Touchpad fire sale

I didn't get any notification emails, and from what I read I'm not the only one.

What I find baffling is - why would HP build more? As we have commented before, the screen itself is worth around $90. They will be building more units at an additional huge cost to the company. For what? To satisfy unhappy customers? - like I said before, if these people wanted one they would have bought one when it was $500.

Just for good PR and marketing? I would say that is a very costly and inefficient campaign. Even if everybody gets one, they will still bitch that HP sucks for stopping support of webOS etc.

Yes. Marketing expenses. Customer satisfaction. Increasing market value for webOS in the event it is sold on, or they are trying to push it to other hardware manufacturers.

I found one on gumtree (basically our craigslist) for ?170, i'll buy a newspaper tomorrow, see what prices people are selling for.
If I can find a 16gb for ?150, i'll be happy.

Ordered one last Sunday through hpshopping.ca. The status is "Admin" but I am not sure if I will be getting one. I will be calling in tomorrow to ask if I got one.

got mine today!
I ordered it through bestbuy.com about a week ago for $106 with tax

Mine should come today in theory....the UPS truck hasn't arrived yet. :S

Wow, I didn't even think of a possible Android port, or I would have put more effort into picking one up. Even though I already have a tablet that is way more functional.... I want my touch-friendly games dammit!

LOLZ just saw one on eBay. The 64GB version. Starting bid $820, Buy it now $950.

Naturally, there are no bidders. This guy is really ambitious though.

touchpad is here and I'm typing on it. I like it a lot.

I invite you all onto this magical journey of wonderment and discovery.
Yet, i'm the one who gets buttfucked.

I should have one by Tuesday.

Mine should be shipping on the week of September 12. This will be my first tablet! I might be getting a capacitive stylus to see if I can use it for notetaking. Hopefully there should be an app that allows you to do annotations on PDF files (though I doubt it).

Last edited:
Regarding the box.net account

The TouchPad promotional accounts have a maximum upload size of 100MB and a storage of 50GB. We are extremely sorry for the confusion and any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
The Box Support Team

Those that signed up before the firesale have a 1GB upload size.

Asshats. I would fill the 50gb anyways with trash, just because.

My mission failed.
I'm looking on ebay at ?200 ones...

I have a spare, oddly, that I bought for ?200 on eBay.

Are you interested? If so, make me an offer. It's a 16gb, brand new in box, unopened.

I didn't get any notification emails, and from what I read I'm not the only one.

What I find baffling is - why would HP build more? As we have commented before, the screen itself is worth around $90.

I think some websites found that the components alone in a TouchPad cost between $300 and $400. As for why build more, the answer I suspect is to use up spare parts / extra components lying around.

Last edited:
I have a spare, oddly, that I bought for ?200 on eBay.

Are you interested? If so, make me an offer. It's a 16gb, brand new in box, unopened.

Thankyou but, again... I was in the right place at the right time. Got one off Pre Central ?170 shipped and more importantly it's in the brown box.

It's been a day or two with the TP, here are a few things i like:

* WebOS: absolutely brilliant, it's great. My tablet worked well seemingly out of the box, no tweaking needed...and this was before I updated it. I would only consider Android if it was dual boot...if I had to replace WebOS...i'd be bummed

* Keyboard: it's awesome. Auto correct is ok, good but not great, and I wish the caps key was a bit smaller as I hit it sometimes when I hit "a"

* Size: perfect, not too big not too small

* HP Pivot magazine (Find it in HP App Catalog...it usually appears as soon as you launch App Catalog): Seriously, I thought this was just advertising fluff, but it's a legit magazine. Interesting articles and app reviews, this month they're giving away a promo code for dj software.

* I can use WMP to sync music and podcasts. Works just fine.

And here's a few I don't like:

*Some apps seem to be a bit flaky (Facebook for WebOS Tablets, Kindle Beta) but no big deal. I wish that there were more "for Touchpad" specific apps.
* Fingerprint magnet: this thing is grubbbby after a day or two.

* It's a teensy bit heavy....You notice it just a bit

* No Windows Live support: The TP supports a wide range of accounts but Windows Live isn't among them. It's a bummer as it's the IM client of choice for myself. I also wish they included facebook chat support.

* I'm a bit worried about the glossy back getting scratched...gotta find a nice case.

*The browser can be a bit iffy. It renders pages snappily, pinch to zoom is smooth, ditto scrolling. But it has some issues with drop down boxes on pages, and some pages you have to tap refresh to see changes (ex: the subscribed threads part of User CP on VB powered forums like FG) instead of just hitting user CP again.

* I wish the keyboard had arrow keys.

So far a fairly decent tablet. I could potentially see a desire for a keyboard case/bluetooth keyboard or at least the official hp stand case in my future.
I saw on PreCentral that people are reporting issues like stuttering and lag with their TP when they up the clockspeed to 1.5 like the white one. Just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who's done it/considering it.

Last edited:
It's been a day or two with the TP, here are a few things i like:

* WebOS: absolutely brilliant, it's great. My tablet worked well seemingly out of the box, no tweaking needed...and this was before I updated it. I would only consider Android if it was dual boot...if I had to replace WebOS...i'd be bummed

* Keyboard: it's awesome. Auto correct is ok, good but not great, and I wish the caps key was a bit smaller as I hit it sometimes when I hit "a"

* Size: perfect, not too big not too small

* HP Pivot magazine (Find it in HP App Catalog...it usually appears as soon as you launch App Catalog): Seriously, I thought this was just advertising fluff, but it's a legit magazine. Interesting articles and app reviews, this month they're giving away a promo code for dj software.

* I can use WMP to sync music and podcasts. Works just fine.

And here's a few I don't like:

*Some apps seem to be a bit flaky (Facebook for WebOS Tablets, Kindle Beta) but no big deal. I wish that there were more "for Touchpad" specific apps.
* Fingerprint magnet: this thing is grubbbby after a day or two.

* It's a teensy bit heavy....You notice it just a bit

* No Windows Live support: The TP supports a wide range of accounts but Windows Live isn't among them. It's a bummer as it's the IM client of choice for myself. I also wish they included facebook chat support.

* I'm a bit worried about the glossy back getting scratched...gotta find a nice case.

*The browser can be a bit iffy. It renders pages snappily, pinch to zoom is smooth, ditto scrolling. But it has some issues with drop down boxes on pages, and some pages you have to tap refresh to see changes (ex: the subscribed threads part of User CP on VB powered forums like FG) instead of just hitting user CP again.

* I wish the keyboard had arrow keys.

So far a fairly decent tablet. I could potentially see a desire for a keyboard case/bluetooth keyboard or at least the official hp stand case in my future.
I saw on PreCentral that people are reporting issues like stuttering and lag with their TP when they up the clockspeed to 1.5 like the white one. Just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who's done it/considering it.

The keyboard and case are worth it. About the prints, you need to wipe it down after every use.

So who here is raiding the local Best Buy's on Labor Day?