Travelling the US and Canada

I heard because so many people drive hard on the Tail and there were so many accidents, the road is heavily patrolled by police making it no longer fun to drive, plus you get stuck behind ppl driving slowly (albeit safely) and end up stewing behind a wheel with a lot of road rage because you cannot pass.

This is coming from ppl i know who used to make driving pilgrimages there and say some of the fun has been sucked out of it.

It depends, I've only been twice, and both times I was not able to drive. But whenever I've been it's never been too busy, and never had any problems with cops. I mean the road literally is in the middle of nowhere. Maybe it's because I've only been on the weekdays.

Indeed, I just came back from my trip to Montreal last night. But if you're going to drive through Montreal, and especially the downtown area ... holly shit, pay close attention. Driving through there will be a BITCH. So many one-way streets and forbidden turns, you will not believe.

Oh, and the street signs you may use for orientation are VERY small and usually on the exact opposite corner of the road, so you can't read them until it's too late and you miss your turn ... then you gotta do a U-turn ... if it's permitted.
Also, the streetlights are at eye level .. literally, and they're not overhead, but to the right, so it's VERY easy to miss one. And you better learn Quebec's driving laws, because they're damn weird. No right turn on a red light? Why? What's the point?
Also, be very careful when you drive through Montreal ... jaywalking is a favorite pastime as far as the downtown core area is concerned... So is crossing an intersection on foot on a "do not walk" pedestrian sign. I thought I was going to run someone over on my trip.

But definitely you need to see Montreal, just be very careful when driving.

Yeah. Sorry about that....:| I myself know most of the city is ba for tourists. Bit downtown is somewhere to go to, not to drive through unless you don't have a destination.

RE no right-turns on red light, that's cuz of studies that show that it will kill/injure more people that aleviate traffic.

i know! i know! it's terrible!

Thanks for all the great tips guys! Keep 'em coming.

The Aviation museums in Washington DC sound cool.

PHC for the west coast of course... can you drive up Pikes Peak? or is it a deactivated road? (it's in colorado correct?)

There is a cog rail train that will take you up the mountain, but yes it is closed to driving in the winter months. I would only go up there if it is a clear day though, otherwise you will jsut be cold and unable to breather for no good reason! Ther eis also the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, and I would stop in Glenwood Springs too... hot springs ROCK!!

Arches National Park in Utah is an AWESOME sight, but they mean when they say no services for the next XXX miles, so make sure you have a full tank!

I would also HIGHLY recommend a AAA membership in case something bad happens. AAA can also provide you with excellent tourist guides and they can even give you a detailed route to anywhere you want.

The Spruce Goose was mentioned already, but I would plan a stop at Crater lake too, that is just an amazing sight!

The St. Louis arch is cool, and there is a museum under it or you can ride INSIDE the arch!

I am trying to think of other stuff I have done on road trips, but nothing is coming to mind. I will post more later if I have time. I have done coast to coast trips three times in my life, and each time there was a new adventure!

I would also get a CB radio and/or find the major news or talk stations for each major city you plan to hit so that you can get accurate traffic information, that could save you HOURS of frustration!

If you are going through Utah on I-15 north of Salt Lake City: Stop at the Hill Air Force Base museum. It's free and one of the best air museums in the country.

When in the Bay Area:
Stop at Philz Coffee in San Francisco, best coffee I've had.
Eat a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza at Zachary's Pizza in Berkeley, honestly the best pizza I've ever had.
Drive Highway 1 going north from the Golden Gate Bridge. Fantastic driving road with incredible views.

Not sure how long you will be in the Bay Area, but that should be enough for a quick stopover. There is also all the touristy stuff, but that's no fun for me. If you want to go sailing on the bay, I have a friend who charters out his Catalina 350, Temptation. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and I can get you his number.

Southern Utah has already been mentioned, so I don't need to say anything about that. I have spend a good portion of my life exploring that desert and it still surprises me.

Last edited:
That sailing would be cool, athough I bet it's expensive and I haven't sailed in years, so I don't really remember how.

I can highly suggest Yellowstone, then the drive down through the tetons into the rest of Wyoming, down to New Mexico and to Carlsbad Caverns... but if you're going to be doing this drive with a VW bus, you'll have a hard time driving through the US north of Colorado in April. Roads will be icy, weather won't be pleasant, and without 4 wheel drive you will have some scary moments.

^ I have a Jeep and tow straps... :p

^ I have a Jeep and tow straps... :p

And a V8, or that I6 that doesn't have the torque to tow properly? And proper aggressive mud/snow tires that will drive you nuts with road noise on the highway or just standard "all season tires"? :whistle:

Qualifier: I have a friend with the I6 in his Jeep... it goes, just slowly and not near as well as the V8.

Just trying to look out for you here... we have blizzards that bury our highways under 3 feet of snow, with 40+ mph winds. Semis blow over and need 2-3 large tow trucks to pull them out. Weather can be very bad that time of year, and you need a properly outfitted vehicle or you'll be one of the paragraph long "family from Connecticut dies driving in blizzard" blurbs we get in the paper.

Wetaskawin

Wetaskawin

About 70 km south of Edmonton is the Reynolds-Alberta Museum.

It is great to get out of the car and go look at some cars. And tractors. And planes.

The Petersen Automotive Museum is on my California Road Trip to do list.

The rest of my trip through the states would be based on the Food Networks Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

And I would have to get to Laguna Seca.
And Lambeau Field.

Have a Great Trip Neighbour!

^Do you live near blueridge (the rec center there)? I recognise your Fox... I think I've seen it around. Nice car, you don't see many.

Qualifier: I have a friend with the I6 in his Jeep... it goes, just slowly and not near as well as the V8.

It's not as quick as my Dad's V8 Grand Cherokee, but the 4.0L I6 goes pretty good in the regular old cherokee (granted with the 5speed). I've got All terrain tires. Rated for mud and snow. They will be what I'm using for the trip, after that it's on to some real mud tires.

I've got plenty of experience in the snow too, I work up a mountain and am constantly driving the unplowed mountain road at 5am in the morning in the fog.

Well, if you make it to Utah, I would also recommend Mt. Nebo Loop (If its open the time of year you come through) and The Wedge Overlook/Little Grand Canyon, out in the San Rafael Swell...
Click for Picture
Or, if you are going to be more around southern Utah (Bryce Canyon area) there is Powell's point, although, 4x4 is pretty necessary for the last few miles of the road(cherokee *should* be able to make it, although its been a few years since i was last up there) Click for Picture
PM me if you want more info on these spots... I go camping/driving around alot, so I know a good chunk of the state pretty well... :cool:

Last edited:
JJJ: i take it you like wine? You should do the Oz n James wine tour of Napa, Monterey, Santa Barbara counties and visit vineyards and do wine tastings.

JJJ: i take it you like wine? You should do the Oz n James wine tour of Napa, Monterey, Santa Barbara counties and visit vineyards and do wine tastings.

That'd be cool, but I think I'd probably have to be 21 for that... I'm only 19 <_<

Eat a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza at Zachary's Pizza in Berkeley, honestly the best pizza I've ever had.

Funny you say that, because the only real argument I have with my g/f is about pizza. She's a big fan of Zachary's, and I think even BJ's has better pizza than Zachary's. I'm a big fan of Pizza Chicago (SF, Palo Alto & San Jose...the Palo Alto location is the best). Sausage and Mushroom with garlic. Mmmm..

This, of course, is all deep-dish pizza we're talking about here.

Last edited:
If you do actually make it all the way to St. John's, NL, make sure you spend a night on George Street. Newfoundland is also pretty scenic, but the highway sucks. Don't travel at night...there's lots of fog and moose to hit.