Tuning Fork in the Brain - shad's XT600

Sweet find on those crashbars! The SW motech crashbars I ordered for my bike last November are still on backorder.<_<

That sucks, probably delayed because of the holidays as well.

Oh, and I really dig the Blaro inspired Keychain!

I've also got emperor Palpatine for my car keys, and a stormtrooper for my house keys. :D

Still looks huge! But better than before. What about the mounting "plate", looks a bit weird with a half-circle sticking out on each side...

Yeah, I'll see what I can do about that, look around for other plate holders. I don't really want to spend a lot for something stupid like a plate holder though.

Yeah, I'll see what I can do about that, look around for other plate holders. I don't really want to spend a lot for something stupid like a plate holder though.

1810PS.jpg

?

kennzvgll43sx.jpg

How is the license plate attached? I don see any holes in it.

How about buying a plate mount from a North American bike? They're probably slimmer.

How about buying a plate mount from a North American bike? They're probably slimmer.
I like avanti's approach better as it includes an angle grinder.

I don't think there are different ones for NA. That's already an aftermarket mount on my bike. Here's a good view of the original rear end.

Most unscrewed plates here are attached with DST, they hold up as good as anything and are weatherproof

Did a bit of maintenance today: oil change, new air filter and new spark plug. Everything went smooth as silk, only swapping the new spark plug in was a bit fiddly since it's nestled in the cylinder head so you can't really see the hole, and the frame and other stuff getting in the way. The factory manual says to remove the tank, but I only took off some panels on the right side (which had to come off for the air filter anyway) and used a special spark plug socket for XTs and related models, which has the exact length you need to clear the head but isn't too big for the small space. At not even 4? a sensible investment, I think. :)

When I was done I decided to at least give the chain a once over with chain cleaner and a rag since it hasn't been cleaned for some time. When I wanted to reapply some chain lube, I found that the can of chain lube was dry. <_<
My dad must've used it up... which is kind of an improvement, I guess, because he previously didn't lube the chain on the YBR at all. It got to the point where the chain links were so cacked up in crud that they formed rigid sections and the chain had to be replaced.
I just wish he'd replace stuff when he's used it up, or at least tell me. I could've gotten some new lube together with the wear items...

I also realised that I've done barely more than 2000km with XT in the year that I've owned it. Related to that, the next item on the agenda is somehow upgrading the seat so it's not quite as painful on longer rides.

Last edited:
What is this? A two year bump? Yup, certainly is!

So after I recently realised that the XT is overdue for T?V and needs new tires I had a look around to see what's the best / cheapest way to get that done. A nearby garage wanted 220? for tires + mounting, and a nearby tire place wants around 160?, but I'd have to take the wheels off myself and bring them there.
You can read about my wheel dismounting related shenanigans in the general moto thread.
Or if you're too lazy, the tl;dr:
The best solution I found is a coke crate, some cheap wood, and stonking huge zip ties. Oh yeah.
2014-04-03_19.45.24.jpg

And today I went to work to get wheels off, took about 45 minutes with the help of my dad and taking some time to figure out how to proceed. So not too bad.
Here's some pics, first before:
2014-04-06_11.26.05.jpg

2014-04-06_11.26.55.jpg

And after:

2014-04-06_12.11.08.jpg

2014-04-06_12.11.47.jpg

New tires took a few days longer than expected, since I forgot to order them with new tubes. So those had to be ordered before the tires could be mounted. No problems apart from that though. And holy shit, I thought the old tires were still ok apart from the tread depth, but when I did the first ride with the new ones it felt like they were made of glue.

Anyway, went to get my T?V renewed, which went well. Except for the fact that the original examiner had to call somebody else to take over because she was too short for the bike. :p And some vertical play in the swingarm, which had to be fixed and then reexamined.

So over the past two weeks I took apart the swingarm in search for the play. Once again the crate stand came in handy. :p

2014-04-22_09.08.19.jpg

2014-04-22_09.09.07.jpg

Took everything apart and cleaned it, but couldn't really find a definite source for the play. But there's quite a few bushings in the relay arm, and each individual play in each bushing adds up and is of course exaggerated by the lever length at the end of the swingarm. Bushings etc. looked quite ok as well, except for one on the bottom of the relay arm that had some pitting in one spot. The local Yamaha garage recommended to leave that bushing in, because replacing it would be too much effort, and try to grease everything up properly. So I put everything back together and tried to apply the grease with a really crappy grease gun we had lying around, which led to one of the grease nipples shearing off.
Luckily I got the reamaining thread out by punching an allen wrench into the bore and just screwing it out. Since the original replacement nipples are like 5? each I simply got a full set of standard nipples for 6? off ebay, and ordered a proper Hazet grease gun.
Turns out the Yamaha nipples aren't exactly standard. This is the standard one:
0__rgb_72_183_228_fitProportional.jpg

One of the key differences is that the indentation between the main body and spherical head was much shorter on the original nipples, which meant that the mouth piece of the grease gun didn't seal properly and all the grease went out the sides and not through the valve. Luckily I could just replace all the old nipple with the new, standard ones, even though I only noticed once I had the swingarm put back together and mounted to the bike.

So anyways, greasing everything back up seems to have done the trick, almost no vertical play. However that is with the original bolt for the lower relay arm mount, where it attaches to the frame. You see, that's also the spot where the aftermarket center stand attaches, which comes with it's own bolt that's longer to accomodate the mounting plates of the stand. I first put everything back together without the stand, and it was fine. Then I tried to put the stand back on, put in the other bolt, greased it up, and noticed that there was considerably more play than with the original bolt. Still a lot less that initially, but definitely noticeablely more than with the original bolt.
So I've left the stand off for now, went to do the reexamination at the T?V and passed without problems.
I'll have to see what I'll do about the stand, I guess I'll call SW-Motech and explain the situation to them. Either their bolt has the wrong diameter, or it's been worn out already (which seems unlikely, imo).

Last edited:
After the last few trips I did with the XT the seat became truly unbearable after less than half an hour of riding. So I finally got off my ass and looked around for saddlers to rework my seat. Threads about this topic in XT-related forums were full of people saying they got theirs done for ~60?, but what I found at the saddler's that had prices available to look up was more like 150? or more. Originally I thought found that to be a bit too much, but then I rationalised that the terrible seat was effectively keeping me from using the bike more, so having that issue resolved would be worth quite a bit.
But then I found a saddler nearby that made an offer for new and firmer core foam in the front, together with a gel pad insert and a new seat cover. How much? 100?. Since I was already prepared to pay much more than that I immediately accepted. Picked the overhauled seat up today, but didn't get to test it yet. It does however look very nicely done, and feels much better than before.

2014-06-13_13.19.48.jpg

2014-06-13_13.25.59.jpg

So, uh, shortly after the last post I had some massive issues with the XT running like crap. Took apart the carb, found two screws suspiciously absent and proceeded to start taking the bike apart. Things kind of came to a halt before I got the valve cover off, and I only picked back up now with a lot of prodding and help from a friend.

Today we took off the cylinder head. And... well, I found the screws.

2015-10-22_18.00.45.jpg

2015-10-22_18.02.14.jpg

Yes.

Also my personal lesson learned from this? Loctite EVERYTHING!

At least you got some additional torx for your engine, all I got was some Allens. :lol:

Sorry, but :lol:
What are your plans now?

Sorry, but :lol:
What are your plans now?

Take out the jammed valve, check if it's bent and if there's any damage to the valve seat. Check the cylinder wall for damage. Clean up and smooth out the scuffs in the piston and head.

The cylinder wall didn't show any obvious damage, so that's good. If I'm lucky I could get away with just fixing the scuffs to get it back up and running again. If the valve's damaged that's not too bad either, a new valve is 20 bucks and the work to polish the seat. If the cylinder wall is damaged I'm looking at 70 bucks to have it redone and around 130-150 for a new piston kit.

So even the worst case scenario is not a terrible outcome?
Whew...