Ownership Verified: Trifecta complete: 1988 Toyota MR2 with 2004 Celica GT-S engine/transmission swap

True that. There's enough room in there to swap the wheels without moving the car around.

I used to drive a Spyder as my year-round car, but I've only ever had one MR2 at a time, though I occasionally think of getting another Spyder as a daily driver. My Saab 9000 is my daily and will continue to take that role this winter, though oddly it's the only one of my cars that doesn't have its snow tires on yet.

That's still around, and not completely dormant for the winter; I'll use it occasionally. Throttle still sticks so I'll address that on a warm weekend.

Nice car, I approve. My buddy had 2 1985's both white that we tinkered with. Love those MkI MR2's! Just not dealing with the timing on the original motor LOL.

Last edited:
Nice car, I approve. My buddy had 2 1985's both white that we tinkered with. Love those MkI MR2's! Just not dealing doth the timing on the original motor LOL.
Yeah no kidding, those engine bays were crammed tight! Thankfully this 2ZZ runs a timing chain.

Yeah no kidding, those engine bays were crammed tight! Thankfully this 2ZZ runs a timing chain.

Gotta love my typo... Doth = with

That's great to hear the timing isn't an issue with that engine you've got there. We put a Monza exhaust on one of his and it sounded awesome--just about as good as yours. :)

It's aliiiiive!
CcVgHoYW8AIPO62.jpg

Wow I've missed this little car.

Storage tires off, summers on, and as of today 2/3 of the stabilized winter gas has been burned off.
CdcuS2mWIAAvOla.jpg

The_Night_Rider, was yours a bit twitchy at speeds above *cough* 70 MPH/110KM/H? Maybe it's my tires but this guy gets restless on the freeway.

I would look into alignment first? Unless you've had that done. Another thing is, if it has been on incorrect alignment for an extended period earlier the tires might have worn in a way to make it a bit twitchy.

I had my alignment checked before storing it, but it had been sitting for two months since then. I'm putting it away tonight before it rains so I'll have it checked next weekend.

Mine is fine on the motorway up to at least 140 km/h.

Storage tires off, summers on, and as of today 2/3 of the stabilized winter gas has been burned off.
The_Night_Rider, was yours a bit twitchy at speeds above *cough* 70 MPH/110KM/H? Maybe it's my tires but this guy gets restless on the freeway.

I hadn't done much driving on the motorway after I got the alignment done, and only drove it at around 90-100KM/H. It seemed fine, I would say it wandered around a little rather than twitchiness but nothing that seemed scary or unusual for such an old lightweight car.
I did go....reasonably fast.....on a straight stretch of back road, again nothing unusual jumped out at me.

This was after changing all four shocks and getting an alignment. Before alignment and shocks it was a death trap (rear toe was off by something like 20mm on one wheel lol).

Got an unlimited alignment plan for the car so that's sorted going forward. Also, fixed a really low clutch engagement point by finding out the locking nut on the adjuster rod had gone completely loose, and fixed bogging and low power by replacing my hackjob short ram air intake with something closer to stock. Now that it's working properly, what should I happen to find but another Mk1!

TWINSIES!