Ownership Verified: Toyota Supra TT '94

R.A.;n3549026 said:
I also need to get some oil cooler for the car. On the highway oil temps are rising close to 110c which is a bit too much. On the track (when I someday get there with the car) temps will probably rise even higher. So that will be next thing to get after these rear subframe issues are done.

110c is too much? In the 140i that seems to be operating temp. Although I understand the oil cooler need for track work.

loose_unit;n3549029 said:
110c is too much? In the 140i that seems to be operating temp. Although I understand the oil cooler need for track work.

Maybe it is okay after all. Yesterday was first warmer day for a while when I drove the car and 110c oil temp just caught my eye :D hadn’t really thought about it before.

After some research most of the oil manufacturers say that their synthetic oils should be okay even up to 150c, although general opinion seems to be that if oil temp shouldn’t go over 120c for prolonged periods.

It's been a while since the latest update, so I'll make a long story short.

Back in fall of 2018 I drove Supra into garage and made a compression test. Sixth cylinder had only half of the compression left compared to cylinders 1-5. Plan was anyways to make a stronger and higher compression engine at some point so it seemed that the time had come. So I took the engine out and ripped it apart. I decided that before I had collected all the needed parts, I wouldn't do anything. And because of that, we can fast forward 1,5 years...

At the winter 2020 I finally had all the parts (or at least I thought I did). Took the engine block to the machine shop and started to put it back together. Rebuilt engine got 10:1 compression rate Manley Turbo Tuff pistons, heavy duty connecting rods with ARP bolts, HKS 272 camshafts, billet Kenax (Finnish machine shop) crankshaft main caps, billet Kenax timing belt tensioner, Gates Racing timing belt, ARP bolts for both block and head, full Radium fuel system with 2000cc Bosch EV14 injectors...

Well, got the engine together, mated it with the transmission with new RPS Twin Carbon clutch (rated for 800lbs/ft torque) and bolted the package back where it belongs. I was very happy to get the engine back in after almost two years!

One setback was yet to be found out though: Car had had leaking steering rack for almost all the time I've had it. During this building time I changed new seal kit into it, but guess if it held oil inside the system...nooooot. I was so frustrated with the thing that I just bit the bullet and ordered a factory new steering rack. Had to wait it for a month, but after that everything was good.
New adjustments for the ecu were slightly troubleful at first since car runs now with E85 only and old maps were for gasoline. But got it done and learned few things along the way, which is always nice.

Before my summer vacation started I promised to myself that car will be ready before holiday ends. Technically I guess I was able to keep that promise, since I got it to dyno on last day of my vacation :D

Car made 680whp/830wnm. After two years of not driving it....It does feel quite fast :)