Total Wipeout Axed

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
The Wipeout franchise will return for just one more series before being axed for good, the Beeb confirmed today.

But today, a source told the Mail that while Wipeout still gets 'reasonable' ratings, bosses felt it had ?served its purpose? after six series.
A BBC spokeswoman said: 'After four very successful series of Total Wipeout, and one series of Winter Wipeout, the BBC has taken the decision that the next series, due for later this year, will be the last.'

So Morrisons don't want him, BBC 1 doesn't want him... back to local radio for you.

Quite a few long-standing Top Gear fans don't want him either.

:whistle:

Don't really care. If they bring it back as Mortal Wipeout I might actually watch it.

Well I liked Total Wipeout, relax on a Sat evening.

The BBC are always looking for ways to rid the airways of the boys actually, they(JC, RH and JM) do not fit in with their soft left and 'green' stance. They are in the 'save money' mode too, so programmes will be getting worse and cheaper from now on.

Salford - yuck, I bet none of the bigwigs live anywhere near there!

Last edited:
I wouldn't put this down as a BBC conspiracy theory to just get rid of the boys. You need to include their successful attempt to turn Anne Robinson back into a consumer reporter. Farewell, Weakest Link.

Although it could simply be the money. The boys and Empress Anne have become rather expensive commodities, and it's not only the Beeb who are in a budget crunch. ITV just low-balled Harry Hill out the door, after all.

Reactions: MWF
Maybe Richard will do something else "green" and/or "educational" for BBC One. I really liked those Journey to the Centre of the Planet documentaries he did a few years ago.

Well I liked Total Wipeout actually.

The BBC are always looking for ways to rid the airways of the boys actually, they(JC, RH and JM) do not fit in with their soft left and 'green' stance. They are in the 'save money' mode too, so programmes will be getting worse and cheaper from now on.

Salford - yuck, I bet none of the bigwigs live anywhere near there!

Conspiracy mode *off*, Cobol. The boys are all over the BBC. Top Gear is still on for a start, the third series of Manlab is in production, JC makes guest appearances all over the place and there is bound to be some niche for Hammond to fill in the future. I tend to believe the Beeb when they say enough is enough to Total Wipeout - it's a bit repetitive after however many series it is. No harm in a shakeup now and again.

Conspiracy mode *off*, Cobol. The boys are all over the BBC. Top Gear is still on for a start, the third series of Manlab is in production, JC makes guest appearances all over the place and there is bound to be some niche for Hammond to fill in the future. I tend to believe the Beeb when they say enough is enough to Total Wipeout - it's a bit repetitive after however many series it is. No harm in a shakeup now and again.

Yes, but do not the BBC hate the fact that they are "popular". Have you seen what is happening to the BBC as a simple result of pandering to Sky?

I am not paranoid - they really are out to get me.

As much as I wanted not to like Total Wipeout as it's low-brow television at its most low-brow it made me laugh despite myself. Richard's voiceover made me chuckle and I could watch people bouncing off the Big Red Balls forever. RIP Total Wipeout.

Yes, but do not the BBC hate the fact that they are "popular".

Do they? I've never noticed any signs of that, and I bet the accountants just LOVE their popularity, but I'll keep watching the skies in case you're right.

OK, so off topic, but I couldn't see a Thread about this, but you guys may have one somewhere.

Richard Hammond appeared on the BBC Sport Relief Mile last Sunday, with his wife & kids and they all ran the mile.

In the interview with Matt Baker before, they discussed that Richard is going to be the International "face" and promoter of International Sport Relief, a new project apparently.

Nobody else see this or hear about it?

:smile:

(RH also presented series one of Helicopter Heroes, a year after his crash. I couldn't see a Thread about that either.)

Ok ok I give in.

I do not think that I am wrong that the move to Salford, the lack of a decent licence fee settlement plus the lack of business acumen is not part of letting a global Murdoch game outflank them, and there is no leftwing/green agenda at the BBC.

Right I'll shut up now - they are still after me though. ? :lol:

Maybe Richard will do something else "green" and/or "educational" for BBC One. I really liked those Journey to the Centre of the Planet documentaries he did a few years ago.

Supposedly he's been filming new episodes of Invisible Worlds recently (which I really liked; if you've not seen it, you should check it out -- preferably in HD, as it's visually stunning to boot), and he's going to do something called Planet Earth Live with Julia Bradbury of Old TG fame (she was on when James was) sometime this month. There'll also be another series of Engineering Connections in the future.

And there's Crash Course starting up in the US and Canada in a couple of weeks. :)

Right I'll shut up now - they are still after me though. ?

You know that law they're trying to push through just now, enabling them to monitor everyone's online activity?

That's just for you, that is. :?

No, they offered him a million more a year and he said no to TV Burp. It got to him, watching all that TV.

Considering how much money TV Burp and You've Been Framed bring in to ITV, a million a year raise could be considered low-balling.

Of course, the fact that it's filmed in Argentina at a time when UK/Argentine relations are looking a bit precarious can't have helped Total Wipeout's cause much either...

I like Total Wipeout, I enjoy seeing people who are kidding themselves by thinking that they're sporty get swiftly brought down a peg or 90... I did find Hammond cringe worthy though. I'll miss Amanda though, she's beautifully mental. :(