trying to remove a bolt that seems to be stuck

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
trying to replace the headlamps on my car.

on the focus there are 3 bolts securing the lamps two up top and one down below. on the driver side, the bolt that screws into the wing (well subframe that makes up the wing) will not come out.

it rotates around almost freely. but it wont screw in or out when you turn it. it just spins. how can i get this out?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/macmason/driverside.jpg

Last edited:
Use tons of PB Blast, and if you can, soak it for about 3 days. It will come right out.

I'm not sure if I get the problem, is the thread gone or why does it turn?
Any pics maybe?

a pic would help, but if it's going into the subframe there should be a captive nut welded to the inside of the frame. So ethier that wasn't attached proper and is just spinning around or a thread has gone somewhere.

My approach would be to gets some pliers/molegrips and try and just pull it out, failing that you may need to drill it out or cut the head off the bolt.

As I said picture would be really helpful.

a pic would help, but if it's going into the subframe there should be a captive nut welded to the inside of the frame. So ethier that wasn't attached proper and is just spinning around or a thread has gone somewhere.

My approach would be to gets some pliers/molegrips and try and just pull it out, failing that you may need to drill it out or cut the head off the bolt.

As I said picture would be really helpful.

ill try get a pic today,

the same bolt on the other light comes right out. looks like it screws into a kind of platic/rubber sleeve that sits over and in the hole. i cant check behind to see if there is a captive nut or anything.

^when turning it with a wrench, try to fiddle a screwdriver under the bolt or the plastic

I think that you may be stuck with the drill out or head-off options IMHO. Anyway stick some penetrating oil on the thing and leave for a day of so, then try again.

im gonna try see if i can get under the car and with a torch see if i can see the back of that bolt. see whats what.

ill try levering it whill screwing too, might get something to catch.

how about taking the whole front wing off?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/macmason/701991a3-4f74-48f2-ad9b-37f912906666.jpg

i plan on fitting those headlamps, from the ST170 i think.

im trying to find those coloured strips too to replace the standard black ones on my car, but i think they only come with new bumpers n doors!

will go for the ST170 style fog's as well, just as soon as i can either find a pair on ebay or see a wrecked ST170 in the scrappy.

Last edited:
Good luck with the project, how about planning some performance enhancements to go with ST170 look?

nah, its only a 1.4, and while it could do with some more umph i kinda like how it is now. with my insurance still being rather high, performance enhancers are kinda out of the question. cosmetics are fine though.

i'll be sorting out the rear indicators with LED's as well i think. already covered the brake lights with LED replacements.

i need some focus Alloys too, just need to get lucky on flea bay because most people only do a pick up only sale.

That looks to be a body screw to me... either turn it while pulling up (with vise grips or something similar) or get a screwdriver under it and apply upward pressure while turning it with a wrench or socket.

Those are usually going into either a crappy insert or a slot in the fender itself, and they are pretty easy to get wrong if you are not careful.

just had a poster comment on another forum that there appears to be overspray on one side of my car.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/macmason/passengerside.jpg <-passenger side, which is fine and suspiciously has a newer nut
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/macmason/driverside.jpg <- drivers side, offending nut, which looks 4 years old like it should.

he commented that there was overspray on one side and not on the other. i have always maintained since a few months back, that this car has been in a prang, repaired half-assed on the side, and then never mentioned again. i already have a list of ailments that back this up and if this overspray one is true, thats another.

If it's had a prang perhaps its time to cut losses and replace?

can you tell from the pics if its been resprayed or whatever that nut job was on about? i cant

Last edited: