News: Top Ten Worst Selling Cars In America, 2010 Edition

Bah, get a BMW instead.

746px-Bmw.isetta.arp.jpg

isetta.jpg

That's the thing. Your subjective opinion is that it is pointless in the NA market.
I didn't see many of them in Greece either, in fact I think more of them in Manhattan... It's not very good for the EU market either it seems :) (considering the roads in Greece and parking situation it would SEEM like a perfect car there)
I say I managed fine threading into German highways with cars doing the same sprint in 17.5s (Fox, even slower with the N/A 1.7D T3).
Here is one of the fine and well designed on-ramps onto an Expressway (hint: they have 18 wheelers on it) use the tool to look around and imagine how difficult it is to merge on without being able to see the cars in the right lane because of a downhill turn...

Last edited:
I didn't see many of them in Greece either, in fact I think more of them in Manhattan... It's not very good for the EU market either it seems :) (considering the roads in Greece and parking situation it would SEEM like a perfect car there)
There's actually quite a few around here in Vancouver, BC... maybe because we have a lot of unmetered street parking? Or maybe because back when I bought it the federal government gave a $2000 rebate and the provincial government refunded the sales tax on Smart cars because of their fuel efficiency. It's not the best car around, sure, but it was the smallest car available in this market and a good $10k less than the Mini. I still use it for commuting, groceries, visiting friends... pretty much everything except out of province trips and track days.

It's not a great on-ramp, obviously. The road it merges with looks crappy as well. What's the speed limit on that highway?

Also, if a truck manages to get on there... why would you in a small car need lots of power?

Additionally, a hint for the guy in the black van: Don't drive up to the edge of the on-ramp and then stop. Stop as soon as you can see the oncoming cars, look for a gap, accelerate before the gap is there. Then you'll carry some speed already when merging into the free spot.

use the tool to look around

I did.

Last edited:
It's not a great on-ramp, obviously. The road it merges with looks crappy as well. What's the speed limit on that highway?
45 IIRC but few people go below 60 or so.
Also, if a truck manages to get on there... why would you in a small car need lots of power?
The truck will pretty much just start merging on and everyone will stop or crash into a truck, truck doesn't particularly care if you crash into it since he might not even notice it.

Additionally, a hint for the guy in the black van: Don't drive up to the edge of the on-ramp and then stop. Stop as soon as you can see the oncoming cars, look for a gap, accelerate before the gap is there. Then you'll carry some speed already when merging into the free spot.
These shots don't really show the real terror of this on ramp, it comes out more after dark obviously but the camera is mounted somewhat high on the Google van but from a normal car you can see VERY little. The on ramp is basically after a crest and a turn in the road so you can't easily tell which lane the cars are in (right or middle). I don't even go on that on ramp with the Audi, I used to do it with a Buick that had damn near no pick up. Lots of close calls and wrecked nerves.
Lulz

Having a more powerful car will not solve that problem, judging by you avoiding it with your turbo. Let the rightmost lane turn off at the previous off-ramp and give the entire rightmost lane to merging cars at the on-ramp. Problem solved with a bucket of paint.

Must we have this conversation again?
I'll use the same example as last time, The fabric store I shop at. Speed limit of this road is 55 mph. Speed of traffic is usually more than that. The "on ramp" is 3 car lengths. My car that is a full second faster than a smart can not do that safely so I have to use the back entrance, most stores on that road however, do not have one of those.
The smart's category is toy, as in anything impractical for most people's use. A car where you make a conscious decision to sacrifice practicality for usually fun like you may do if you are buying a large offroader or a small 2 seater sports car. The problem with this is a smart car is only fun in the way it looks, so if you want to buy a slow, poorly built vehicle built by a german owned company that does nothing but look cute, buy my car and get rear seats, storage space, and some crumple zones.

Having a more powerful car will not solve that problem, judging by you avoiding it with your turbo. Let the rightmost lane turn off at the previous off-ramp and give the entire rightmost lane to merging cars at the on-ramp. Problem solved with a bucket of paint.
It's not THAT fast of a car and I generally don't want to deal with that on-ramp there is one a bit further from there which is much easier and adds at most 2-3 minutes to my drive. A faster car would decrease the closing speed, for instance if I'm in something that will get to 40-45 in about 5 seconds or so, I can fairly safely starting moving if there is no car at the crest of the hill. By the time the car that crests the hill at the exact time I start moving will reach the point of where I start I will be going at around 45. Braking for 60 to 45 is not that hard and a closing speed of 15mph is not that quick either, especially since I would still be accelerating.

Now take something like a Smart or a similarly slow car, it will take 10 seconds or so to get to the same 45mph, which means that any car that crests that hill will be easily going twice your speed. That means that the other driver would need to react very quickly to your car randomly showing up in front of him, if he cares to since you are the one getting onto the road and he has the right of way.

I'll give you another example. Getting onto I-95 from a rest stop with a fairly long acceleration lane I had to go on a shoulder once to merge on because traffic was moving 80+ and my car could not get to that speed in time and there was a truck in the right lane....
some crumple zones.
Hey a Smart can come with up to two crumple zones... Driver and passenger :p

Last edited:
Speed limit of this road is 55 mph. Speed of traffic is usually more than that. The "on ramp" is 3 car lengths.

No car can get to 55mph within three car lengths.

Prizrak, the problems you describe are not unique to the Smart, apparently most cars have trouble in those road situations. Fix the roads, more power will not solve that problem.

Last edited:
No, obviously not. You have to wait for a gap like you recommend with the underpowered cars, but in this case if your car is underpowered there is never a big enough gap.
Prizrak, the problems you describe are not unique to the Smart, apparently most cars have trouble in those road situations. Fix the roads, more power will not solve that problem.
Actually no. Most of the cars have a 0-60 time under 10 seconds. Most cars would be a toyota corolla which google says is 8.5 seconds. My car is about 12 seconds a smart is about 13. 10 years ago a toyota corolla still would do it in 10 seconds which makes buying a brand new car that is slower than that pretty damn unreasonable.

Fix the roads? Are you joking? Let me introduce you to what "fix the roads" sort of thing means. Some time in 1985 before I was born boston decided to change traffic flow on some bridges. They called it the big dig. It took 22 billion dollars and took until 2007.
The road I linked to? the whole fucking thing is like that. At least the bits I have been on a decent amount of times, which is about 10 miles of it. How long do you think it would take to fix that?

Last edited:
Narf, while your 'fix the roads' solution makes very good sense, I fail to see how it's a viable solution to me if I were looking to buy a new car for under 15 grand. I suppose I could write a check for the state, but I'm skeptical that it would result in all of these poorly designed roads being fixed.

wheels-Bugatti-Super-Sport-record-blogSpan.jpg

Would like a word.
The faster the car can accelerate the smaller the gap it would require. If say a Corolla would need something like 20 feet of space to get to highway speed (totally making up the number btw too lazy to do actual calculation) and a Smart would take about 27 feet (35% slower to 60) the Smart would require almost a full car length more to merge on the same highway than a Corolla.

Also your suggestion of fixing roads doesn't work very well in certain situations, for instance that on ramp I showed you there is nothing that can actually be done to widen the highway because of the terrain and the fact that its in the really old part of the city (something Europeans are well familiar with).

Last edited:
Fix the roads? Are you joking?

To fix prizrak's on-ramp you need a bucket of paint and a couple of traffic signs.

wheels-Bugatti-Super-Sport-record-blogSpan.jpg

Would like a word.

Three Veyron lengths are 13.4m. To get to 24.6m/s in 13.4m you'll have to linearly accelerate at 22.6m/s? (2.3g).That would work out to a 0-60 time of 1.2s. I don't think so :no:

Narf, while your 'fix the roads' solution makes very good sense, I fail to see how it's a viable solution to me if I were looking to buy a new car for under 15 grand.

A turbocharged Audi fails at that on-ramp, so your under 15 grand car won't be a viable solution.

Last edited:
To fix prizrak's on-ramp you need a bucket of paint and a couple of traffic signs.
That would create a bottle neck for the highway itself for one for two unless they actually put a concrete divider type of thing to keep people from going straight they will just go.
A turbocharged Audi fails at that on-ramp, so your under 15 grand car won't be a viable solution.
It doesn't really fail, I'd just rather not deal with it :p

That's just one example though, there are other worse designed on ramps in this city and a couple of really short ones that don't have a stop sign but still make life difficult.

Lets forget highways. Lets go to Manhattan instead, where most of the roads are one way but like 4-5 lanes with lots and lots of cabs who are not known for their Christian motoring :) There a LOT of times when I would have to make a right and a left at the next block so I'd have to cross 4 lanes of traffic in a very short amount of time, decisive acceleration is really the only way to do it because you can't wait for anyone to let you in (they won't).

Last edited:
That would create a bottle neck for the highway itself for one for two unless they actually put a concrete divider type of thing to keep people from going straight they will just go.

Put a cop with a video camera there, earn the money needed to properly fix that part of the road in what? A week?

What cars are there in its category? G-Wiz? P50? Even the Lupo was huge in comparison.

If you only need a single seat with little luggage space and only drive in the city then it's the best car you can get for fuel and parking put together. Obviously that applies to the Diesel or the micro hybrids more than the US petrol version.

If you occasionally need more seats, get another car.
If you occasionally need luggage space, get another car.
If you often drive outside the city, get another car.

I believe we all agree on these three things, if only one is true then the Smart is not the car for you.
However, if all of these problems are not an issue then it is a viable car for you.

Wouldn't a motorcycle fit in that category? A motorcycle will get better fuel economy to boot.

I'm sad to see the Suzukis down there so low, as I am seriously considering getting the '11 Grand Vitara. I inspected it up close too, and it just feels a lot more "honest" to me about its affordable nature than its domestic crossover counterparts, it makes the best of things as it can without having that slightly slimy plastic feel that many Chevrolets have.

I'm sad to see the Suzukis down there so low, as I am seriously considering getting the '11 Grand Vitara. I inspected it up close too, and it just feels a lot more "honest" to me about its affordable nature than its domestic crossover counterparts, it makes the best of things as it can without having that slightly slimy plastic feel that many Chevrolets have.

Just because a car isn't selling well doesn't mean its a bad car. They have like no marketing for their cars at all, the SX4 was the only one I ever seen any ads for.