Trains...

Worst graffetti evah! And just a tad nasty.

Our gas is so cheap we wanted to piss more just for omfun

A bunch of musem locos on their way back from an exhibition - something you don't see everyday:

[video=youtube;d7TgVRqQf-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7TgVRqQf-g[/video]

Last edited:
Usual NR combo, but these ones are red and shiny! An unusually large 36 car consist for the Ghan passenger train ex Adelaide to Darwin yesterday :)

Ghan_SCJ010315small.jpg

What can go wrong? Well, this is not how to move a train off a ship.

Ouch!

Edit:

Here is a couple of films about train yards.

Last edited:
Talking about train yards: Aerial pictures of train yards have a certain artsy quality to them, don't you think?

bahn-von-oben-06_maxsize_2048_1536.jpg

[video=youtube;CB-nBhsMiYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-nBhsMiYc[/video]

Trains...

So Metra, the local commuter rail service is upgrading all of their lines to PTC because of a mandate. What's frustrating is ticket prices are going up to pay for the new signaling and other equipment. Metra hasn't had a many collisions with other trains and derailments. What they have a lot of is suicidal people wandering onto the tracks. I'm pretty sure PTC won't take care of that problem.

I watched this tonight, it is worth a look.

:smile:

Britain's Deadliest Rail Disaster: Quintinshill - BBC iPlayer

BBC TV said:
On 22 May 1915, a collision at the Quintinshill signal box, near Gretna, became Britain's deadliest ever rail crash. Involving a military train filled with troops - most of whom were from Leith - heading for Gallipoli and two passenger trains, the crash claimed an estimated 226 lives and left hundreds more injured.

The duty signalmen, George Meakin and James Tinsley, were found responsible for the disaster and were both jailed on the charges of culpable homicide.

Neil Oliver explores the series of mistakes that may have caused the collision, the part played by the train companies and the government, and determines whether the investigation would have come to the same conclusions if it were carried out today. Dramatised reconstructions add to this compelling account of a tragedy which had a profound effect on several communities in Scotland, and remains the deadliest in the annals of Britain's railways.

Reactions: MWF
I noticed that was on but was out last night. Will probably catch it on iPlayer this evening.

Thought that this may be of interest to some people here, I think this is a new series, which I watched last week. Very interesting and worth a look if you like travel/trains/history, etc.

BBC TV - Great Continental Railway Journeys

This was the previous run, just charting the British Railways, matching today's railways against a 1863 railway guide. All good stuff.
Great British Railway Journeys (wiki)

:smile:

New Series Starting 1st Februay, 2016:

Great American Railroad Journeys - BBC iPlayer

BBC TV said:
Great American Railroad Journeys - 1. Manhattan: Grand Central to Broadway

Michael Portillo crosses the Atlantic to ride the railroads of America with a new travelling companion. Armed with Appleton's General Guide to the United States, published in 1879, Michael begins his American odyssey in New York City.

Starting at Grand Central Terminal, the 'gateway to the nation', he boards the Manhattan subway system, the busiest rail transit system in the US. His first stop is the Rockefeller Centre, where he gets a bird's eye view of Manhattan Island and learns how about the technology which enabled the city to build up.

Portillo heads to the Financial District, where, over a Lobster Newberg, he finds out how the dodgy political dealings of the era's famous industrialists earned them the nickname 'Robber Barons'. He observes their better side at the Metropolitan Museum of Art as he learns that philanthropy helped the city's burgeoning art scene, before finishing his journey midtown, among the bright lights of Broadway.

Finally got my shelf hung up.

I sometimes get the wafflers who like to hear the sound of their own voices on the train I get but they're never that interesting. I love the fact that he actually turned the lights off. :lol: