Trains...

I'm not sure whether I'm disgusted by our 3rd World infrastructure or amazed the train can actually make it thru.

I wouldn't call it third world. Freight transport is the most efficient here in the states and we move the most by rail. It's the passenger side we have no idea how to do.

I wouldn't call it third world. Freight transport is the most efficient here in the states and we move the most by rail. It's the passenger side we have no idea how to do.

Relevant video:

PXbpUZF.jpg

One I took on my last trip.

Reactions: MWF
wow, you must have a lot of place to hide it :p

The Durango-Silverton line has two engines like this. Unfortunately I got there to take a photo just as one was pulling away and I couldn't make it to the front in time for video or to get them both standing together.

TIL the Swiss C6/8 II from 1919 had an electronic braking system that allowed for power recuperation during braking and even feeding it back into the grid system.

1280px-Ce_6-8_II_neu.jpg

That is an ugly train. Neat technology though.

Well nobody had heard of aerodynamics back then. Even when it was attempted in subsequent decades it was still pretty ineffectual.

William Stanier's Coronation Class locos were introduced with "streamlining" in 1937....

1280px-DUTCHESS_OF_HAMILTON_RAILFEST_YORK_JUNE_2012_%287159285249%29.jpg

... but within a few years the casing was removed as no practical benefit could be demonstrated...

1280px-Duchess_of_Hamilton_-_2006-05-06.jpg

That is an ugly train. Neat technology though.

People started calling it the Krokodil (crocodile). I like it, it's weird and unusual!

The "Crocodile" is an absolute cult locomotive.

It was developed for the Gotthard Railway, which to this day is probably the most famous and most astonishing railroad line in the world.

And now for the complete opposite: How long can a coin stand on it's edge in a train travelling at 350 kph? The answer is "very long". :p

Eye-Q;n3550516 said:
And now for the complete opposite: How long can a coin stand on it's edge in a train travelling at 350 kph? The answer is "very long". :p
Sweet! I should try that one of these days.

You can do this in the DB trains, right?

Their top speed is 300km/h in Germany and 320 in France (because Northern France is very flat), but I moved to Shanghai a month ago and have this funny idea about a day trip to Beijing in my head... it's only about 1200km one way, after all! :-D

UP 4014 moving under her own steam for the first time almost 61 years following a 5 year restoration at UP's steam shop in Cheyenne

Been following the restoration on and off since 2014, they did an incredible job. Nice to see a company invest in preserving their own heritage like this. Especially since this won't bring them any revenue and the locomotive could easily have remained preserved at the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society where it sat since 1962.

UP 4014 moving under her own steam for the first time almost 61 years following a 5 year restoration at UP's steam shop in Cheyenne

Been following the restoration on and off since 2014, they did an incredible job. Nice to see a company invest in preserving their own heritage like this. Especially since this won't bring them any revenue and the locomotive could easily have remained preserved at the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society where it sat since 1962.

Better yet, unlike the British, we didn't throw all of them away and have to build a new one from scratch when we decided it would be cool to make one run again.