TopGear.com Makes Video Clips UK Only

FinalGear

I'm A Bot!
Here are a couple solutions to bypassing the region locking:

• A Greasemonkey script: This requires Firefox (or maybe Opera) but will "fix" the videos automatically.

• A bookmarklet: Just copy/paste that Javascript into a bookmark/favorite. This requires hitting the button every time.

Original post:

It seems TopGear.com has made the unfortunate decision to make the videos on their site only playable within the UK. This change is very recent as when I posted those videos yesterday, there were playable here in the USA. I sincerely hope it?s just a bug or something on Brightcove?s part (they?re the company handling the video serving for TopGear.com), but that?s probably not the case.

Looks like we?re going to have to start mirroring the videos or something so people like me who are outside of the UK can watch them.

Posted By: Viper007Bond
Link: http://www.finalgear.com/news/2008/12/05/topgearcom-makes-video-clips-uk-only/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it sucks. I was at school today, checked the front page and saw that news uncut was up. Came home to watch and I couldn't. :( Someone please mirror them somewhere. Pretty please.

Yeah, this sucks. I am one fan in the US that would be very appreciative if Final Gear grabbed them and hosted them for all to see. This reminds me of the BBC's normal video player that is only for UK peeps.

Hi there, I'm from Hong Kong. I'm also not happy with the videos being restricted to "UK Only":(
Well, actually we've got the Chinese version of Top Gear MAG just in October with the license holding by a local newspaper firm, and they did set a up a website for the mag, however I don't think they will show any of the "news uncut" or other special videos.

What they are doing is giving out free DVD's every single issue, the content inside the disc is some special footage of the past TG series, such as the EVO snow skiing.

I'm hoping that anyone may help "foreigners" like us to be accessible to those special footage, many thank s to that.:D

Yesterday morning I was able to view all vids from France. And back from lunch, nothing was available. That's a pity. I tried behind a UK proxy without success for the moment.

I also checked ontheir dedicated Youtube page, but there are even less videos, and all are pretty old.

I'm waiting for that magical moment when Wilman comes on and says, "Look folks, there's been a terrible mistake, and we will have everything fixed shortly. We know there are fans of the series the world over (especially in those countries where we are trying to grow the brand for a potential introduction in the spring), and we understand the importance of exposing them to the unique sense of humor Top Gear offers."

C'mon Andy, you can do it! :D

I'm glad they've done this, we have to pay a ?100 a year for the BBC and you lot are watching a show for free that's financed by the population of the UK's money. I hope it's not a bug if they do come back I defiantly gonna complain. If you lot from other countries are willing to pay a ?100 then your welcome to watch, perhaps they should setup a system like that.

This would work with a very small nominal fee 10c USD - per month/6 months/annum no more IMHO. Really a shame - Mirrors and FTP to the fore chaps.

I'm waiting for that magical moment when Wilman comes on and says, "Look folks, there's been a terrible mistake, and we will have everything fixed shortly. We know there are fans of the series the world over (especially in those countries where we are trying to grow the brand for a potential introduction in the spring), and we understand the importance of exposing them to the unique sense of humor Top Gear offers."

C'mon Andy, you can do it! :D

i really hope that happens. i'm not impressed that they're basically giving all their international fans the finger. <_<

I'm glad they've done this, we have to pay a ?100 a year for the BBC and you lot are watching a show for free that's financed by the population of the UK's money. I hope it's not a bug if they do come back I defiantly gonna complain. If you lot from other countries are willing to pay a ?100 then your welcome to watch, perhaps they should setup a system like that.

I download/torrent a LOT of BBC programs (or programmes, if you prefer), not because I don't want to pay for it, but because I CAN'T pay for it. It's just not an option for us.

When they set up any kind of system that allows us the opportunity to get full BBC programming by any means, you will have every right to complain. Until then, STFU, seriously. :mad:

Another chime in from "the colonies" here.

I agree with the above poster. Yes, there is "BBC USA" or whatever it is that is technically available on pay TV here in the US, however TG is not current and it's not complete, even if it is available. (I don't get it, personally)

The downloads of converted weekly UK shows is was the only way for many to get good, current and entertaining Top Gear content in the rest of the world (let alone 5th gear).

The web logs of the newly revamped topgear.com should plainly show and confirm that yes, they do have a massive worldwide following of this show.

Weren't we all pleased to see TG providing a more legit means of enjoying their productions?

Why lock it out? Bandwidth? Can they put on ads?

Well then... I'll see if the missus wants to relo to GB then! :lol:

I guess there is the official TG channel on Youtube still, right?

Reactions: NsK
I download/torrent a LOT of BBC programs (or programmes, if you prefer), not because I don't want to pay for it, but because I CAN'T pay for it. It's just not an option for us.

When they set up any kind of system that allows us the opportunity to get full BBC programming by any means, you will have every right to complain. Until then, STFU, seriously. :mad:

Oh shut up really, anyways there are a few options, you can watch Gear when you finally get it on behalf on BBC Worldwide or you can buy it off iTunes, so the BBC gets some money. On you could just buy the DVDs, etc. You can't just say theres no options there's plenty.

^ What DVDs you foo, TG seasons don't make it to DVD, otherwise don't you think us fans would've bought them

Oh shut up really, anyways there are a few options, you can watch Gear when you finally get it on behalf on BBC Worldwide or you can buy it off iTunes, so the BBC gets some money. On you could just buy the DVDs, etc. You can't just say theres no options there's plenty.

Do you work for the BBC?

I'd been trying a fews separate videos and could only get one of the half doz or so I was trying to play kept coming up with the wrong location error, (much like a lot of the new marketplace with MS on NXE).

I was hoping this was just a glitch on their site but has been out there for a few days or so now, must be we'll have to "legitimately" spoof that site or find other ways around this issue.

No, but I pay for it to exist and most of you don't, just trying to make a point.

Your point is faulty, because if we were able to, we would pay to get these. As it is, we either don't get TG at all or we get it butchered up because of something or something else. And if we want to enjoy it to its fullest extent, this is the only way so far.

Trust me, if TG DVDs were sold around the world with the original music and uncut episodes, 99.99% of the (at least regular) people on this forum would buy them.