trip to california 1=formula drift round4 MORE ADDED

Thrasher

Car(s)
1976 BMW 2002
Part one of my weeklong trip down to Infineon Raceway to stay with my uncle who owns a shop at the track and does fabrication/welding for customers and race teams (will post racing photos later)

I was not aware of the formula drift event until a few days before it and was able to change my plane ticket to see the friday practice and qualifying. IT was great, even just the practice was pretty incredible

Anyway, onto the pics

First of all, got my media pass, It took a bit of quick thinking and convincing them that I was a "working member" of a real "media publication" ;) ;)
DSC_8889.jpg

DSC_8522.jpg

DSC_8395.jpg

Not sure what kind of car this is but it had a crazy turbo engine and what a lovely sound it made. The turbo was louder than the engine.
DSC_8496.jpg

DSC_8511.jpg

Nissan 240 + Pontiac TransAm
DSC_8561.jpg

This Camaro was a beast and it had some insane motor which drowned out every other car out there
DSC_8586.jpg

DSC_8589.jpg

Chevy V8 powered RX7
DSC_8423.jpg

DSC_8494.jpg

DSC_8759.jpg

DSC_8761.jpg

DSC_8850.jpg

DSC_8920.jpg

DSC_8922.jpg

I never knew these skyline engines made such a good sound
DSC_8912.jpg

DSC_8955.jpg

Thrasher you were there?!?!??!?! I WAS THERE TOO!!!

I stayed until 4pm cause it got boring as hell for me.

How did you manage to convince them btw? i wanna learn.

After the show, I and a bunch of people i know went to fairfax - bolinas rd to drive that 20 min of hairpins/mountain course. then headed back to san francisco.

Re: Trip to california part1= Formula Drift round4

Thrasher said:
First of all, got my media pass, It took a bit of quick thinking and convincing them that I was a "working member" of a real "media publication" ;) ;)

Hehe, same here. Last two weekends I was taking photos for a site (www.bmwpower.hu). First a hillclimb (I have posted here some of the photos), than the II Hungarian Driftday (I was gonna put up some pics of that to, but I only got a few reply's for the hillclimb, so I'm not gonna bother me self), and that was the exact thing that I was thinking about :) .

BTW you got some decent photos m8! :thumbsup:

mancs said:
Thrasher said:

Hehe, same here. Last two weekends I was taking photos for a site (www.bmwpower.hu). First a hillclimb (I have posted here some of the photos), than the II Hungarian Driftday (I was gonna put up some pics of that to, but I only got a few reply's for the hillclimb, so I'm not gonna bother me self), and that was the exact thing that I was thinking about :) .

I told them I was doing a story for my "school newspaper". Then they asked my age and I said 18. Then they asked to see some identification. I was about to pull out my license but then remembered that it would say that I would actually turn 18 in 2 years, so I replied that I had left my wallet back home.

I thought American cars cannot do ze dorifto! :roll: (how many times have I heard that from ignorant jackanapes...)

Anyway, I love the sound of a Nissan straight 6. Though differing slightly, they all, no matter the year, have this Nissan...wail to them, know what I mean? :)

Great pictures! :thumbsup:

Good photos. Nice seeing some American muscle represented. Are there any videos of the event?

yeah i took some videos which i need to edit up a little bit. Also, the TV channel G4 (formerly TechTV) covers the formula Drift events. This event will be on next weekend on G4

Sweet, dude! :D

Very nice pictures. :thumbsup:

And the answer to your question, if I'm not wrong, would be a toyota chaser. Chasis code JZX.

Its a JZX100, For any of ye who have seen HPI Volume 9, you will probably remember the in-car segment with Tezuka in JZX81 .... :woot: :woot:

Is it just me or do the shots look underexposed ? I absolutely love the last shot of the signal Auto R34 ... :thumbsup:

thrasher, where is the drifting SRT?

THat car was sooooooooooo loud it was heaven!

Cosworth said:
Its a JZX100, For any of ye who have seen HPI Volume 9, you will probably remember the in-car segment with Tezuka in JZX81 .... :woot: :woot:

Is it just me or do the shots look underexposed ? I absolutely love the last shot of the signal Auto R34 ... :thumbsup:

maybe I will have to check out that vid, I love the sound of that car.

yes the shots are a little underexposed. My camera seems to be overexposing everything lately so I have to dial in a -1 correction. Sometimes, this doesn't work out exactly and the photo comes out a bit dark. I didn't do much editing to correct this so the shots are a bit dark. The last two I purposely made dark

urg thrasher, you didn't acknowledge my post so I'll just post a pic of the SRT here.

http://img328.imageshack.**/img328/2113/vipersrtdrifting5mj.jpg

Thrasher said:
Cosworth said:

maybe I will have to check out that vid, I love the sound of that car.

yes the shots are a little underexposed. My camera seems to be overexposing everything lately so I have to dial in a -1 correction. Sometimes, this doesn't work out exactly and the photo comes out a bit dark. I didn't do much editing to correct this so the shots are a bit dark. The last two I purposely made dark

Can you underexpose in increments of 1/3 or is just stop by stop ? It's miiiiles better to underexpose than over expose because you keep the detail and can always brighten it up :)

no I can do 1/2 and 1/3 stops. I usually do 1 though just like you said to make sure not to over expose it. I'm not sure whether it was just the lighting conditions with bright grass/sky and the dark road/cars that was fooling the meteor something else

ooo a rally. Too bad none are even close to me. I should go down to Leguna Seca one day to watch a race. THough i'd need a 400mm lens by then.

yeah I look in my gallery for shots of the rally I went to a while ago. Not many here in the U.S. I made a thread for the pics while ago but not sure
if the links still work so check the gallery.

I really want to go to Laguna sometime. I doubt that you'd "need" a 400mm, All of my shots are with my 300mm lens which often times is a little much but yes a 400 might be nice sometimes, but probably not for much panning though, but then again i've never to laguna to see whether longer lens is really needed