Top Gear's Art Exhibition

Thank you for tracking this down LC. Oh, Lord !! I'm only about 40 miles away!! :shock:

That's kinda weird coz after I heard James talking about it I got it into my head (for no good reason ) they might be coming up here and checked all the Newcastle galleries' websites. Never considered Middlesborough - I didn't know they had any art galleries :lol:

Looks like I'm gonna be spending Saturday in Middlesborough then :D

Last edited:
Looks like I'm gonna be spending Saturday in Middlesborough then :D

Pebblepixie, you just have been promoted to Final Gear's Senior Arts Correspondent! :D

It would be cool to see what they came up with. I'm thinking of doing an art project on cars, so it should give me some good idea as to what I should (or shouldn't) do.

It would be cool to see what they came up with. I'm thinking of doing an art project on cars, so it should give me some good idea as to what I should (or shouldn't) do.

If there's any kind of exhibition guide there on the day I'll make sure I get one and upload a scan or two.

Went to the exhibition yesterday and really enjoyed it. There was a good mixture of sculpture, paintings and photography as well as some cars and they filled all 3 floors of the gallery. I was impressed. Really, it was a proper serious exhibition - though some of the "artists' statements" were hilarious. Colin Chapman's Lotus drawings were just awesome but the biggest surprise for me were the pictures Richard mentioned in the Gazette that were done with remote control cars - absolutely stunning.

Each of the presenters had done their own pieces of artwork too. Of the three I thought James' was the best.

Anyways, when I arrived at 12 Jeremy and James had just come out with the film crew to talk to people in the queue. They all did a few bits of filming outside over the next couple of hours and some of it was streamed to a huge screen in the square, including a (much too) close-up of Jeremy's tongue for some reason :shock2:

Didn't get a chance to speak to any of them - they were dashing about all over the place most of the time and when they were outside there was a constant scrum of people followiing them around.

We weren't allowed to take photos inside the gallery and there was no printed exhibition guide unfortunately so I've got no pictures to show you (sorry). I did try to take a couple outside but I was high on too much caffiene by that point and too far away so all I got was camera shake :cry:

From nufc.com
Car connoisseurs, Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond turned up at The Riverside on Saturday to witness Gordon Strachan's side actually score a goal for the new manager but their garb seemed to unsettle the natives.

http://img187.imageshack.**/img187/4808/topgear.jpg
Usually known for their knowledge of tyres, rather than their attire, the Toon tops didn't seem to go down too well with the few smoggies that had bothered to turn up for the game against Nottingham Forest.

Presumably the visit to smogside will feature later in the current series of Top Gear but the presenters were in the area filming at the mima art gallery, where they are staging an exhibition.

The stunt proves that they learnt nothing from their brush with hicks in the States when they infuriated Alabama's inhabitants by daubing their motors with "Man Love Rules", "Hilary for President", "Country and Western is Rubbish" and "Nascar Sucks".

They managed to get away from the Bible belt with a mild stoning but it's not known if they escaped unscathed from the smellnet. Hopefully they had been advised to take their gas-masks....

http://www.mfc.premiumtv.co.uk/articles/top-gear-trios-riverside-buzz-20091123_70639_1882869
Top Gear Trio?s Riverside Buzz

BORO may have struggled to get out of second gear against Nottingham Forest, but Top Gear's star presenters and adrenalin junkies left the Riverside buzzing about their experience.

BBC TV celebrities Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond delighted fans with a surprise half-time appearance on the Riverside pitch to promote their exhibition taking place all this week at Middlesbrough's mima art gallery.........