Top Gear will return, BBC insists

maybe it will be on a different channel? Clarkson always hated the "unique" way the bbc was funded

Biddy said:
( though i really really am actually against my better thoughts .... starting to worry and generally not like this )

Why?

Timesonline Article said:
This was contradicted by the BBC, which said there was no doubt that the show would return with its original presenters ? Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May.

Just 'couse Clarkson hasn't commented doesn't mean he opposes or is hiding anything, he just might think it's very silly (or want to keep the buzz so people will read his columns).

maybe it will be on a different channel? Clarkson always hated the "unique" way the bbc was funded

Don't get him wrong, CLarkson doesn't hate the way the BBC is wrong. No other channel would/could give them that kind of money to play with.

Finding a new location shouldn't be a problem right? How many WWII airfields are in Southern Britain? There has to be dozens still around.

They tried to get RAF Elvington didnt they and got knocked back??

Finding a new location shouldn't be a problem right? How many WWII airfields are in Southern Britain? There has to be dozens still around.

there are loads but the runways are not maintained in most cases, so it will be harder to find one with a good quality surface I would think.

I love this, it seems that everyone has latched on to the comment about Top Gear not being back this summer. If you read the quote in context, I.E. clarkson commenting on Top Gear being back this summer, it makes sense...A summer special is not Top Gear.

This is just a bunch of papers trying to sell copies during a slow news week.

Everyone needs to calm down.

On another note, I doubt Top Gear could exist on any privately funded network. Right now the BBC just gets letters when ever one of the presenters says something offensive, could you imagine what would happen if the show was funded by ad revenue? They would have clarkson on such a tight leash he would be gone in a week.

I imagine it would go down something like this:

...what do you mean I cant call the proton a POS? What do I care if Lotus has threatened to pull its advertising dollars...

Last edited:
On another note, I doubt Top Gear could exist on any privately funded network. Right now the BBC just gets letters when ever one of the presenters says something offensive, could you imagine what would happen if the show was funded by ad revenue? They would have clarkson on such a tight leash he would be gone in a week.

Commercial television doesn't work that way in the United Kingdom. Advertisers don't have that kind of power here. This is not America.

I highly doubt an advertiser would continue to use a network which portrayed their product in a negative light anywhere in the world, not just America...thats just common sense.

Has anyone else noticed how these articles are being put into what I'd dub 'Anti-Clarkson' papers? ie; The Times and such?

yes, the times is very very anti clarkson

they hate him so much they pay him

Remember that the BBC is a very "pink" organisation, left wing and now green in a political sense. There must be many people within the organisation who loathe JC.

I have just read a Sunday Times artical by Johnny Vaughn (JV) stating that Michael Grade (MG) who has just taken over at the ITV is desperate to cut some of the god awful crap that they have been putting out and that he is looking for quality programming. JV was actually speculating that MG would be after doing something like Top Gear and or their personnel to do a car show, and he wants to build ITVs Sunday Schedule around that show.

I am at work at the moment - will try to post a scan (may not work) when I get home.

Remember that the BBC is a very "pink" organisation, left wing and now green in a political sense. There must be many people within the organisation who loathe JC.

I have just read a Sunday Times artical by Johnny Vaughn (JV) stating that Michael Grade (MG) who has just taken over at the ITV is desperate to cut some of the god awful crap that they have been putting out and that he is looking for quality programming. JV was actually speculating that MG would be after doing something like Top Gear and or their personnel to do a car show, and he wants to build ITVs Sunday Schedule around that show.

I am at work at the moment - will try to post a scan (may not work) when I get home.

is it this article?

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article1492241.ece

Some elements of the BBC may not like what Top Gear does, but I'm sure all elements like the ratings it brings in...

I might be wrong, but isn't the BBC funded by televison licence fees (indirectly via the governemnt)? more people paying the fees to get the licence means more money for the BBC.

Also from my experince the BBC has always offered a very broad political view...very different from our CBC here in Canada, which tends to lean more towards the left and center.

No the government are not supposed to interfere other than having a say in the make up of the governing board. The money goes straight from the collection to the BBC. If it did not the government would take a hughe slice of it away - like, well car tax is not used to build roads its intended purpose, nor is the NI fund used to pay for the NHS actually.

Any way the printed version of the artical - it is the same as the one above - but a promise is a promise. ...

http://img253.imageshack.**/img253/8854/img532xl8.jpg

Probably can not see it to read it any way - just use the link in the above post kindly provided by biddy.