James May: Top Toys on BBC2 tonight 8pm

Spaced

Nothing to do with Top Gear in any way, except for the presenter -

Toys have become more hi-tech than ever, but which ones have stood the test of time? Join James May as he takes a nostalgic look back through his favourite childhood playthings, including Lego and Scalextric.
When James May was three, his father gave him a toy car for Christmas, and a life behind the wheel and under a bonnet became his destiny. 42 year old James takes us on a tour of his childhood mind as he rifles through his boy toy favourites which include Meccano, Lego, Scalectrix, Airfix and his all time number one toy - the train set. His love of engineering and building things has shaped the ingredients of his entire toy cupboard. There's not a microchip in sight. He still plays with his toys - still loves building things with his various sets. Each toy prompts a story - a history told via archive, anecdote and obsessive collector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure looks interesting, I'll have to see it for myself somehow. LEGOs are the shit! :thumbsup:

Did anyone rip it?

Its not on yet! If no-one has ripped it, i'll try and do it as i'm recording to DVD. (i wonder if MonkeyMax has seen this??) :roll:

According to the Times TV guide, not only that but with each toy he attempts a challenge of sorts - can he get Action Man's parachute to open? Can he set a new Scalextrix speed record?

I'm taping it.

Hello there folks :D Great program with some very funny moments... such as James shooting Airfix model of the Bismarck with an air-rifle on a lake. Brilliant. For those of you who have watched it I have a question for you... when he talks about the Ford GT in the Scalextric section whats the guitar riff? Sounds like Hendrix to me but I'm not really sure. Any help would be very much appreciated because I've been trying to find out what this song is for years :D

If someone would rip it and make a torrent or FTP it, I would be eternally grateful. :thumbsup:

If anyone got a nice rip plz plz plz share, missed the first 30 mins :cry: .. That bizmark segment was hilarious :mrgreen:

Taped it, and watched it this morning despite being jet lagges and tired. Very amusing, don't you just love James when he wears that White T shirt?

If someone has a rip available, please upload it to my ftp, so it's available for everyone on Finalgear 8)

right, i will try my best to get it from tape, to DVD, to avi (and a decent size) as its the only way i have done it in the past. Tried to record straight to DVD and the dvd recorder decided not to work. :x I have also emailed the BBC to see if it is being repeated any time soon as they sometimes repeat stuff on bbc three.

:james: was on Radio 2 yesterday plugging the show. You can listen again by clicking Wednesday. He appears 14 minutes into the programme.

Kudos to JW for asking "Have you not discovered girls yet?" :lol:

alternatengine said:
RIP?

(No it's not code for Rest In Peace)
Yeah, it's not the right word in this case. Rip usually refers to a 'ripped' cd (cd extracted to a compressed file format). My bad ;)

Electrastar~Indochine said:
:james: was on Radio 2 yesterday plugging the show. You can listen again by clicking Wednesday. He appears 14 minutes into the programme.

Kudos to JW for asking "Have you not discovered girls yet?" :lol:

Thanks for the link. Was I the only one whose heart sank at the 'My current girlfriend' bit?

But still, nice entertaining little plug, and James' voice still makes me melt.