Trains...

Hate to break it to ya, but 3751 was not alone in the videos. She had two diesels coupled right behind the tender; a Metrolink MP36PH-3C in the first video and an Amtrak P42DC in the second video.

Oh right, I didn't notice that. Probably because I'm not really familiar with American locomotives.

Like with cars, previous gen of ecoboost required enormous revs to run.

I fancy that they decided to split revs in 5 steps for 8 positions, so switching between evens and odds is on the same revs (which saves on accelerating the gen)

- - - - - -

I KNEW train simulators were lying! Trains cross washed-out bridges just in-tact.

[/IMG]

No, seriously, HOW the fuck did it stay on?

Is the California Zephyr between Denver and Grand Junction (also CO) a trip worth making in the middle of March?

I rode the Calfornia Zephyr between Chicago and KC a couple years back. Interesting experience for me since I'd never been on an actual passenger train before. Can't say what that section would be like on a train, but I-70 through there is quite interesting. Lots of great vistas and even a tunnel.

While we're at the subject of fast steam locomotives: This series 18 201 from the former East German Railway is currently the fastest (functioning) steam locomotive in the world, with a Vmax of 180 kph and in this video she actually set the world speed record for a steam locomotives in the 21st century :D

[video=youtube;ws3--UaSJiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws3--UaSJiM[/video]

Last edited:
Amateurs. :tease:

This series 18 201 from the former East German Railway

Her running gear looks awfully alike with Gresley's A3/A4 series. :hmm:

But technicalities aside, i like the fact some of thoose beautiful things are actually run for their money in present days.

Last edited:
I actually wonder, why steam streamliners haven't catch on. (one of the guesses is people love to see the machinery at work :rolleyes:) They look something futurah!

drg__05-001_a.jpg

Also, Cab-forwards <3

20110728080545_5086101742_be5d08e86c_b.jpg

4d3af701fd09dce2540b590d9bb6e842.jpg

- - - - - -

...aaand while we're on the subject of steamers, i also adore Shay 3-cylinders. Which sound exacly like sport trucks at the rally stage.

27176ff953380634a4c7f26fd8db2222.jpg

(if only i could find nice quality video without whistling or cameraman jabbering)

Last edited:
I rode the Calfornia Zephyr between Chicago and KC a couple years back. Interesting experience for me since I'd never been on an actual passenger train before. Can't say what that section would be like on a train, but I-70 through there is quite interesting. Lots of great vistas
From what I've read, the train should be similar or even better. While you can't stop to gawk at the Colorado countryside, you don't have to keep your eyes on the road the rest of the time.

Reminds me of TG US for some reason... :whistle:

I actually wonder, why steam streamliners haven't catch on. (one of the guesses is people love to see the machinery at work :rolleyes:) They look something futurah!

drg__05-001_a.jpg

There is an old German educational (I think) film from the 1930's or so, where the assembly of such a streamlined series 005 is shown.

Here it is (even with partly English subtitles):

That's a very interesting video indeed! Thanks for sharing, can't rep you atm.

Streamlining didn't really catch on because it increased maintenance times since it he to be removed for major servicing work and also because it didn't really do anything for performance. The idea was fine in principle but aerodynamics as a science was still in its infancy so while it may have looked good it offered little in the way of a performance advantage.

Yeah, well... even in 1935 steam locomotives were already outdated anyway. Electrical locomotives and diesel locomotives had a much, much higher efficiency, streamlined or not. At the same time those streamlined series 05 steam locomotives were built, this was already one the market as well:

118-054.jpg

Interesting side note: It is rumored that some of the American PRR T1 and S1 steam locomotives "unintentionally" broke the speed record of the Mallard (which until today is disputed anyway). Funny thing is, though, that the Americans never bothered with official record runs. It surely was technically possible to run the S1 with 220 kph or more but it was never documented.

I'm sure such a slip-up wouldn't happen anymore today :D

Last edited:
Streamline trains aren't popular because it's difficult to perform maintenance and difficult for switching which is why the roundy streamlined EMD units aren't still made today. The only thing remotely close are passenger mainline engines were yard switching never really happens.

I think that has more to do with the higher speeds than switching cars.

Streamline trains aren't popular because it's difficult to perform maintenance and difficult for switching which is why the roundy streamlined EMD units aren't still made today. The only thing remotely close are passenger mainline engines were yard switching never really happens.

Roight, million rattleing doors and freezing walkways are so much better at maintenance than warm & cozy engine bay. <_< And if we're talking serious shit, like an engine swap, Britts using removable top & crane hangars for years, and it's not like they're complaining...

Personally, i have nothing against naked locos, but for sake of difference, why can't we join P42 body with SD70 chassis, add some modified autorack cars and have double-deck-high slim freight train? No gaps from top to bottom. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
vOeKSUB.jpg

:lol:
Yes, I'm 6 years old, why do you ask?

My collection is growing...

Metra, Chicago & Northwestern, and Chicago Rock Island and Pacific. The rock island engine is a cheapy Tyco (yes the remote control car company) bought for the price of shipping through a facebook model train group. The Rock Island coaches came from a local hobby shop, all used. CNW everything came from a model train swap meet last Sunday. The Metra stuff came mostly from Amazon thanks to credit card points, two coaches came from the same hobby shop the rock island stuff came from.

The issue with the CNW and Rock Island coaches is they cannot handle the sharp 9 inch radius curved track I have and they fall off the track at each turn. The Metra stuff was made to handle the sharp model track curves. Even though real life track curves are never this sharp.

something something you need a girlfriend. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

An oddly fascinating video showing an old steam locomotive being cut up for scrap metal. All i know is that it's an USATC S160 and that the video is from 1955 Italy.

[video=youtube;jiL6-RyCDT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiL6-RyCDT0[/video]