Trip to Australia

hokiethang

Car(s)
2007 Durango
I know we have a lot of native Australians on here, so I figured this is probably one of the better places to ask. A friend and I are thinking about planning a trip to Australia, probably around New Years. I'm initially planning for about a week, because that's about as much time as I can take off work.

What do the Australian natives suggest we see, do, eat, visit, etc...

I plan on starting in Sydney, and likely returning to the US from Sydney as well.

Thanks for the help.

I know we have a lot of native Australians on here, so I figured this is probably one of the better places to ask. A friend and I are thinking about planning a trip to Australia, probably around New Years. I'm initially planning for about a week, because that's about as much time as I can take off work.

What do the Australian natives suggest we see, do, eat, visit, etc...

I plan on starting in Sydney, and likely returning to the US from Sydney as well.

Thanks for the help.

Given that you only have a week I wouldn't bother venturing much out of Sydney (even though Melbourne is much nicer ;) ) because you would just lose too much time travelling between the capitals (Melbourne is 900km away, Brisbane is 1000km away, canberra nobody really cares how far that is away and the rest are even further)

Obviously the tourist sorts of things you probably should go to, eg Sydney Opera House and walk along the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The rocks used to be good in Sydney but from memory it's just a tourist trap these days (a sydneysider can probably tell you better) if beachs are your thing, look at hopping on a train and heading down to wollongong they tend to have nicer less populated beachs (eg not filled with tourists)

^also in Sydney, make sure you do the Sydney Bridge climb, you actually get to walk across the bridge (not where the cars go but the metal framework that supports the bridge), one hell of an experience. But tbh, Melbourne is a much better tourist place compared to Sydney.

But as hidden_hunter said, its just not worth spending half a day travelling each way if you only have 1 week.

TBH with you, I wouldn't even bother coming over if it's only for a week.

You're paying all this money in airfares but you only get to see one city for one week? Australia's a bloody big country and there's so much to do here you really need more than one week in which to do it all.

TBH with you, I wouldn't even bother coming over if it's only for a week.

You're paying all this money in airfares but you only get to see one city for one week? Australia's a bloody big country and there's so much to do here you really need more than one week in which to do it all.

This is just the first of many trips. I typically can't take longer than a week off work at any one time, so my trips have to be shorter, even for going such a long distance.

The main reason for this trip is to see the Sydney harbor fireworks on New Years. Maybe they're a little overrated, but i've always wanted to see them, and to be one of the first to welcome the New Year. :-D

As for other locations in the country, I am open to the idea of taking a domestic flight to do more, if there's not much to do in Sydney.

Australia has more than one city? I thought there was just one, on top of that big rock with the strange house that looks like sails. You know, where there Crocodile Hunter lived.

This is just the first of many trips. I typically can't take longer than a week off work at any one time, so my trips have to be shorter, even for going such a long distance.

The main reason for this trip is to see the Sydney harbor fireworks on New Years. Maybe they're a little overrated, but i've always wanted to see them, and to be one of the first to welcome the New Year. :-D

As for other locations in the country, I am open to the idea of taking a domestic flight to do more, if there's not much to do in Sydney.

Well, that's fair enough I guess. Those fireworks are pretty spectacular. I suppose if you think you have the time there are dirt cheap flights from Sydney to either Melbourne or Brisbane, so if you were willing to lock in dates right now, you'd get a bargain.

It's only an hour's flight to either city, so not too much in the scheme of things.

Australia has more than one city? I thought there was just one, on top of that big rock with the strange house that looks like sails. You know, where there Crocodile Hunter lived.

He also used that big bit of water around his house as a sort of moat. Filled with sharks, crocodiles and man eating Platupii. Rumour has it that they're still there.

Avoid wild eyed locals named Hamish.

Yeah, they'll take you out on the town and make sure you don't remember a thing!

Not that far away and plenty to see here.

Yeah, like where our taxes go......only joking dude. Ive been there and its fairly nice

Seriously, you need more time down here. The summer months are best though

Last edited:
I suggest spending time away from Sydney on day trips. Hire yourself a nice sportscar and go down the South Coast (eg; the Illawarra) where there are some terrific roads, loads of beaches and nice places to eat. If you or your friend like wine - go up the North Coast (eg; the Hunter Valley) where some of the worlds best wine is. Again - nice roads getting there and you'll be back by sundown, if thats what you want.
Just a thought...

Obviously, shop in the CBD. Although theres only so much of that most people can take...
Enjoy some Aussie beers. I'll save you the effort and suggest a few ;)
And laugh at our stupid motorway system which does not work :rolleyes:
^also in Sydney, make sure you do the Sydney Bridge climb, you actually get to walk across the bridge (not where the cars go but the metal framework that supports the bridge), one hell of an experience.
:+1:

Definately give that a shot! It sounds amazing! I haven't done it myself though...it just seems like such a touristy thing to do :dunno: I wanna become a tourist :mrgreen:

^also in Sydney, make sure you do the Sydney Bridge climb, you actually get to walk across the bridge (not where the cars go but the metal framework that supports the bridge), one hell of an experience.
Definately give that a shot! It sounds amazing! I haven't done it myself though...it just seems like such a touristy thing to do :dunno: I wanna become a tourist :mrgreen:

It is amazing, I did it when I was there over 5 years ago. Oh and I'm totally scared of heights and I did fine, only scary bit was the bit at the very top :|

I can't remember if it was the zoo or aquarium that was best in Sydney, I was told to go to one of them in Sydney and the other one in Melbourne, but now I can't remember. You need to see koalas and wallabies they're sooooo cute :wub:

It is amazing, I did it when I was there over 5 years ago. Oh and I'm totally scared of heights and I did fine, only scary bit was the bit at the very top :|

I can't remember if it was the zoo or aquarium that was best in Sydney, I was told to go to one of them in Sydney and the other one in Melbourne, but now I can't remember. You need to see koalas and wallabies they're sooooo cute :wub:

Both the Melbourne Zoo and Aquarium are superior to the ones in Sydney when you were here that might not of been the case as the Aquarium is/was relatively new.

Both the Melbourne Zoo and Aquarium are superior to the ones in Sydney when you were here that might not of been the case as the Aquarium is/was relatively new.

And Melbourne (well, a bit of a drive away) has the Werribee open range zoo. Not too much Australian flavour but there's stacks of African critters and you get up really close to them. It's pretty cool.

I hate to dredge up old threads, but I felt it was appropriate, since this time I have tickets in hand to go. August 6th - 10th, 2010 (yes, 4 days in Sydney, all I could swing, with such short notice). Plane tickets from the US are cheap now, and a friend of mine will be there at the same time. Any updates to the suggestions above?

Mate, with 4 days I'd be just trying to see as much in Syndey Town as I could. You could do a day trip to the Blue Mountains, but it knocks a complete day off. The bridge walk would be good, but book ahead. Centrepoint tower is abit meh. Oxford Street for the culture shock, hell the whole Kings Cross hehe. You could do the zoo, but I didn't like it.

Find a nice pub and immerse yourself with the locals. I hate rushing around on holidays as I don't really feel it's a holiday if I do.

Last edited:
I really liked the zoo...they've done it up a bit and it's lovely now. Plus you get that stunning view across the harbour.

Whoa you're right...maybe I need to plan a trip for this summer. :think: Right around $1100 round trip for a flight in July from DFW.

$1100 is a bit high... I booked at $750 from BWI, which is down from $1600 last time I looked.

The plan for this trip is to just visit Sydney, as 4 days doesn't give much time to do any wider sightseeing.

I like the idea behind checking into a local pub and hanging out with the locals, any tips on finding one that's welcoming to foreigners? :-D. I'd love some places with great views, since I want some great pictures, and the bridge climb is on the list of things I want to do. IIRC August is Winter down under, so what should I expect weatherwise in Sydney?

I want to see koalas and kangaroos, I know they won't be wild in Sydney, but as long as the zoo has them, it'll qualify until I can get back and take a longer trip further out of town.

Last edited: