Trains...

Tram13

Hilariously brilliant. It reminded me of the Siemens Taurus' musical scale acceleration sound, probably because I tried to record one (semi-successfully) a few days ago in action from my room's window.

Here's a video explaining what I mean. It's not my video, mine turned out a lot worse as the locomotive didn't make the full scale, just three different tones.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Hilariously brilliant. It reminded me of the Siemens Taurus' musical scale acceleration sound, probably because I tried to record one (semi-successfully) a few days ago in action from my room's window.

Here's a video explaining what I mean. It's not my video, mine turned out a lot worse as the locomotive didn't make the full scale, just three different tones.

i bet there was a discussion about this at Siemens. “Berthold, this sound, can we get rid of it?” “Herr Porten, I think it’s nice.” “Ok, leave it, I kind of like it too.”

My field of work deals with controlling electric motor speeds and some electric trains and cars make similar sounds when they ramp up in speed. It can be tuned out in the frequency drive’s parameters but most leave that alone which I’m guess is what is happening here.”

Last edited:

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
I love it when machines make noises due to an accident of design.

The best of all to my mind being the AVRO Vulcan's eerie howl. Plenty of examples on YouTube, best enjoyed loud through headphones.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
I haven't played a Train Sim insert year for ages, I bought it when it was Railworks. They basically added nothing and I'm too tight to buy the packs, the graphics are still pretty impressive.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
So Metra finally got some new locomotives that meet the weight limit on the route near where I live. Apparently F59PHI’s are the ticket where the MP36, and F59H’s failed. In a new paint scheme as well which makes it much nicer over the solid blue with orange cap of old.

These are to replaced the ancient F40PH’s which are loud as fuck and have been fine but recently have started to break down more often and the restore rate isn’t as quick. It’s good that while they’re not brand new engines, but they’re newer. These as I understand it come from Amtrak’s Coaster route on the west coast.

8FE0381C-4F03-40B1-95F6-9DC55E5E8D44.jpeg

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i