Ownership Verified: Toyota Supra TT '94

You just compared a Toyota to a Porsche/Ferrari :p

What's wrong with that? It was placed as a concurrent to the 348, 993, NSX, so the comparison works ... Toyota gave everything they have (had? :() for this car and it worked out

On the other hand, Supra wouldn't have just 200 kilowatts / 276 hp if the Toyota engineers hadn't been limited by regulations/gentlemen agreement. 2JZ was definitely designed to produce much more than that.

So if you tune it just a bit, isn't that just making the car a bit more like it should've been in the first place?

Nobody would really care today about the Supra or Skyline if it wasn't for their tinkering potential. As I said, the point of those cars is making more of them than the manufacturer did and doing it according to one's own tastes.
I mean to each their own, but if I was into impressing really anal people with the authenticity of my car, a Supra TT wouldn't be my first choice. Also, don't buy one if you're looking for longterm financial value.

Anyways, the wheels are all wrong on this one already. As are the skirts. And the exhaust. Such blasphemy.

Last edited:
Don't worry, all the parts you mentioned will be changed ;) wheels aren't wide enough and are too far in, that exhaust pipe is horrible and side skirts are cracked. Two first ones will be changed before next summer, side skirts aren't very high on tha to do-list yet.

Originally car has been silver, but apparently some of the previous owners got bored with it and result was this color (which has already seen it's best days too). And someone has also done facelifting with the side markers, skirts and everything.

No, this car won't stay OEM...but it won't be tasteless tuningmonsterbooyeah-kind of car either. I love OEM looking Supras, but I don't want my own to be like that.

I didn't mean to say they are wrong per se, just not stock.
Should be fun whatever you're gonna do with it.

Well, a stock car would go up in financial value, so I don't get that point. ;) And the skirts are OEM parts.

But it's your car, keep it tasteful and don't tune it on the cheap side!

Ohh there you are finally! :clap:

I love this car. Take good care of it, I beg you!

Oh but I have two questions.
1) You said you're planning an upgrade, including turbochargers. Sounds like it's not going to be a single turbo? :)
2) If it's a pre-facelift, why did some owner in the car's life cycle decide to paint it in Grayish Green Mica Metallic and even put the facelift sidemarkers on?

I'm doing my best! I hope one day it will look like a new one. With some upgrades ;)

1) After seeing the original twinturbo system it was quite clear that once they've been taken off they won't go back...well, to be honest the turbos are old and starting to be in the end of their lifespan. Servicing those would cost almost as much as new single-setup with all the parts, so you can guess which option I will choose :D

2) I have know idea why someone has done it, especially moving side markers...

Well, a stock car would go up in financial value, so I don't get that point. ;) And the skirts are OEM parts.

But it's your car, keep it tasteful and don't tune it on the cheap side!

Actually here in Finland the expensive ones are those which have the most mods in the engine bay. If one would want Supras value go up, it would need low mileage (at least less than 100k km) and mint condition allround. If this one would be like that, I would keep it like that. But this isn't; it has 170k km and too many careless owners, so there's nothing to lose! :D

Dins: Yes, fun is exactly the thing, I'm not taking this too seriously. Just gonna make it look like I want, sound like I want and move like I want :) and totally agree what you said about Supra/Skyline/etc. These cars are meant for more than plain stock condition...

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't mind my asking, what was your previous hobby, that you figured you have "completed"? :p

Heh, I was actually a cyclist. Competing and tuning my bikes. Had done everything and achieved everything I imagined to be realistic, so it was time to find something completely new.

Last edited:
Heh, I was actually a cyclist. Competing and tuning my bikes. Had done everything and achieved everything I imagined to be realistic, so it was time to find something completely new.
So no yellow shirt and tour de france victory in the near future?

But this isn't; it has 170k km and too many careless owners, so there's nothing to lose! :D

Go go and do it, give her a new life and be a care-taking owner! :)

Any hope in seeing this on next years FG Roadtrip? I'd love to have a ride! :D
http://forums.finalgear.com/finalge...oadtrip-2015-let-the-planning-commence-58529/

If the car is together and working before that (should be..!) then there's a chance Supra can show up :)

Last weekend we started to take off the original turbos and other parts from the car. The plan is to take the engine head off and take it to machinery (not sure if this is a correct term in english...) where professionals can check the heads condition. To do this I decided to take off all necessary parts and check everything.

Started from here:

IMG_0554.JPG

Didn't really get very far, because taking off the original turbos is perhaps one of the trickiest things to do with 2JZ engine. This was the part I realized these turbos aren't going back once I get them off! So for this weekend I searched for instructions and went from this:

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

To this:

IMG_0567.JPG

So now they're off, woohoo! After that I took exhaust manifold off too. At the process found out that 2/6 of the manifold bolts were veeerry loose, one of them was almost off already...But well, to the next one then. So today's work was to get the inlet manifold off with Polkky. Started to wonder if it's glued or something when at first it wouldn't come off at all. And then we found one more bolt... :D after taking that one off it came off quite easily. Forgot to take pictures from that one...

Polkky got home and I continued yet for a while and took the camshaft cover and cambelt off. I think previous owners have had "longlife maintenance program", that much shit there was...It really was time to do a bit larger maintenance.

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

The plan is to take the engine head off and take it to machinery (not sure if this is a correct term in english...)

koneistamo = machine shop
koneistaja = machinist

I think I like where this going. What kind of power figures are you aiming for?

Just go ahead, moar boost, not every example has to be saved to following generations in original state and less there is, more values of originals go north.

koneistamo = machine shop
koneistaja = machinist

I think I like where this going. What kind of power figures are you aiming for?

Thanks, few words more in my vocabulary now ;)

As for starters I could aim for 450-500hp. That's about maximum for automatic gearbox. When I crave for more, I need to make the gearbox stronger, switch it to manual one or sell the car and buy one with manual box. But there's quite many other things to do before that...Actually I could now make a "short" list what needs to be done for sure.

-Update the turbos => going single with Holset HX40 Super + exhaust manifold, wastegate, oil lines etc.
-engine head service
-change the differential, no LSD at the moment
-change shock absorbers and springs => BC Racing BR coilovers ordered
-new wheels
-polyurethane bushings
-change the exhaust pipe => got new one already
-fix side skirts
-do something with the hood (there's some ugly scratches)
-update brakes
-change water pump
-change oil pump
-update fuel pump
-update injectors
-update sound system
-new paint

List is endless...Unfortunately I'm not millionaire, so it will take few years before I can consider it ready. And usually building these cars tends to go as in the video which samulis posted... :)

:lol:

That video managed capture the main issue with projects on cars like the mk4 Supra. Too many end up as "dyno queens".

I like your current goal as it seems to be in the sweet spot for "real world" driveability (quick spool-up, reliability, etc.).

Last edited:
Before you go and pull the trigger with Holset, see if you can buy something that isnt 20yrs old design, ballbearing GT Garrett etc. Having ballbears in turbo makes a nice difference on waking up and how it reacts to loud pedal movement. I guess your going to use gods gift to boosted cars, e85. If so, then ad to your list LSx (modern small block chevy v8) truck coils to spark your life.
Instead of aiming to dynoqueen on whp, shoot for lots of torque, much more fun.

Last edited:
I second more modern turbos and upgrading ignition. What i also would like to see is keeping the sequential turbo setup, it's so cool and unique!

Few hours spent with the car again.

IMG_0603.JPG

Head is now taken off and going into machine shop next week.

IMG_0604.JPG

Seemed ok in here.

Got some new parts too when BC Racing BR Coilovers arrived:

IMG_0602.JPG

And got them fitted, no idea about the height of the car :D but that's going to be found out later when there's some wheels to fit.

IMG_0608.JPG[

Need to look through turbo options, haven't bought anything yet. But single it is going to be, no twins anymore ;) Biggest limiting factor with the turbo is naturally the budget, that's one reason I thought for HX40 for first. There's many Supras in here built with that and it is easy to sell if I want better one after a while.