TopGear.com Makes Video Clips UK Only

I'm glad they've done this, we have to pay a ?100 a year for the BBC and you lot are watching a show for free that's financed by the population of the UK's money. I hope it's not a bug if they do come back I defiantly gonna complain. If you lot from other countries are willing to pay a ?100 then your welcome to watch, perhaps they should setup a system like that.
That is very selfish of you. :mad: To wish this on other people is mean.:( This is not the show but clips. They have ads on the website to pay for it. And it won't stop anyone from watching them, As long as there are nice Brits who wish to share. Have a pint or two and lighten up.

I thought the TV detection thing was a load, who knew it was real! I wonder if it would detect a US plasma brought into the country as they are required to conform to different standards.

The US plasma tv won't work in Europe. Different system, US uses NTSC and Europe uses PAL. Same problem with VHS and DVD's.

The US plasma tv won't work in Europe. Different system, US uses NTSC and Europe uses PAL. Same problem with VHS and DVD's.

Not true. My DVD player plays Pal and NTSC and my dvd recorder will record in either format as well as play either format. Pretty sure the one in my computer does too.

HDTV I bought son for Christmas will play either format also. Not sure why. It is a Hatachi (sp?)

I do remember VHS was a problem, but I think I got a work around on that system too. I can't remember for sure though.

Well US stuff generally is not multi standard - most Americans do not know nor care that almost everybody else uses different standards.

Most of our TV receivers are either dual or tri standard (NTSC, PAL and SECAM). But you have an additional problem in that most countries in Europe use 220 V @ 50 hertz (Austria you know who you are - go to the naughty corner) as opposed to 110 v @ 60 Hertz. In addition there are sub flavours of these systems PAL I or G, MESECAM vs SECAM and US NTSC vs Jap NTSC. All very annoying. Most European sets are at least PAL & NTSC.

The problem seems to now be a US one when they want to play any one elses DVDs as most European DVDs will accept the different standards - this is going to change with Blu-Ray unless Sony start mucking about with the standard.

http://www.planetomni.com/Prod_MSTV.shtml

So, is the tv lic by name or per address?

Are you limited to the number of tv's you can have at an address? (I have 7 tv's but rarely watch any of them.)

If I pay my lic and you pay your lic, but then I come move in with you and bring my tv, do I get a refund?

What happens if your tv say falls off it's stand while watching formula 1 and you can not get it fixed or afford another tv. Any refund?

As far as I can remember, it's one licence per address, with no limit on the number of TV sets. That said, for stuff like halls of residence you need one licence per room if you have a TV in your room, but if you have a communal TV then you only need one for the whole place.

The other two: I'd imagine in theory you can get a refund, but that's a whole pile of bureaucracy right there.

Thanks for the fix Woodoo

It's even worse here in Denmark. Not only do the national television fascists know when you buy a TV, you even have to pay the full media license if you don't own a TV. As long as you have a mobile phone that can access the internet, ie all new ones, you'll have to pay something like ?200 per year.

Yes, but most people do not care do they?

That is why as the studios own the rights to most good stuff they are the ones breaking the 'restraint of trade' laws all around the world with impunity.

I have it in for Sony personally making their DVD players the most difficult to crack (as they own a studio) - so, sod 'em, last time I ever buy stuff from them I decided years ago.

Good news, I've found a fix (at least a temporary fix until they fix it) to get the video clips working

Simply create a bookmark to (yes that isn't an url in there, it's javascript code)

Code:
javascript:(function(){eval($('#mainContent%20.feature%20script').html().replace('config\.playerId','//').replace('config\.adServerURL','//'));})();;

click on the bookmark when you're on the video page and it's telling you that the video is uk only and the video loads :D.

btw. this also fixes issues when you've an adblocker enabled and the page tells you that you either have javascript disabled or an old version of the flash player).

Woodoo, you are a genius. :thumbsup:

Good news, I've found a fix (at least a temporary fix until they fix it) to get the video clips working

Simply create a bookmark to (yes that isn't an url in there, it's javascript code)

Code:
javascript:(function(){eval($('#mainContent%20.feature%20script').html().replace('config\.playerId','//').replace('config\.adServerURL','//'));})();;

click on the bookmark when you're on the video page and it's telling you that the video is uk only and the video loads :D.

btw. this also fixes issues when you've an adblocker enabled and the page tells you that you either have javascript disabled or an old version of the flash player).

BRILLIANT! Thank you!

Yes, but most people do not care do they?

That is why as the studios own the rights to most good stuff they are the ones breaking the 'restraint of trade' laws all around the world with impunity.

I have it in for Sony personally making their DVD players the most difficult to crack (as they own a studio) - so, sod 'em, last time I ever buy stuff from them I decided years ago.

There are LOTS of reasons not to buy from Sony apart from the very good one you have listed. Have you ever bought a laptop from Sony? Talk about proprietary. I do quite like their new X1.

As for the voltage differences I am aware that the UK uses 220 (used to live there), but if you look on the back of quite a few elecronic components they show that they will work with 110 - to 240 volt systems. So, get a new cord and plug it in - I did this with a laptop I brought to the UK from the states.

if you look on the back of quite a few elecronic components they show that they will work with 110 - to 240 volt systems. So, get a new cord and plug it in - I did this with a laptop I brought to the UK from the states.

I was shocked to that Dell in the US sells its Laptops with 110 Volts only poer supplys, at least the one a speaker at a conference had with him last month.

Most of my experience is from going to Europe and bringing back tapes,cd's, DVD's. Europe is better at sharing. The US pretty much ignores other standards. This is why we still use the miles instead of Kilometers and why most Americans only speak English. For those who think this is no big deal, a jetplane almost crashed due to having to convert pounds to kilograms. A Mars probe did crash due to converting English to Metric. Coming back to the problem with the videos, I dont understand the fix, what do you do with the javascript. How do you create the bookmark? Thanks for any help.

Code:

LEGEND!! :cheers:

And that's the way to achieve a reputation between 350 and 499 with only one post. :p

Code:

You are a god.

What you will need to do is go to Organize Favorites, Right-Click on the favorite you added, and click properties. Here, you can edit the exact URL, and make sure it is put in exactly as it is above. I was able to do it and it works.

I also recommend you switch over to Google's Chrome browser or Mozilla FireFox. :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm stupid but I've tried this in both IE and Firefox and no matter what I do it still insists on adding "http://" to the start of the URL, even after editing the bookmark properties. In fact it actually adds it into the properties as soon as I edit it!!

Am I missing something else?

Voodoo by Woodoo, thanks!

I made the javascript a link on my bookmark toolbar, and click on it when I want to view a video. Works.