Triumph Herald Yacht Birthday Cake

Wyvern

Car(s)
Triumph Herald 1200, in need of arse transplant
A few of you might have seen this before, but I just realised I never posted it here, and since we've had other recreations of challenge vehicles on here, I thought you might like to see mine.

A few weeks ago my housemate turned 50. She's a big fan of Top Gear (in fact, that's how I ended up renting her spare room - we got chatting online and neither of us turned out to be axe murderers or people who own large collections of Ferrari leisurewear, so when I needed somewhere to live, it worked out pretty well) and particularly of James May, and when I got tasked with creating a cake for her birthday party, I knew what the theme would be. I worked though and rejected several options - the Reliant Space Shuttle came a close second - but I settled on the Herald yacht. This was partly because it was instantly recognisable, but also because I have the same model Herald, so I had plenty of reference material! It was a bit daunting, but I did spend a couple of weeks sculpting on the Plasticine garden, so I thought I'd be up to the job (or rather, her boyfriend did).

I started out with this:

IMG_2833.jpg

That's a very large chocolate genoese cake.

I stuck it all together with chocolate frosting and carved the basic shape until it looked like this:

IMG_2839.jpg

Then I covered it in icing, adding details with different coloured sugar pastes and edible paint, until I ended up with this:

IMG_2843.jpg

It took around ten hours of sculpting and detailing to get to this stage, at which point I decided to go to bed.

On the day of the party, I built the sail out of wooden dowel and an old Sainsbury's bag. I didn't install it until the cake was safely in place at the party, and I haven't been that nervous in ages - I was terrified that it was going to overbalance, or it wouldn't stand up straight, or that I'd make a mess of inserting it into the cake, because I'd only get one shot. I also added a couple of other details, like the red ensign flying from the back end (or should I say 'stern' by now?) and the rudder. And this was the end result:

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

It went down extremely well, though I admit I hid when it was cut. However... NEVER AGAIN!

10 hours well spent mate, it looks fan-gore-bleedin-gous-tastic. :)

Bloody spectacular. :+1: Please tell me you were going to send some pics into TG?

Well, that was unexpected! I was at a car show today and as I was looking around, my phone suddenly went bonkers - I didn't see it until I got home. It was the cherry on a lovely cake of a day, if you'll excuse the expression :lol:

Thanks for all the lovely compliments - I'm glad people have enjoyed seeing it. The partygoers enjoyed eating it too!

Oh, and Top Gear, if you're reading, I'm always open to new commissions ;) (just not that one again, please...)

Btw, as for the f*sh thing, it's a bit random but here goes: My housemate separated meat, fish and veggie food at her birthday party and put signs up to show what was where. However, she's pescaphobic, and all things considered, that she allowed any fish through the door was surprising - but she couldn't bear to write 'fish' on the sign, so she wrote 'f*sh' instead :)

Last edited:
Yay for being blogged, Wy! :)

Oh dear...that blog post states that the real Herald yacht was used in series 9, but it was in fact used in series' 8 and 10. :(

Oh well, amazing job on the cake! :thumbsup:

:may: Cake making. REALLY boring!!!

;)

Last edited:
Oh wow, Wy, I hadnt seen the pics yet of how you made the pie, uhm cake! :O It looks very interesting, very arty and sooooooo good on your for being on the TG website with it!! :D

Oh dear...that blog post states that the real Herald yacht was used in series 9, but it was in fact used in series' 8 and 10.

Don't worry, I expect he's been "persuaded" to do the decent thing - for the good of the Regiment and all that. His personal effects will be quietly disposed of and his name never mentioned in the officers' mess again.

It's the British way.

Edit: Oooh... Cake!

It's BRILLIANT \o/ I was so excited to see it on the website. Very well deserved :)

Last edited:
I want a piece of cake now. Well done.

Wyvern, you are officially awesome in my book .. but I'd like to have seen a picture of a slice of it on a plate .... maybe a front quarter panel.

You're all lovely :) I'm really glad people liked it, but I can't quite believe how well it's gone down with t'Interwebz :lol:

Wyvern, you are officially awesome in my book .. but I'd like to have seen a picture of a slice of it on a plate .... maybe a front quarter panel.

Funnily enough, when it was cut, I was presented with a front corner, complete with gumpaste headlight and jelly indicator, but I was too busy eating it to think of taking a photo. Mind you, I was hiding outside rather than watch her cut it up because I'm a big wuss... I have a picture of all the offcuts on a plate from the original carving somewhere, but that's not really very exciting ;)