Ownership Verified: Trifecta complete: 1988 Toyota MR2 with 2004 Celica GT-S engine/transmission swap

Hehe, if only; it's just one I saw in somebody's driveway on my way to work. Believe me, if I had the room I would become a hoarder for sure.

I can confirm that the rev limiter lets me go all the way to 8,500 :mrgreen:

You must spread some Revolutions around before getting it to redliner again.

Nah, just come over anytime you want.

:lol:

For that I can just stand on top of the Saab.

Not-news: Toyota has high miles.
ClefCKnWMAAQiRY.jpg

Oh look:

13537629_10154790389296416_1775634035524462721_n.jpg

We've covered this before. Volvos may have a lot of reliability issues, but the whiteblock 5-cylinder engine itself isn't one of them ;)

Your Volvo white knighting is getting tiresome. Sure, the 5-cylinder might not be unreliable by modern standards, but comparing it to the Toyota 1ZZ? Don't make me laugh.

I would look into alignment first? Unless you've had that done. Another thing is, if it has been on incorrect alignment for an extended period earlier the tires might have worn in a way to make it a bit twitchy.

Mine is fine on the motorway up to at least 140 km/h.
Well well well, as it turns out a seriously worn rear wheel bearing will really mess with handling. New bearing, hub, and alignment, and it no longer drives like a paranoid crab.

Your Volvo white knighting is getting tiresome. Sure, the 5-cylinder might not be unreliable by modern standards, but comparing it to the Toyota 1ZZ? Don't make me laugh.

If everyone wouldn't take every opertune moment to shit on Volvo, maybe he'd not have to?

And those MRSes ain't exactly quick, so someone put a more powerful engine in.
Though i'd worry more about the weight balance of the car now, i'd think the 5cyl is heavier and might ruin the balance of the car?

Last edited:
If everyone wouldn't take every opertune moment to shit on Volvo, maybe he'd not have to?

And those MRSes ain't exactly quick, so someone put a more powerful engine in.
Though i'd worry more about the weight balance of the car now, i'd think the 5cyl is heavier and might ruin the balance of the car?

The MRS is kind of a Mid-engined Miata. It is not supposed to be quick.

The MRS is kind of a Mid-engined Miata. It is not supposed to be quick.

Yeah, more about the balance i assume? so.. bigger engine would ruin that, no?