finally* on the air in the US in some form. Even in the US version, it was still light-years beyond any of the horrible car shows we have over here. During last night's episode, Discovery ran some promos for its "new Wednesday night" lineup, and a series called "Beyond Boundaries" was slotted in Top Gear's 10:00 Eastern/9:00 Central time slot. Puzzled, since the ads made no mention of where Top Gear was going, I inquired to Discovery channel. I figured that maybe the show was taking a hiatus while work was done on the new season in the UK, but Discovery's reply was far less encouraging:

-----
Thank you for contacting Discovery Networks. We appreciate your interest
in our programming. Unfortunately, "Top Gear" is no longer being produced.
Please check discovery.com for future airdates of programs already
produced.

A reply to this message is not necessary. For more information about
schedules and programming check our website, www.discovery.com. If you
have any further inquiries or comments, please contact us via our webform
at http://extweb.discovery.com/ViewerRelations. Thank you again for
expressing your interest in our programming.

Sincerely,
Kari
Viewer Relations
Discovery Networks
-----

The way they're phrasing it, it sounds like Top Gear US is basically over and done with, gone from the channel. If so, this royally stinks. Does anybody else know anything about this? :(

Two Words CSI NY!!!!!

can't move it to 9 pm BEcuse Lost is on....

*time is est for me so yeah...*

Uhh I doubt that's the reason they cancelled the show. It's more likely that they didn't get the response they figured they would with the show being imported from the UK. The show did suck a lot compared to what was shown on BBC2, since they had to take all the humor out of the show for fear of stupid people.

The next question we should ask though, is whether it would be possible to get Top Gear on BBC America, since they currently show British TV shows, without editing to sanitize it for an american audience.

self loving etc
Jeremy's not self-loving. If anything, he's self-depricating:

"Even I, who is 100% fat, can do it"
"I don't actually have a hairstyle, just hair"
"The best helicopter in the world flown by the best pilots in the world against the best handling car in the world, driven by an idiot"

:D

hokiethang said:
The next question we should ask though, is whether it would be possible to get Top Gear on BBC America, since they currently show British TV shows, without editing to sanitize it for an american audience.

That is exactly what I have been wanting sinceI discovered TG in the first place.. I even wrote to BBCA asking if they would ever consider it. We should all start to continually contact them about it so as to annoy themuntil they finally give in andjust do it :D