• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

topgear.com - Golf R32 DSG *JC Article*

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
Peter Grunert said:
This second generation Golf R32 joins the freshly launched BMW 130i (and, by way of strict definition, the Porsche Cayman S and Aston Martin V8 Vantage) as a contender for the title of the hottest hatchbacked car on sale today.
Errr the 130i is not hot :? Maybe with M-sportpack...even then its still garbage!
Peter Grunert said:
Here it produces a full-flavoured 247bhp (or 10bhp more than in the last iteration and 50bhp more than the current GTI) at 6,300rpm, matched to a 236lb ft thump of torque at 2,500rpm. The engine loves to rev as it builds to its full vocal performance. It's a thing of joy.
Eat that Ford RS!! :evil:
Peter Grunert said:
There's a choice of transmissions, in the form of either a six-speed manual gearbox with a long-ish throw and a slightly sluggish shift action or Volkswagen's twin-roboticclutch Direct Shift Gearbox (or DSG). This can stumble through its gear choices in fully automatic mode, but is an ideal match for the big V6 when switched over to manual, paddle-shift control. Here it perfectly times its auto-blips of the throttle on downshifts and flicks so quickly between ratios on the way back up that it slices 0.3 of a second from the claimed 0-62mph time. With a figure of 6.2 seconds, it also gets there 0.7 of a second faster than a GTI. Unfortunately DSG is a ?1,330 extra, taking the R32's asking price to a considerable ?25,075.
:unsure: Thats $3176 AUD or $2327 USD. But at least you know it definatly works!! Thats why I love em DSG's ;)

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

http://www.topgear.com/drives/E8/A1/roadtests/32/

The 130 should be alright.

Driven friend's 120 before, it screams for more power (think my friend is considering putting a turbo/supercharger on it, I am telling him to just get 130 when it comes out here) but it does handles marvelously.

It's a lot more stable, I think most other manu made FF hatches turns corner by making the rear skatey and flipping the back around the corner. It's good around slow, tight corners, but at higher speed it just ain't as confident inducing. The 1 just feel a lot more natural.

My friend got rid of the run flats btw, and got "normal" tyres on. So maybe your exp and mine is different.

But anyway, the R32 should be 4 motion, so making it one of the non-FF hatch. So will be interesting to see it in motion.

Bring it on TopGear =)

P.S. Personally hasn't drove a GTi hard, just cruised around, so maybe it has high corner stability. But driven Civic TR, Clio and Megane hard =)

Re: topgear.com - Golf R32 DSG

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
:unsure: Thats $3176 AUD or $2327 USD. But at least you know it definatly works!! Thats why I love em DSG's ;)

Please SL65, go and learn how to drive, then drive a DSG before you declare your love. I'm sure in theory, they are excellent, but I'll reserve judgement until I've driven a car with DSG.

flyingfridge said:

Please SL65, go and learn how to drive, then drive a DSG before you declare your love. I'm sure in theory, they are excellent, but I'll reserve judgement until I've driven a car with DSG.
lol you feel very strongly about manuals :p

I do drive, I drive alot (not legally anyway). I just havnt progressed to a manual yet. I'm sure i'll love a manual, but I know myself, a DSG will do it for me. I'm sure of it!

We'll see though..

Oh and the one big reason why I dont like the 130i is because its waay to expensive. If you really want the performance, what are you looking at a very unsporting car...
It does drive well in its defense but looks ugly and co$ts.

flyingfridge said:

Agreed - I'm sure DSG's are terrific, but nothing is ever going to beat a traditional manual for me - timing everything just right, getting the blip on the downchange spot-on, nothing computer controlled is going to come close.

I've driven the DSG, and I I can say that, while it works better than the now-ubiquitous tiptronics and steptronics (and much faster, as well), it's just not as interactive and fun as a traditional manual. I think it's probably faster than a traditional manual, too, no matter who's driving it. But it's just not as engaging, which is why I drive a 6-speed.

I dunno whats the point of driving an automatic (or dsg) car. No point of it all! You dont have the filling "put it back into 2nd and rocket out", or when you brake hard and use a heel & toe. it kills the pleasure of driving. :thumbsdown:

mancs said:
I dunno whats the point of driving an automatic (or dsg) car. No point of it all! You dont have the filling "put it back into 2nd and rocket out", or when you brake hard and use a heel & toe. it kills the pleasure of driving. :thumbsdown:

hey mancs, hows you project Lada coming along?

haz

^Oh great, we talk about everything BUT the Golf :p

Lets talk about puppies or bread...or...the environment! :D

yes, how about we talk about the GOLF rather than praise one of it's gearbox choices (for the actual drivers out there, it does come with a 6-Speed manual, steerers/posers, i think it was just shy of 2000 pounds more for the DSG)

Bloody hell. I'd never be prepared to pay AUD3176 just so I didnt have to use my left foot.

Bugger that, I'll spend $0 and stick with the 6-speed manual thanks. Who cares if the DSG is faster for 0-100, at least with the manual you get a REAL driving experience!

BTW, I love the looks of it. Awesome.

For those in the US who are curious, the DSG gearbox does not cost anywhere near that amount on US-market cars. Here, the DSG is a $1,075 USD option on the cars available with it:

Jetta TDI
Jetta 2.0T
Jetta GLI
New Beetle TDI

As for the new R32, which is a gorgeous little car, VW is not planning on offering the new R32 in the US. Instead, they are going to be doing an R36, featuring a tweaked version of the new 3.6l VR6 motor found in the US-market B6 Passat. The R36 will be rated at around 300 bhp.

There is also serious thought being given to expanding the R-line cars. There are talks of R36 Jettas and Passats, in addition to the Golf. Time will tell which ones become reality.

I see the point of this car, but just compare for a second.

The R32 weighs 400lb more than the GTI. It still wins power/weight, but how does the handling feel?

And for all the extra money, you get 0.4 seconds off the 0-60 in a GTI with the same transmission. Whoopdie doo.

I know the R32 is the biggest/baddest/fastest/most expensive, but the GTI is probably more fun to drive every day, and costs less.

Oh, and choosing DSG instead of a manual is like choosing to have sex with a robot instead of a person. I don't care if it's "better"; it's just wrong.

There, I said it.

Top Gear seem to be the only magazine who haven't liked it. Evo, Autocar, Autoexpress, Test Drive, CAR all love it. Apparently it handles like a GTI but the rear likes to get in on the party a bit more. Fundamentally EVO come to the conclusion that there's not much between them, and that it's more about all weather pace and that engine that you would buy the car for. As for DSG....great piece of engineering, but I'll have my clutch and gear leaver any day :p

^Oh great, we talk about everything BUT the Golf :p

Lets talk about puppies or bread...or...the environment! :D

I guess this will be my first "business car once I have my dental office (or whatever this may be called in english...)

Buba

//edit: @ArosaMike: Most german mags feel the same as TG... GTi is more fun, R32 is more of a mature car in a Golf shape...

Of course, if you want a turbo 4-wheel drive car, presumably to fight STis and EVOs, why would you limit yourself with a 3-door configuration? It may be a hot hatch alright, but it just outclasses itself out of the "hot hatch" class with those features, and possibly the price. The last R32 in America cost about 27-30 grand, which is STi and EVO territory, but less functional. If I want a 3-door, I'll take a GTI. (Tempted there to write "GTi", but Dr. Woo would stab me in the eyelids with a tongue depressor. He's a doctor, isn't he? ;) )

BlaRo said:
Of course, if you want a turbo 4-wheel drive car, presumably to fight STis and EVOs, why would you limit yourself with a 3-door configuration? It may be a hot hatch alright, but it just outclasses itself out of the "hot hatch" class with those features, and possibly the price. The last R32 in America cost about 27-30 grand, which is STi and EVO territory, but less functional. If I want a 3-door, I'll take a GTI. (Tempted there to write "GTi", but Dr. Woo would stab me in the eyelids with a tongue depressor. He's a doctor, isn't he? ;) )

The R32 is available in a four-door configuration. New one is, and old one was. We just never got the four-door in the US, unfortunately. With the arrival, at long, long, LONG last, of the four-door GTI in the US next year, perhaps we'll get a four-door version of our upcoming R36. Or, possibly an R36 Jetta.

You mean 5-door, as it was still a hatch. Practical enough, I suppose. Though I think 5-door hot hatches are wrong. ;)