Trip Recommendations?

lben

Car(s)
e30 318is
In a week and a half I?m going to be at the World Cup Ski Race in Solden, Austria. Should be pretty awesome, but after that I?ve got two days to drive around in a rental car and I don?t completely know where I?m going, just that I have to be back in Vienna on the morning of the third day.

My idea so far is to spend the first day just driving across the top of Italy, exploring, and then wind up somewhere near Lienz, Austria for the night (on a side note, does anyone know how much police care about people sleeping in their cars??). Next morning I?d be heading off for the Grossglockner Toll Road and spend the day just driving that / going for quick walks at various viewpoints. At night I?d do the four hour drive back to Vienna.

My question is to anyone who knows this area, is there anything I?m missing? Is the Toll Road worth it? Any recommendations that people think would be better?

Feel free to PM as well if you want.

What do you want to see/your interest - mountains or history or misc....
Maybe we can recommend something than.
The Grossglockner is definatly worth a visit. Salzburg is not too far and could be very pleasent...

Re: Trip Recommendations?

lben said:
My idea so far is to spend the first day just driving across the top of Italy, exploring, and then wind up somewhere near Lienz, Austria for the night (on a side note, does anyone know how much police care about people sleeping in their cars??). Next morning I?d be heading off for the Grossglockner Toll Road and spend the day just driving that / going for quick walks at various viewpoints. At night I?d do the four hour drive back to Vienna.

The Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is awesome! I drove it two years ago, unfortunately it was a little bit foggy on that day so the panoramic view wasn't that impressing. You might like to take a look at the glacier at the Grossglockner, there's a path going down to it from a parking area, takes 30 Min down and 45 Min up again as far as I remember. :)

Before you go there: be aware that the toll for entering was 26 Euros in 2004, so that'll be the minimum you'll pay as well! Also check if the road's still opened - they usually deny access once the first snow has fallen. (Don't know where to check that exactly, perhaps there's a tourist information page for the region around the Grossglockner listing that information as well!)

Thanks- I e-mailed and got a response back that the closing date (if there isn't any snow) is November fifth. I also noted the 26 euro fee to get in- not cheap! The glacer walk sounds good. Thanks for the info.

The stuff I'd definitely like to do is outdoor/short hiking type activity in the mouintains. Also, since I've got a car, I'd be interested in doing some back road exploring (I really miss dirt roads from the US). I've been in Vienna for the past two months so I'd like to get outside a bit more! I've already been to Salzburg and seen quite a bit- so that's pretty much off the list.