Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson faces row over new Gordon Brown slur

Gibby

Car(s)
Ford Fiesta ST & Triumph TR7
From The Guardian:

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson risks ire after making another offensive comment about the prime minister

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson is facing new controversy after making another offensive comment about the prime minister, Gordon Brown, in front of the hit BBC2 show's studio audience.

Clarkson, who previously had to apologise to the prime minister in February after calling him "a one-eyed Scottish idiot", is understood to have described Brown as a "cunt" in not-for-broadcast comments to the studio audience during the recording of this week's Top Gear programme on Wednesday night.

The BBC2 controller, Janice Hadlow, was present at the recording and is said to have confronted Clarkson about the remark.

A BBC spokeswoman confirmed that the pair had a "conversation", but said the issue was now over.

"There was a discussion about the programme," she said. "It is certainly not an ongoing issue."

It is understood that Hadlow did not ask Clarkson to apologise for the incident.

At the filming of the previous week's Top Gear, on Wednesday 15 July, Clarkson called Brown a "cunt" as part of a joke he made in front of the studio audience, one person present told MediaGuardian.co.uk. This remark was not included in the transmitted version of the show on Sunday, 19 July.

During a press conference in February in Australia, Clarkson compared Brown to Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd, after Rudd had just addressed the country on the global financial crisis.

"It's the first time I've ever seen a world leader [Rudd] admit we really are in deep shit," Clarkson was reported as saying in the Australian newspaper.

"He genuinely looked terrified. Poor man, he's actually seen the books. We have this one-eyed Scottish idiot who keeps telling us everything's fine and he's saved the world, and we know he's lying but he's smooth at telling us."

Clarkson, whose Sunday Times columns are syndicated in the Weekend Australian, was referring to Brown, who lost his sight in one eye in an accident playing rugby as a teenager.

Clarkson was forced to apologise after a barrage of criticism from politicians and disability groups.

In a statement, he said: "In the heat of the moment I made a remark about the prime minister's personal appearance for which, upon reflection, I apologise."

Clarkson is no stranger to controversy. In November last year he opened the latest series of Top Gear by suggesting that truck drivers only cared about fuel prices and murdering prostitutes, drawing hundreds of complaints.

The presenter and his Top Gear co-hosts were also condemned by the BBC Trust in July for "glamourising the misuse of alcohol" by drinking at the wheel during a Polar special.

The BBC Trust's editorial complaints unit said a special edition of the motoring show, aired in July 2007, in which Clarkson and co-host James May attempted to drive a pickup truck to the magnetic north pole, broke its guidelines.

In the programme, Clarkson and May were shown drinking gin and tonics as they raced Richard Hammond, who was using a sled pulled by a team of dogs, to reach the pole.

More details soon...

Source

"Oh, he said a rude word... I could make some money if I told a newspaper..."

The only solution to such retarded audiences is to introduce a strict "Final Gear members only" policy.

I don't see any problem there since we all know Gordon Brown is a **** anyway. The Daily Fail must be rubbing its hands at the moment and setting their sights on this weeks episode.

Well that is quite poor form... I mean if he made comments on the show or to a press conference then yeah, haul him up for it - but just as a joke in passing? Come on - surely they can rise above the daily fail. It should be a non-issue!

Clarkson creates headlines, watch Top Gear ratings go trough the roof this Sunday.

So he makes a joke at the studio...which is CLEARLY not going to make it to the air.

So only because some idiot spokeswoman at the recording took offense, slapped Jezza's wrist and them blabbed to someone, who then blabbed to press, here we are again.:rolleyes:

The world is full of fucking morons!!!:mad:

I'm pretty sure that most of the British have said some un-complementary things about the great Sir Brown but no one demanded an apology. Get your own publicity, leave Top Gear alone.

I think this thread is the appropriate location for this, which I have shamelessly stolen from the demotivator thread

motivator05055dfa878cc7.jpg

whey, probably a good thing he wasn't wearing his new favourite t-shirt.

what?s the problem with calling your PM a **** ?
sure he?s not the first one to say something like that, nor the last one, and the joke wasn?t even aired

what?s the problem with calling your PM a **** ?
sure he?s not the first one to say something like that, nor the last one, and the joke wasn?t even aired

some people forget that we're living in a democracy where your allowed to air your views and speak your mind. otherwise i'm sure North Korea or other Dictatorships would gladly welcome them. In the words of Eric Cartman, "If they don't like it, they can get the fudge out."

Gotta love it, if Jeremy was a black woman, there wouldn't be such a "row" over this. But since he's a middle aged white man, he can't say anything because he could offend somebody.

I'd like to see that pansy ass BBC2 controller confront a black woman about making an apology...

Respect, it's a one way street when you're a white male. You have to respect everybody's feelings, nobody has to respect yours at all.

Last edited:
People who write or complain about things Jeremy's said are perhaps very bored. He has the right to say what he thinks. There are more important issues in the world but maybe it's too hard to see them.

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned John Major, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown all let me and the country down, badly - they are all C***s, and what is coming up next - more of the same but posh - yuck.

My only problem with it would be that it's a word that's insulting to women.

I said would be - I wasn't there, didn't hear it with my own ears thus I care not a fig. But Clarkson will be delighted as this just serves to uphold his image as a cross between Alan Partridge and Johnny Rotten.

Which is always going to attract a gazillion viewers.

But Gordon Brown comes across as a total cunt, so what's the problem here?

offensive, derogatory, homophobe... my ass.
for fuck's sake, what the hell is going on with the morons getting so much attention these days? and I do mean those PC morons, those intolerant haters who would gladly control what all of us think and say.

the nation that is known for the best humour in the world now is on the verge of becoming a big joke itself....