Trio Ethnic Backgound

Tranquillizer

Car(s)
Holden Statesman WH V8 GEN III
while looking at the detail information on their bios on wiki, i have come across a question.
what is the ethnic background of Clarkson, Hammond and May. are they all purly britishers or is there any mix up some where.

We are a bit of a "Mongrel Nation" (also the title of a Discovery show presented by Eddie Izzard examing the racial heritage of this Sceptred Isle). They might appear to be your average white Anglo-Saxons, but I'm sure analysis of their respective DNA would reveal all sorts of genes in the mix. All we need is somone to get samples at one of the show recordings, and for another Final Gear member to work in the right kind of lab to perform the relevant analysis.

Any volunteers?

I think you'll find that James May has already had one of these heritage DNA tests for James May's 20th Century during Episode 3 - Body Fantastic.

Can't remember the results but I think there was a hint of European in there..

^ Well when you get any further than great grandparents or so, you can find pretty much anything. Its not uncommon to have some ancestors in far away places of the world, that you would never even think of associating with your family.

I think you'll find that James May has already had one of these heritage DNA tests for James May's 20th Century during Episode 3 - Body Fantastic.

Can't remember the results but I think there was a hint of European in there..

You are right - they traced his ancestors back to Germany, much to his surprise :lol:

Personally I would have guessed German so I wasn't surprised when it came back as German on James.

I suspect Viking for Jeremy. Maybe Richard too.

Well if you are going to go that far back skylock, then the English as a whole are primarily descended from Angles, Saxons and Jutes, which were sort of like semi-Vikings. Most northerners (Jeremy is from Yorkshire isn't he?) are descended from Anglo-Saxons and Danes (vikings). The actual "Britons" (a celtic race) were pushed into Wales and Cornwall when the Angles, Saxons and Jutes invaded, so your average modern Englishman has very little (if any) Celtic blood in them.

does not make any difference, just cant kill time, cant wait for next season to start, i am tired of watching all the seasons again ans again. so thought of educating my self with more information.

does it mean that Clarkson and Hammond are pure britishers and May is not????

Last edited:
I think Jezza has a bit of Rasta blood in there somewhere. I mean, if you look at his Afro from when he was younger......

And Captain Slow's hair makes him look like a Spaniel.

And the Hamster's stature suggests he might have his origins in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Stig? Ancestors may have stopped off in the States about 60 years ago, Ros-somewhere or other 'though it's likely to be classified. Turns cows inside out in his spare time. Probably.

does not make any difference, just cant kill time, cant wait for next season to stop, i am tired of watching all the seasons again ans again. so thought of educating my self with more information.

For this reason alone, I can't wait for American Top Gear to come out.

[...]are ppl here only allowed to discuss or start threads on what you care about?
Other way round, can?t I speak my mind if I think a topic is just ridiculous and pointless? Surely, you can talk about everything ... but I tend to think, you should limit it to the stuff worth talking about. Otherwise it?s just blablabla and the real discussion-worthy stuff just perishes under all the nonsense. If you want blablabla ... go chat :p
IMO. :bunny:

Well if you are going to go that far back skylock, then the English as a whole are primarily descended from Angles, Saxons and Jutes, which were sort of like semi-Vikings. Most northerners (Jeremy is from Yorkshire isn't he?) are descended from Anglo-Saxons and Danes (vikings). The actual "Britons" (a celtic race) were pushed into Wales and Cornwall when the Angles, Saxons and Jutes invaded, so your average modern Englishman has very little (if any) Celtic blood in them.

Celts? You mean those other central European bastards? Remember that the Italians lived here for long enough to have some genetic impact and after the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Danes had tried to carve the place up one of their cousins came over from Northern France to show them how it should be done. William the Bastard dragged his half-french Northmen over the channel to kick in the Dane shagging Godwinson who was tired from having a ruck with some distant relative from Norway at Stamford Bridge.