• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Trackers

mr_diss

I've only just starting using bit torrent so I don't really know how it works.... I've got downloads to work by downloading .torrent files and starting them off in the bittorrent client, but what are trackers? If I just click the link for a tracker should anything happen or will internet explorer just start crying? Or are trackers lists of .torrent files or what?

I'm confused!

This is what Wikipedia says about Trackers:

Downloading with BitTorrent is straightforward. Each person who wants to download the file first downloads the torrent and opens it in the BitTorrent client software. The torrent file tells the client the address of the tracker, which, in turn, maintains a log of which users are downloading the file and where the file and its fragments reside. For each available source, the client considers which blocks of the file are available, then requests the rarest block it does not yet have. This makes it more likely that peers will have blocks to exchange. As soon as the client finishes importing a block, it hashes it to make sure that the block matches what the torrent file said it should be. Then it begins looking for someone to upload the block to.

The rest can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

Wikipedia owns.