Top Gear USA on NBC official! Eric Stromer is third host

Wondering if Supercars Exposed show is dead now...

one can only hope...that show was painful to watch.

But sadly it will be replaced with some tripe like Wrecked New York edition because the Wrecked Chicago edition will storm up the charts and become Speed's "reality" summer hit.

And we'll get even LESS racing on Speed, which I didn't think was possible.

Stromer's okay on his HGTV show...my wife watches it from time to time.

He's still not my fear. Celica....er..Carolla is, he's not a strong "lead" guy.

i'm guessing stromer is supposed to be the odd ball (ie. james may) - the quirky one of the three who always comes up with the most beautifully asinine ideas, especially for competitions. however, like the rest of you, i don't understand why he'd be cast to host an automotive show, especially one like top gear. as eccentric as james may be, atleast he possess some affinity for automobiles, especially the classics, and he also is interested in mechanical engineering, amongst other interests that can be related to transportation. eric stromer got booted from a soap opera so he reverted back to messing with houses. how is he going to contribute to the show? is he going to be designing the sets?

I really hope they work something out with sponsors so they can be critical. Seeing praise for cars every week would give me the shits..

This is good! You have Adam the gearhead, Tanner the driver, and Eric seems to be the "mans man", I suppose.

I really hope they work something out with sponsors so they can be critical. Seeing praise for cars every week would give me the shits..

Genius post. I feer that NBC might step in and get caught with their hand in the cookie car so to speak and who knows what might happen. I don't want a copy of C&D TV, Motorweek, or Motortrend TV. Those shows are rubbish.

Even if TG US has to nick the UK format, presenter personalities, challenges, and the lot at least I pray for a "legitimate" review. I want to see someone review a car like the UK presenters do. "thats rubbish" "thats hideous" And so on.

Well, they can be critical to a point, but they can also just not review cars they don't like. That's a lot better than reviewing shitty cars and BS'ing.

Then again look at Fifth Gear.

Adam as explicitly said on his radio show that they are allowed to say whatever they want about the cars they review.

*Crosses fingers, toes, legs, and arms* I really hope this will be good.

Adam as explicitly said on his radio show that they are allowed to say whatever they want about the cars they review.
Do you happen to remember what day / segment that was said in? I wanna listen. ^_^

My first reaction upon looking at the photo of those three was, "who's the grizzly bear in the center?"

This is good! You have Adam the gearhead, Tanner the driver, and Eric seems to be the "mans man", I suppose.

Or the "ladies' man", apparently. Anybody forsee a Stromer Heaven popping up soon? :yucky:

After all, he did used to be on Santa Barbara...

........ however, like the rest of you, i don't understand why he'd be cast to host an automotive show, especially one like top gear.......

He's a face, you think NBC would forget something to draw in the female viewers? You get the ladies watching too, you can advertise to ladies = more $$$ in their pockets. They aren't stupid, if they were they couldn't pay Leno his $520,000 a week salary. It's all about the $$$$.

I can't pass much judgement on the guy since I've never heard of him, but Tanner Foust is useless, I'll watch for Adam, he may be our only hope.

It's kind of funny, they've got Stromer for a face, Foust for driving skill, and Adam for knowledge and comedy.....and I don't doubt that is exactly how they (NBC) looked at it, "Ok, we need a funny guy, a guy who can drive and someone too look at..." Good ole network TV <_<

I just noticed their hair type matches their roles with Adam being the Clarksonian figure, Tanner as the little guy and Stromer as the... uh... other one, I guess.

Top-Gear-USA-First-Picture.jpg

He's a face, you think NBC would forget something to draw in the female viewers? You get the ladies watching too, you can advertise to ladies = more $$$ in their pockets. They aren't stupid, if they were they couldn't pay Leno his $520,000 a week salary. It's all about the $$$$.
No... That would be stupid. Women who wouldn't already like the show would not watch for Stromer, they enjoy him on the shows that they would already be interested in but he isn't a big celebrity and wouldn't be followed. Trying to cater to women who aren't the target audience would only alienate the male viewers who would have watched the show. I don't doubt that people at NBC use this sort of retard logic but there is no way that you would get more money by trying to change something to sell it to people who didn't originally want it and in the proccess ruining it for those who did originally want it. A jack of all trades is a master of none and networks make money by having a variety of shows that fill various niches.

Chances of working - Aussie version very good, US version the jury is out. Still if anyone does suck then we do have the Jason Dawe example. So stuff can be fixed - anyone remember Fifth Gear and whats his face - er Lovejoy (naw I treat that as a nasty nightmare to be forgotten).

Any how US TV can be very good, as they do know a thing or two about TV so here is hoping. One thing the US one has the younger guys, Aussie version next and TGs blokes are getting on a bit - Hmmmm.

BBC UK are a BIG part of developing the show. They aren't stupid and wouldn't let stupid shit fly.

Oh course NBC has their say too (like dumping Dan Neil), but I don't think they're stupid enough to ignore any advice from the hugely successful gang.

Now that's not to say the show will definitely be a success, but I for sure don't think it's a guaranteed fail, as long as people don't go in expecting TG UK.

Yes but you never really know until you do a few shows, the Aussie one just feels more settled, just saying. I really really hope that they all work then the possibilities are limitless - TG related stuff all year!