Trains...

Awful yet simultaneously strangely brilliant.

Hilariously brilliant. It reminded me of the Siemens Taurus' musical scale acceleration sound, probably because I tried to record one (semi-successfully) a few days ago in action from my room's window.

Here's a video explaining what I mean. It's not my video, mine turned out a lot worse as the locomotive didn't make the full scale, just three different tones.

Hilariously brilliant. It reminded me of the Siemens Taurus' musical scale acceleration sound, probably because I tried to record one (semi-successfully) a few days ago in action from my room's window.

Here's a video explaining what I mean. It's not my video, mine turned out a lot worse as the locomotive didn't make the full scale, just three different tones.

i bet there was a discussion about this at Siemens. “Berthold, this sound, can we get rid of it?” “Herr Porten, I think it’s nice.” “Ok, leave it, I kind of like it too.”

My field of work deals with controlling electric motor speeds and some electric trains and cars make similar sounds when they ramp up in speed. It can be tuned out in the frequency drive’s parameters but most leave that alone which I’m guess is what is happening here.”

Last edited:
I love it when machines make noises due to an accident of design.

The best of all to my mind being the AVRO Vulcan's eerie howl. Plenty of examples on YouTube, best enjoyed loud through headphones.

Train Sim World is on Xbox Game Pass right now. Why am I driving trains? I have no idea.

Me too! I have Train Sim 2019. Where do I go? Nobody knows.

I haven't played a Train Sim insert year for ages, I bought it when it was Railworks. They basically added nothing and I'm too tight to buy the packs, the graphics are still pretty impressive.

Yeah Maumee & Western was supposedly bought by a conglomerate that planned to invest and fix all this. Genesee & Wyoming I think, have you seen any improvements yet? I haven't...

EDIT

ah, watched video, not G&E...

Free tanks! Well, actually there are six...

So Metra finally got some new locomotives that meet the weight limit on the route near where I live. Apparently F59PHI’s are the ticket where the MP36, and F59H’s failed. In a new paint scheme as well which makes it much nicer over the solid blue with orange cap of old.

These are to replaced the ancient F40PH’s which are loud as fuck and have been fine but recently have started to break down more often and the restore rate isn’t as quick. It’s good that while they’re not brand new engines, but they’re newer. These as I understand it come from Amtrak’s Coaster route on the west coast.

8FE0381C-4F03-40B1-95F6-9DC55E5E8D44.jpeg

"There you go, it stopped."

What the actual fuck?!?!?! Did it hit another train?

Not fully train related, I like the “keep everything still but the cloud.”

ECC2A00B-2AA3-4791-A36E-BDBD4D5F6595.jpeg
451E5FD2-90C1-4259-9D63-A019FAAC4434.jpeg
E1764E10-86E3-4572-9AD5-C4E04CDC4B1F.jpeg
8A536173-85FB-4135-8F66-678C67581DD0.jpeg
F04EF280-3D19-4888-8C10-8EF936CE7C8E.jpeg
3A1DE3E0-7D07-4AB7-86B1-2A664E3B7839.jpeg
FA43FEC3-49C8-4813-BA8F-25171B925870.jpeg