Trains...

I liked that one, so here’s another one!

1612527275039.png

1612527292024.png

If trains had straight up lounge chairs like that today, I’d take trains more often.

Metra’s st Patrick’s painted locomotive is a test mule for battery electric trains. Neat.

CC637B77-081B-4B24-B987-5830E738D051.jpeg

Last edited:
I have this odd feeling to want to take the commuter train from a station I wouldn't normally ever go to. Specifically McHenry, IL to my town of Fox River Grove.

This doesn't go far enough but still, the main gist is McHenry to Crystal Lake. I've driven up and down between here a bunch of times but only ever see this set of tracks just exist. I've never seen a train on them. The times are commuter person who works in an office type, so early morning departure and late afternoon return. It feels so stupid, drive a half hour to a station, ride train back home, wait until early evening and ride back up to drive back home. It all sounds really dumb.

For all of you train peeps.

Good news!!!

And I bet you the electric motors are coming from the ex-Allis & Chalmers factory turned Siemens in the 90s. It’s in Norwood, Ohio just north of Cincinnati and they’ve supplied the motors used on the NEC locomotives. So good stuff! Also, it really shows how GE and EMD can’t seem to move out of the 1970s…

Metra’s heritage theme units. The first 4 are rail names/colors metra took over commuter passenger routes from in late 70s, 80s.

Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Rock Island, Milwaukee Road, and Chicago & Northwestern. Last one is State of Illinois themed.

92B83FB6-3F06-4431-B3EC-BA7AC6EE2548.jpeg

Last edited:
Rode an ICE train last week. ✅

8A444970-A51D-4334-AFA0-97EDFBA2BC5C.jpeg

92EB0F92-18A8-42EF-B0C2-C5FB8CAC5469.jpeg

Wifi worked, was on time, hit vmax of 250km/h. Would recommend.

I was just watching How It's Made and they were in a factory making trains for the US and Europe. They said it was EMD and the most likely candidate is their Ontario factory. How the fuck do they get the trains over here and how does that make sense?

The EMD class 66 is apparently made in the Ontario factory but is 70 feet long and therefore won't fit in a container. Are there special ships with rails that I'm unaware of? I found the whole thing really intriguing.

This is the segment btw:

The EMD class 66 is apparently made in the Ontario factory but is 70 feet long and therefore won't fit in a container. Are there special ships with rails that I'm unaware of? I found the whole thing really intriguing.
You can just crane them on-and-off ships:

I was just watching How It's Made and they were in a factory making trains for the US and Europe. They said it was EMD and the most likely candidate is their Ontario factory. How the fuck do they get the trains over here and how does that make sense?

This is the segment btw:

There are ships that have rails in them. This one is trapped in the Great Lakes.

The Badger spent most of it's life transporting passengers, vehicles, and railcars loaded with coal across Lake Michigan. The coal was used at power plants in Wisconsin. Now it only does passengers and vehicles.

I got to sail on both the Badger and her sister ship, the Spartan as a kid.

I'm not sure if transoceanic lines with rails exist though, these are all relatively short ferry routes.
This. I knew about ferries but I hadn't heard of transatlantic ships. I suppose shoving some rails in or just placing the trains on the deck isn't that unusual, it must take a lot to secure them for rough Atlantic seas though.

Edit: Kinda sorta

The EMD class 66 is apparently made in the Ontario factory but is 70 feet long and therefore won't fit in a container.
Also, length is the least of your worries for containerized transport ... even a small locomotive weighs several times the maximum load of a shipping container.