Top Gear USA -- The Presenters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the US Top Gear is not going to end up well.

Imagine a US revue.

"Tonight you'll have a big am?rican huggly car with poor handling :) ....A big american huggly car with poor interior :) and a big american fat star in our poor performance car."

That is going to be illarious Am?rica and real good cars is not compatible.

The only good thing is if the "Stig" is gonna be Sebastien Bourdais.

Suzem said:
I hope the US Top Gear is not going to end up well.

Imagine a US revue.

"Tonight you'll have a big am?rican huggly car with poor handling :) ....A big american huggly car with poor interior :) and a big american fat star in our poor performance car."

That is going to be illarious Am?rica and real good cars is not compatible.

The only good thing is if the "Stig" is gonna be Sebastien Bourdais.
How original. American cars can't handle, they have bad interiors, and Americans are fat and stupid. Gee, I've never heard that before! Thanks for shedding some light on us!

By the way, :welcome:

Thank you

Of course it was bad humour. That's like saying french cars are very bad (thats humour cause 4 Renault are classified cool on the cool wall):bangin:

But I am fed up with the way the american are making "remake" of good things Why do they want there own TG???

I know american car are not the same as our's, but you have to admit that amricans cars marker have different quality and dynamic standars than europe. Heven Toyota launch a car two years after in europe to improve quality.

But if they end up well, Sebastein Bourdain could make a very good Stig

*sigh*

cool wall has nothing do with how good a car is, it's how you look in it

Meet the blokes hosting Top Gear in the U.S.

large.jpg

Source AutoBlog:

We reported on a press release issued a while back that offered up some details about a forthcoming U.S. version of Top Gear. We learned that along with dropping the laid back and loitering look of the British version?s venue, the U.S. version will get new hosts, as well.

Thanks to Autoblog reader Berto, who noticed some new pics on Top Gear?s website, we can now introduce you to Top Gear America?s team of hosts. The Stig, however, has been imported in order to do the wheel work on the show.

We wish we could give you comprehensive bios on each new host, but all we got are some vagaries about each lug from Top Gear that goes something like this: ?Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph; John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint 'sir and m'am' good manners that only Americans can do; and Johnny, a former reality show winner with a nice line in weird humour.?

Perhaps I?m behind on my consumption of reality TV, but which one?s Johnny and what show was he on?

01large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Just seeing that picture has me dissapointed already......

Link to the new site about the show over on TopGear.com:

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/01/stories/08/1.html

yeah, i was very very dissappointed when i saw that set. I love the simple yet modern motiffe on the UKTG set, but with this USTG it looks like my buddys garage minus the beer pong table. A shabby old couch, a table made of tires, and what looks like a 25 year old television... God what an image of American life this show is gonna portray.

That's America for you. I hope they can make up for it with their charisma and interactions without having to talk about sex or fart jokes every 5 minutes before they cut to another Coors Light commercial. "...AND TWINS!" :roll:

:yucky:

i realy hope it dosent suck... but im sure it will.

they all look like they're hicks

bartboy9891 said:

I wouldn't say that they look like hicks but they do look like 90% of American men. I don't think they did that by accident. I don't care much what it looks inside, it is what happens outside that counts. How about we all watch an episode before we make conclusions. If the show is bad it will be cancelled, if it is good then it will stay. Also, the European Top Gear tests many cars that are not for sale in the United States. With more American cars it will appeal to a large audience.

jetsetter said:
bartboy9891 said:

I wouldn't say that they look like hicks but they do look like 90% of American men. I don't think they did that by accident. I don't care much what it looks inside, it is what happens outside that counts. How about we all watch an episode before we make conclusions. If the show is bad it will be cancelled, if it is good then it will stay. Also, the European Top Gear tests many cars that are not for sale in the United States. With more American cars it will appeal to a large audience.

Thats the problem! I don't want to see the same old crap we get here in the US. I want to see the great mix TG uses of amazing emotional cars and once in a while the good old regular car for you and me. Can you imagine them trying to do a test drive of a freakin Cobalt????? :thumbsdown:

I hope they ship over a bunch of these Euro cars and talk about how the American companies aren't bringing them over when they should.

jetsetter said:
I don't care much what it looks inside, it is what happens outside that counts.

Well, kinda. Many of us all agreed that May, Hammond, and Clarkson could host a show on dishwashers and each and everyone of us would still TiVo it. My point being, the show is about the cars, but its just as much about the comradery, dialogue, and chemistry between the presenters, crew, audience, and cars. It's a perfect 50/50 blend.

To be honest from the looks of it, we aren't going to see any intelligent cotent analogies(Clarkson), NO sophisticated humor(May), and no suave playboys (does that discribe Hammond? kinda sorta?). There looks to be not one gentlemen, there's garbage on the floor in front of the table, Hell, it doesn't even look like we are going to have an audience to work with....

To be totally honest, this looks like it is being produced with the same set designer as the guy that did the Waynes World skits on Saturday Night Live.

/end rant.
//it's late. I get mean when I'm tired.
///get meant? or get honest?
////slashie slashie.

bartboy9891 said:

I agree...and I'm a Californian originally from Montana.
Yeah, MT is one of the US states. :roll:

The problem I see is that it will probably have the typical Macho feel to it like Monster Garage, Biker Build-off, etc... :(

That's one thing I have always like about Top Gear, the lack of our (USA) stupid machismo...The three presenters are all inteligent, fairly sophisticated men. But they can still act like they're 9yrs old around the supercars and with their jokes and it's funny. Watching some Ken (Ken and Barbie) wannabe and a drag racer act childish over a car would probably just make my stomach turn.

Also, being that JC and May are both automotive journalists, they have knowledge and access to what's what and who's who in the automotive world.

What do the TG USA crew have to offer?????
Why couldn't they find a couple journalists from Motor Trend, Car and Driver or Road and Track...and possibly Jay Leno. :(

And don't even get me started on the comercials and product plugs we are going to have to endure. :censored:

Ok, sorry for the rant but the pic's really make it look like it's gonna suck!

I really don't see what you people are complaining about. You have a grand total of 4 pictures, zero video footage, and zero idea of what it's going to be like.

But, nooo, you have to whine like the sky is falling and assume that the show will be poor because it's American. Come on. All the BBC/Discovery Channel has to do is sit the presenters down and have them watch all the modern Top Gear episodes and show them what they have to live up to. And I'm willing to bet they've probably done that.

Oh, look, they changed the studio style so it's not a Top Gear UK clone! Oh, n03s! Why can't it be exactly like Top Gear UK! :cry:

Oh, look, they're drag racing a Mustang and a Charger! That must mean that the whole show will be about straight line speed and nothing else! Let's conveniently forget that they flew the goddamn Stig over to do laps on a test track - which just might suggest that they might consider handling to be something important.

But no, you'd all rather wax poetic about how bad it will be, this show you've never seen, just because it doesn't have Jeremy Fucking Clarkson.

For crying out loud, you'd think you'd be happy to have more Top Gear to watch. It seems the lot of you would rather complain about possible flaws than give it an even chance. How about we see the show before spending 3 pages and 2 different topics bashing it, hm? :x

Well I'll not write it off until I've seen it. No reason why it can't work.

Anyone know what the 'Reasonably Priced Car' is going to be?

Aren't all US cars reasonably priced anyway?

Matthew

qube said:
Well I'll not write it off until I've seen it. No reason why it can't work.

Anyone know what the 'Reasonably Priced Car' is going to be?

Aren't all US cars reasonably priced anyway?

Matthew

Funny ;).

Maybe a Chevrolet Coblat. It would be a great plug for GM as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.