Touchpad fire sale

And you bought 3 because...?

And you bought 3 because...?

Meh, that's nothing, I bet it's for family and friends. I'm also betting some people bought dozens on these online sales because there's no limit on the quantity.

Last edited:
US FGers: I may get 2 extra TPs, 1 16gb and 1 32gb, from HP Small and Medium Business. If I do I will sell for cost + shipping. It'll come out to around $200 for the 32 and $150 for the 16.

Chicago FGers: If I get the 2 extra I'd be happy to sell in person for cost.

I'll take the 32GB off your hands if you end up getting it.

Please go through. Please go through. Please go through. Please go through.

I'm the same, and my order says the same, though I got it for my girlfriend who spend all of last night looking for one and I ended up finding it on Amazon just as the price dropped so I ordered it. She says it would make her love me even more than she already does if I manage to get it for her... At least it would stop her pinching my iPad...

People that ordered from websites other than HP are getting really disgruntled everywhere. I find it really amusing.

They are threatening to call the better business bureau, to sue companies because of fraud. They want their money back, or they want a response at this very moment.

The majority of these people didn't really need those tablets, despite what they are claiming. If they really needed one they would have bought one last month. They are blaming the companies now and threatening never to do business with them again, yet they don't cancel their current orders.

They are forgetting that even if they don't get one - life goes on. Money will be refunded and no harm will be done.

I can imagine many of the retailers being clueless at first. They probably didn't know about HP's announcement, that they would drop the Touchpad, and not make it anymore. I guess many let the orders go way beyond stock, thinking they could just re-stock them from HP. It all depends on HP's reserves now. I don't think many if any will leave the factory.

Man I would have purchased a 32 off of you.

Edit: also looks like the universe doesn't want me to have a touchpad... Went by an OfficeDepot in a rough part of town on my lunch break hoping that they might have received a few on their morning shipment. While I was shooting the breeze with the manager their trucks which was supposed to have 21 units aboard, arrives...total number actually on the truck....none :cry:

Tell you what. I'm at work now but I'll head over to that Walmart on my way home and see if any are still in stock, no promises. There is an even more remote Walmart further South from my work, I can go check them out on Sat.

If I find any I'd be willing to pick them up for a fellow FG'er at cost plus taxes and insured shipping. I'll have to open it to make sure everything works right other than that it'll be NIB.

Last edited:
HP definitely does not produce them anymore, however, it is said that at least HP USA is still sitting on a warehouse full of them right now..........

I am still not entirely convinced this wasn't an epic marketing stunt by HP... Amazon and Apple are not very happy about a cheap tablet suddenly selling like this I bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
US FGers: I may get 2 extra TPs, 1 16gb and 1 32gb, from HP Small and Medium Business. If I do I will sell for cost + shipping. It'll come out to around $200 for the 32 and $150 for the 16.

Chicago FGers: If I get the 2 extra I'd be happy to sell in person for cost.

I'll be game for the 16 if I can't get my hands on one on friday. :)

I am still not entirely convinced this wasn't an epic marketing stunt by HP... Amazon and Apple are not very happy about a cheap tablet suddenly selling like this I bet.

No, their stock has plummeted. You cant fuck with shareholders.

UK FGers - Argos still have some in stock but haven't yet reduced prices.

Find a local Argos with stock, and reserve online to pick up instore. You don't pay until you pick it up (although the reservation lasts until end of tomorrow). Rumour has it that Argos' prices will come down tomorrow. If they do you are in luck, if not you have lost nothing.

At first I was intrigued by the drastic price cut and contemplated driving over to my local Best Buy to get one but now I'm thinking....are these tablets even any good? It's a dead-end product line, probably thicker/heavier and touchscreen not as good iPad's, and also no app market at all (although I heard people are trying to develop an android OS for it).

So are these even worth the $100/150+tax?

At first I was intrigued by the drastic price cut and contemplated driving over to my local Best Buy to get one but now I'm thinking....are these tablets even any good? It's a dead-end product line, probably thicker/heavier and touchscreen not as good iPad's, and also no app market at all (although I heard people are trying to develop an android OS for it).

Some reviews said it's the second best tablet and the OS is good. A Kindle 3 starts at $150. This does that and more. and IF Android arrives... :p

Also I got bored

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/as/astonmartin/2011/08/23/Untitled-1.jpg

I couldn't find a high res stock pic, but I like the idea. Mainly to piss off pretentious cunts.

Yes. It is. The industrial design and the price was the worst part of the touchpad. While built reasonably well, it was as thick as the first iPad. Not an issue except that the iPad 2 changed the game.

The internals are powerful stuff. Dual core processor, rich graphics capabilities. The screen itself is a near dead ringer for the iPad in terms of quality (IPS display)according to most reviewers and there have been several updates to the device that has put system responsiveness right up where it should be. Many reviewers insist that HP released it too early and that with the OS updates, their opinion in the reviews would have been far more favorable.

The OS has about 8,000 apps available with around 300 or so designed specifically for the Touchpad. Add in the Homebrew community and there's plenty more apps and tweaks where that came from.

Look at it this way, it has a Kindle ap and is priced much lower than a Kindle... That alone makes it worth it.