Top Gear vs Fifth Gear

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
So, I've started watching Top Gear's seasons backwards, I've already watched season 11 and season 10. I noticed those three stooges talking about this Fifht Gear show and it looked like it's some kind of rival to TG.

Then, I read that Fifth Gear it's really a spin-off of TG. So...

What's the difference between TG and FG?

Short answer: Fifth Gear is a BIT more serious than Top Gear, or it was at least.

Many people here will say: If you don't like Top Gear because its become about the entertainment and not about the cars go watch Fifth Gear.

Fifth Gear is on Channel 5 and 45 min per ep with commercial breaks

Top Gear is on BBC 2 and almost 1 hr with no commerical breaks

Those are the main objective differences between the shows, any other differences is going to be widely subjective opinion sort of based on fact.

I love Fifth Gear... it's really good if you judge it separate of Top Gear.

For one, they always seem to get the good cars earlier to review than TG. They produce a lot more episodes a year... and Tiff, Tom, Jason and Jonny are actually very entertaining.

I think they would be a lot better if they didn't constantly aspire to be TG, the whole show has a different feel than Top Gear.

Simple answer is that I watch both. In short, Fifth Gear is more focused on car-related issues while Top Gear is more focused on the entertainment side of television.

I watched my first episode of Fifth Gear today (well, the first that I realised - I only started watching Top Gear seriously fairly recently, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen Fifth Gear before and thought I was watching Top Gear). I actually really enjoyed it because they just kind of get on with the car reviews - much as I enjoy the TG guys dicking about, I am a geek at heart and like watching the car stuff too. I still haven't finished the episode though - my mum has no interest in the show and made me stop halfway through.

I think most people here have summed it up nicely. Top Gear is three guys spending a lot of time joking around, and having some fun, with some car stuff packed in (generally speaking). Fifth Gear is a lot more guys and a girl doing a whole lot less joking around, and giving you decent reviews on decent cars, that you might actually buy.
I watch both. Personally prefer Top Gear, but I still enjoy a bit of Fifth Gear here and there.

short answer is: use the search function

Or read the comments above this asshole -__- and perhaps dl a few episodes and watch it. I recommend the season 13 bc they got some really good stuff.

Or read the comments above this asshole -__- and perhaps dl a few episodes and watch it. I recommend the season 13 bc they got some really good stuff.

:lol:

Nothing friendly about Handonam's answer, but I get where he's coming from. This topic has been argued on these boards time and time again, with most people saying the same stuff. There really isn't a need for a repeat.

:This topic has been argued on these boards time and time again, with most people saying the same stuff. There really isn't a need for a repeat.
Actually this thread was about the differences between TG and FG:

What's the difference between TG and FG?
But the thread title was deceiving.

Anyways Pedrocas - download the latest series of Fifth Gear. I highly recommend it.

People should still learn to use search and read the other dozen threads covering the same topic. All he has done is create yet another thread to sift thru when the next smart person decides to do a search.

Actually this thread was about the differences between TG and FG.

Did I say any differently? I mean there are probably dozens of threads about which show is better, about how they differ, about why they're so similar, etc.

I don't want to know wich show is better, I just wanted to know what is different about each other. And now I know, thanks to whoever kindly answered my question.

@SL65: I'm downloading it right now.

Did I say any differently? I mean there are probably dozens of threads about which show is better, about how they differ, about why they're so similar, etc.
Oh I thought you mis-read. Your right, there are plenty of threads about which show is better. I can't recall threads about the differences between the two though.

Meh.

My biggest beef with Fifth Gear is the presenters. They are really bad.
For me, the only thing worth watching is the duels and car testing done by Tiff and Jason.

I think FG has improved post Lovejoy and is nearly on a par with TG for fun fgactor IMHO. The differences have been covered in general but one thing you will notice as you go back in FG is that it has changed alot more than TG over the years, they have used more locations and presenters for instance. They rarely have a spot with more than two presenters too.

The early ones were a lot more UK centric and factual than the last series but that was still based upon cars 100%. Not the dicking about that TG does.

FG presenters

FG presenters

My biggest beef with Fifth Gear is the presenters. They are really bad.
For me, the only thing worth watching is the duels and car testing done by Tiff and Jason.

Couldn't agree more. VB-H is very probably the most irritating presenter on UK TV. If she uses the expression 'what's a girl to do?' once more I will throw the TV out of the window. Girl? Oh, come on...and her over-claimed racing credential are pretty patchy.

Still, at least Tiff know's what he is talking about, though he is dining out on a long distant racing past. I do think Tom Ford would do well on TG, though. He's eccentric enough.

TG wins every time. Takes itself much less seriously, and the Botswana, Polar and 24 hour race challenges were iconic.

Fifth Gear is a long way off in terms of entertainment, but still a good car show. I'm not particularly crazy about the new guy this past season, though. He seems like a petrol head (more than we can say for Lovejoy), but I can't stand how they have him and Tom lounging on the couches whenever they do their segments. The new guy always wears those same dorky pants that are too short and is laying on the couch in a forced-looking relaxed pose. It's really uncomfortable to watch. Why can't they just be sitting there like normal people? Anyway, Fifth Gear has its place, but it'll never compare to TG. They have a different purpose in life.