Trailer - Star Wars: The Clone Wars CG TV series

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
http://img145.imageshack.**/img145/6849/swtcwcivposterfn5.jpg​
Star Wars: The Clone Wars is an American 3D CGI animated television series currently set to debut in 2008. It is set in the fictional Star Wars galaxy; a continuation of the 2003 Star Wars: Clone Wars series. At April 2005's Star Wars Celebration III, George Lucas stated "you know we are working on a 3-D continuation of the pilot series that was on the Cartoon Network; we probably won't start that project for another year." Dave Filoni, who has worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender, is the supervising director of the series. Genndy Tartakovsky, director of the first Clone Wars series, will not be involved with the production.

At Comic-Con 2005, several announcements were made on the work on the series. As of July 12, 2005, pre-production had begun on the series, according to Steve Sansweet, head of Lucasfilm fan relations. Sansweet referred to the series as "the next generation of the Star Wars saga, a cutting edge 30-minute, 3-D computer-animation series based on the Clone Wars that take place between Episode II ... and Episode III." Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Count Dooku, Palpatine and General Grievous are expected to appear. Sansweet described the look of the new series as "a melding of Asian anime with unique 3-D animation styling." Primary production will take place at the Lucasfilm Animation facility in Singapore.

According to another statement by Sansweet, "Over the next several years, Lucasfilm Animation will be hiring a total of about 300 digital artists and others in both California and Singapore locations to produce not only the series, but animated feature films in the years ahead." He said about the series, "to get the series underway, Lucasfilm Animation has hired key production and creative talent to lead the development of its first animation project." Sansweet has said that "a large component of the future of Star Wars and Lucasfilm is digital animation." Gail Currey, the Vice President and General Manager of Lucasfilm Animation, has stated that she felt the early treatments for the series were amazing, and that she couldn't wait to share it with Star Wars fans.

At a press conference for Revenge of the Sith, Frank Oz confirmed that he would be involved with the series. Anthony Daniels confirmed in June of 2006 that he had been contacted for the series. Many of the actors from the original cartoon series are expected to return.

A video interview with Rob Coleman from Imagina 2007 can be found here: In the interview Coleman divulged this information:

Currently 15 episodes in various stages of production
One episode fully completed; another almost completed
Coleman to direct 5 of the first 26 episodes
Some licensees have viewed footage and the reaction was very positive
Final assembly of shows is done at Skywalker Ranch
In February of 2007, Anthony Daniels revealed on his website that the eleventh episode will be titled "Destroy Malevolence." However, the information was removed shortly thereafter.

At George Lucas' March 3 appearance at the 2007 William S. Paley Television Festival, Lucas revealed the following information:

The title of the series will be simply Clone Wars
The series is episodic, so it won't focus on the Skywalker story. Specifics mentioned were:
"Episodes with nothing but stormtroopers"
An "episode just about Kit Fisto"
There is still no television network set for the series
On the red carpet at the same event, Lucas revealed further information in a fan interview:

There will be a new Padawan Togruta character named Asoka
There will be over 100 episodes
An appearance by Boba Fett is possible
On April 8, Ain't It Cool News reported that musician Eric Rigler had recorded some music for the series. Rigler disclosed the following:

Each of the planets in the series has its own theme music
The planet's music that Rigler developed was based on Bulgarian music and played on Irish pipes
His episode will air in summer of 2008

Trailer: http://starwars.com/video/view/000478.html

Looks sweet. And before anyone says anything, we don't care how much you dislike George Lucas.

Looks interesting. Will probably give it a look. Am just a little over this anime look they have done for all the cartoons etc. Still looks like very good animation.

I think that hell for George Lucas would be having to personally autograph every piece of Star Wars crap he has every licensed for production.

I'm sure it's not just me who saw the style of animation and immediately thought of
tf2a.jpg

Is this aimed at 10 year olds?

Great, more emo kid in space, only now in cgi form.

I think this is pretty exciting. What I really like about the Star Wars universe is that it can forever be expanded; just read the books to experience that!

I think this is pretty exciting. What I really like about the Star Wars universe is that it can forever be expanded; just read the books to experience that!

That is one of the main reasons I love the series. With just a little research you find a gigantic universe that spans hundreds of thousands of years.

I know, necro thread. The movie comes in one week, after looking at the trailers at StarWars.com, I am pretty excited!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHkxSCu_Xpo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I saw the trailer for the movie on tv, and the animation is terrible. Not liking the style (which I don't) is a matter of opinion, but the actual quality is bad. I thought it was an ad for a mid-range video game aimed at young kids just to make some more money off the franchise. I am not looking forward to this, though I will check back here to see what you guys think of it as it goes along.

This film looks appalling. I saw it on TV and thought it was just a bad version of the video however it was just the same in the cinema. Not only does it look poor, it sounds poor too (Star Wars sound effects should always be phenomenal). To tell the truth I thought it was an advert for Star Wars Lego the first time I saw it. I can't stress how bad this looks, especially considering some of the stunning CGI things other studios have been coming out with for years.

Good god that CGI sucks!
Seriously, the ancient CGI used on Babylon 5 looks better.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Star Wars is played out and needs to be put to rest for a couple years?

I would personally like to see other completely different story lines to give it some variety. They have done the current time line to death in my view (I'm a huge Star Wars fan and won't even consider seeing this animated failure).

The CG doesn't suck, it's stylized. Trying to make it look photo real wouldn't work on the budget they have and it would just look stupid. Doing it stylized gets you around that.

The CG doesn't suck, it's stylized. Trying to make it look photo real wouldn't work on the budget they have and it would just look stupid. Doing it stylized gets you around that.

That is just an excuse for being cheap.

I don't agree at all. It's really horrible to look at, almost awkwardly so. George Lucas has both the money and the technology to make stunning looking things in CGI (just look at some of the surroundings in the other films). In fact the graphics in this film reminded my friend and I of a Playstation 2 game called Timesplitters:

timesplitters-2-ps2-1.jpg

This game was supposed to look stupid and played on the fact that the graphics were bad and that was OK because it was really fun to play. The Playstation 2 could do much better graphics wise, so just think of what George Lucas could have done with the technology available to him and his company.

That is just an excuse for being cheap.

No, it's not. They are using fairly simple models and textures but are going with fairly good lighting, particle effects, animation, and audio. It doesn't look the way it does because they are being "cheap", it's the direction they wanted to go with. Ever see the Clone Wars animated? Not the best or most realistic animation but still good.

If you actually look at what they have done you will see that the CG isn't "bad".

All right, let us compare and contrast. A few posts above, I linked to the new Star Wars movie/TV series.

Now, here is chapter 1 from the Cartoon Network shorts:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzkNolxUe54&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Please read after viewing the YouTube segment.
I think some of you are forever displeased with progress. For some, it has to be the original, or nothing. Let us take an objective look at the first three Star Wars movies: the acting was bad, the dialogue was equally so, but the story and the immersion into into it is what endeared our hearts to the Star Wars universe.
The next three, ad nauseum. But the special effects were spectacular, the story itself very interesting. So, why are are some of you setting up to be disappointed? To what are you comparing it to? Sorry, not every movie or series can be The Empire Strikes Back. Take it for what it is: a fun, entertaining way to spend an hour and a half. I like the style of animation; it is *gasp* different and new. I know, I know...some of you are scared of change.
And ifANY of you were true Star Wars fans, you would be reading the books, the strongest facet of the entire Star Wars universe. Until then, you are only a padawan, and not a full fledged Star Wars Geek Knight. ;)