The fuel tank is not as bad as initially thought. We took it out and it seems to be mostly fine. Some surface rust, but otherwise seems good. It needs to be flushed and a new coat of paint and it should be usable. Which is great because it's an unobtanium part.
A liquid that used to be fuel 20 years ago coming out of the drain hole.
Did something with the Corolla for a change.
Took out the handbrake and cable. Now the hunt for a new one begins. I am not sure if these wagons have slightly different length than the other body styles.
There was a leak between the water pumps outlet and a radiator hose even though we replace the hose earlier. Not sure why it was leaking, because the outlet itself looked ok too. The thing was though that the coolant was leaking on to the alternator right below. So while both the water pump and alternator work still, we decided that's easier to just replace both of them and be sure they will continue to work. They are fairly cheap parts anyway and simple to change.
In other news wheels are going for sandblasting and painting next week. After that new tires.
If someone is interested the wheels are 12" and the tire size is 155/80R12 (or technically the original size was 6.00-12). The current tires are from the 80s.
Got new alternator and water pump. And the damn hose still leaks
The last conclusion is that there must be something wrong with the hose. I guess the other end has like 1mm too large diameter and it does not seal properly.
Also changed the brake master cylinder because the brakes were biting way too deep in the pedals throw. With the new master cylinder and after bleeding the brakes the bite point is excellent. Still some fine tuning on the individual wheel brake cylinders needed. The handbrake needs adjustment also, but one of the return springs is missing and it has proven quite hard to find.
We were going to get the Corolla registered already, but it was not to be. During the winter one the brake wheel cylinders had sprung a leak. Actually it was the one cylinder we did not change earlier, because it was not available at the time. Luckily there was some available this time, so all of them have been changed now. But during the installation dad noticed that the outer tie rod ends are loose as balls. Now we are waiting those to arrive, or rather the other one to arrive, first one arrived already but now they seem to be out of stock. At least Inner tie rod ends are easy to find and going to change those too. Once these bits are done hopefully we can finally try registration.
Other (surprisingly) hard to find bit we need is the door belt moldings. The old ones are pretty much perished. It's quite simple shape (see pictures), but for some reason there seems to be no one who makes even vaguely correct shape or size. I bought some from eBay that were supposed to fit, it was the correct shape but it was like 5 times too thick.