TopGear.com Makes Video Clips UK Only

Maybe I'm stupid but I've tried this in both IE and Firefox and no matter what I do it still insists on adding "http://" to the start of the URL, even after editing the bookmark properties. In fact it actually adds it into the properties as soon as I edit it!!

Am I missing something else?

In IE: Make a bookmark of any site. (By clicking add to favorites)
Right click on it and go to "Properties".
Erase the URL and paste in woodoo's javascript.
Rename the bookmark something that indicates what it is. (Maybe Woodoo's Voodoo or something.) :lol:
Click on it when you're at the video screen that isn't playing.
Watch in wonder as magic happens. ;)

Now let's just keep this to ourselves so the Beeb doesn't screw us on it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Gullwing.
I found it works very well in Google Chrome. No strange rewriting of the URL in that one!
A wonderful little trick :)

I'm not telling anyone!

I was trying to watch the news outtakes last night and couldn't, but I found a proxy that'll work with the site.

89.234.27.15 port:80

OK. I'm using the latest firefox and I am having a lot of trouble getting this coding to work. Can someone with some patience please tell me what I am doing wrong? I am not a pc guru so it may be you need to tell me step by step and please, if anyone feels this will take too much space, feel free to write to me off list so as not upset the forum gods or anyone else. I'd love to know and I seem to be the only bunny not able to figure it out <sigh>. Thanks.

OK. I'm using the latest firefox and I am having a lot of trouble getting this coding to work. Can someone with some patience please tell me what I am doing wrong? I am not a pc guru so it may be you need to tell me step by step and please, if anyone feels this will take too much space, feel free to write to me off list so as not upset the forum gods or anyone else. I'd love to know and I seem to be the only bunny not able to figure it out <sigh>. Thanks.

Bookmark a site (any site will do)

Click display bookmarks (mine is at the top of foxfire)

Should list book marks on the left side of the screen

choose the site you bookmarked

Right click, go down to properties, click

A box comes up. Rename the bookmark to something you recognize

Copy/paste the "fix" in the location place.

Save

just adding to the earlyer bit about tv-license... we Swedes have the same problem... but here they actually do commersials about how good it is to pay the fee... *sigh*

I don't understand TopGear.com making the video clips UK only as they are not a BBC site. The site is actually run by BBC Worldwide which means its run by the commercial arm of the BBC, thats why the site has ad's, so there is no sense in making it UK only.

I don't understand TopGear.com making the video clips UK only as they are not a BBC site. The site is actually run by BBC Worldwide which means its run by the commercial arm of the BBC, thats why the site has ad's, so there is no sense in making it UK only.

Because the content is licenced for the UK only.

Quite funny reading this thread because I had exactly the same moan when I wanted to watch the Bruins/Hurricanes game on Saturday via NHL.com. In the UK, I'm a "restricted territory". And was willing to pay pound quids for it.

You can't blame TG. You can't blame the BBC. You can blame the thousands of lawyers who invented the concept of regional and restrictive licencing. This wasn't a problem prior to the internet (ah, for the halcyon days of the 1980s when the most popular US programmes were broadcast almost a year later in the UK) but now it is a complete minefield. And to avoid having the arse sued off them, or have every penny extracted from them, people just go for the shortest, easiest solution.

TBH, I'm of the opinion that this place is quite lucky that the producers turn a blind eye to the torrenting and FTP talk. Certainly it doesn't work the other way round with a number of US shows.

Last edited:
TBH, I'm of the opinion that this place is quite lucky that the producers turn a blind eye to the torrenting and FTP talk. Certainly it doesn't work the other way round with a number of US shows.

Maybe they have learned from the fiasco of what US shows have tried to do. It does not stop it, it just forces it underground.

Maybe they have learned from the fiasco of what US shows have tried to do. It does not stop it, it just forces it underground.

Furthermore, it's torrenting and youtubing what makes it possible to kickstart TG spinoffs in other countries, sell show tickets and merchandise...

Furthermore, it's torrenting and youtubing what makes it possible to kickstart TG spinoffs in other countries, sell show tickets and merchandise...

Careful... you're getting awfully close to "I'm stealing your work for your own benefit" there...

The thing that kickstarts TG spinoffs is the original broadcasts.

Has TG.com caught on? I'm trying to watch the communist out-takes, and have pasted the script in and done the bookmarking thing but it either comes up on google or directs me to the Javascript website.

Help? :(

Has TG.com caught on? I'm trying to watch the communist out-takes, and have pasted the script in and done the bookmarking thing but it either comes up on google or directs me to the Javascript website.

Help? :(

Nope, still working perfectly here.

I think you need to make sure you did it correctly.

Another problem with a TopGear.com vid: when I try to watch the video 'Alfa Challenge 1', it always plays the one where James takes the Bugatti Veyron to its top speed. This happens with some other videos too. Does anyone else have the same problem?

*edit* Here's another one: Ascari vs Daihatsu

Another problem with a TopGear.com vid: when I try to watch the video 'Alfa Challenge 1', it always plays the one where James takes the Bugatti Veyron to its top speed. This happens with some other videos too. Does anyone else have the same problem?

*edit* Here's another one: Ascari vs Daihatsu

It's not your computer's fault, it's the site. They just put the wrong links up. :)

Thanks for the fix made two Aussies very happy indeed - now hubby wants one that will work for the Dr Who site :p

@ Fatboyslimmy I don't know how to do it step by step on firefox hubby did it, but when he wakes up from his new years nanna nap I will get him to post it for you
Cheers