• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Travlling in Europe

v1ct0r

well since a lot of people on this forum live in europe, I was wondering what cities I should go visit. I'm going with a group of friends and paris and a bunch of cities in germany are guaranteed. But i'm staying another week and i'm deciding between amsterdam or london and maybe barcelona if i'm not lazy because I would have to fly there from paris and back. So I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this. Also, going to London I would have to convert to pounds.. :?

There is a major difference between Amsterdam and London, athough both are easily accesibly from Paris either by train or plane, prices should be roughly equal.
When are you planning to go?

i posted a thread similar to this. But my trip includes:

london, paris, amsterdam, venice, florence, rome, then over to barcelona or madrid.

5 weeks for me. 1 week per country avg.

We were planning to go from 6/6-6/28 or so. I just found out that I am unable to go to Amsterdam through RyanAir because it lands so far away and no german cities go to that country through ryanair...hmm. Everyone says London wasn't as fun as amsterdam..i'm turning 18 by the way so you can think of the reasons I want to go to certain places rather than others...

if u wanne spend money, go to london
if u wanne get wasted, go to amsterdam ;)

joking aside. london is one of those cities everyone should have visited at least once (i haven't yet), while amsterdam is just nice, nothing special

There are two direct train links to Amsterdam from Germany, both will cost you more than a plane ticket ;) From where do you want to go to Amsterdam? check www.opodo.com for flights, although one-way flight are more expensive. :?

Where are you planning to go in Germany?

avanti, i'm hitting up venice, florence, rome. 3 full days in each city, you think that's enough?

AxlxA said:
avanti, i'm hitting up venice, florence, rome. 3 full days in each city, you think that's enough?

I've been to Venice and I saw it in 1 day. I hated it. I'm never going again. I'm happy I saw it, but never again. Only thing you see are tourists, everybody wants to make money out of you,... If you don't want to go to a museum or sth, you can make it in 1 day.

What is it with Americans and Venice? Italy has so many beautiful cities ... Why travel half around the globe to see world's biggest sewer? :shock:

As I've posted before ... 3 days is too much for one city if you want to see major sights only. If you want to check out the museums & other less known locations, you need at least 5 days. And if you want to feel the city, you need more than a month.

ok now i found out since i'm already buying a eurail pass in germany that I get a discount on a train tik from berlin/frankfurt to amsterdam costing a total of...11 dollars lol and i'm serious. Germany I think we are going to berlin, frankfurt, leipzig or however u spell it and maybe some other places. We're just going to buy a train ticket and hop around everywhere. Avanti, i'm not going to Italy...I've already been there. Like every single city that most people tell you to go: Rome, Florence, Milan, bunch of other places but I can't remember. Also, there is something about Americans and Venice because all these people that I know say Venice is the most romantic place in the world but they haven't even been there, while I tell them it smells like shit the whole time and they somehow think I'm wrong...But yeah still trying to decide between London and Amsterdam. A lot of americans that have been there say Amsterdam is way more fun and I realized if I do end up living on the east coast of the USA then it'll be really easy to go to London so I can do that anytime of my life. But still taking recommendations because I've heard London is somewhere you have to go at least once in your life.

From a tourist point of view, I'd recommend London. I think it has way more interesting attractions. I personally don't like Amsterdam as a city. It's very crowded and very, very dirty. (not that London is much different in this respect, but still Amsterdam imho tops it, especially the red light district, which fyi is right in the city center, where you have to wear rubber boots) I also find Amsterdam rather dull and grey. Few nice channels etc, but dunno, somehow I never managed to find anything interesting there that would've caught my attention. If you want to experience something from the Netherlands, than visit something else, Utrecht is supposed to be really nice (never been there for a proper visit though), or just simply visit a smaller town, they are always much nicer and cleaner.

The only reason I'd say for going into Amsterdam rather than to London, is if you want to experience some of those things that are not legal elsewhere. :) But even for that, I wouldn't recommend Amsterdam, just because everyone goes there. And mainly those idiots that make quite a bad reputation for their country. People get drunk in the middle of the day, next to that they also get stoned, resulting in fights, using streets as public restrooms, glasses are flying, screaming and shouting etc, I personally really dislike that. And if you really wanna test drugs, chances are you will get some commercial crap. So even if you visit the Netherlands because of that, go elsewhere, don't go to the commercial crowded Amsterdam.

so would you guys recommend training it from germany to amsterdam or maybe just choosing a different destination, I will be there the last week of my trip

I would get a rental car and drive around a bit. You always find the best sights if you go out of the big citys. For instance if you drive down along the Rhine (river in Germany). There is a lot of nice castles and stuff to see.
Visiting just the big citys in Europe is a waste, should get in some of the countryside to. ;)

avanti said:
You have to come to Italy :D

definitely!

And, yes, 2 day in Venice are far enough, the city is awsome but it's not so big!

You can spend the extra-day and go on a daily trip in some small city nearby as Ravenna or Padua that are surely worth a visit!

pdanev said:
...I personally don't like Amsterdam as a city. It's very crowded and very, very dirty. (not that London is much different in this respect, but still Amsterdam imho tops it, especially the red light district, which fyi is right in the city center, where you have to wear rubber boots) I also find Amsterdam rather dull and grey. Few nice channels etc, but dunno, somehow I never managed to find anything interesting there that would've caught my attention...

Que?? I lived in Amsterdam for a year and absolutely loved it!! rpobably my favourite city in the world, I wouldn't mind returning there at all. It certailny is not a dirty city and the red light district is definitely a clean place! There are cops everywhere there. And during the summer its friggin beautifull! No question about it.

Red light district clean? Are you kidding me???

How can it be clean, when the toilets look like the following: shaped like a snail, metal plate covering just the area so that others dont see your thing, and you pee in the middle of the goddamn street! The smell from that is carried by the wind for miles. Oh, and FYI, this is the more "conservative" type of toilet. Of course theres the box type one, with 4 pissoir's on each side, also in the middle of the street. And of course since there are far more people/tourists than the capacity of those toilets, some people just take their sausage out, stand next to a tree/wall, whatever they like...

Not to mention days like carneval, queen's day etc, when you are walking in pee up till your knees , broken classes and bottles everywhere, etc.

I'm sorry, Amsterdam, especially the red light district, is anything but clean!!! Maybe outskirt areas, or neighbourhoods outside the citycentre are clean, that I don't know, never been to such places there.

Policeman are there to keep stupid drunk tourists from making trouble, they are not there to pick up the mess and clean the streets. Cops have nothing to do with how clean/dirty the city is.

You must've been pretty stoned all year long to think that the Red light district is clean. :p