Tuning Fork in the Brain - shad's XT600

Yeah that's what I figure so far. I'm not discounting the possibility that I might be severely underestimating the damage, but right now it seems to be a lot better than you'd think and I had feared.

right now it seems to be a lot better than you'd think and I had feared.

Famous last words.

So back then, after I had finally put everything back together and started the bike up again for the first time it did start but kept spewing tons of smoke and generally ran like shit.

At that point I was incredibly frustrated. The whole process of troubleshooting and then repairing the bike had been such an odyssee, but always with the promise that if I finally got everything together again I would have fixed it all by myself. Instead it made me feel like a huge failure and like I had wasted my time. So I gave up and walked away.

It's been sitting like that, broken down in my parent's garage for the last six years as life moved on. And with it I also effectively gave up riding. Not as a conscious choice, but as a coincidental consequence.

Lately a friend has given me the riding bug again through sharing some F9 videos on youtube. So now my plan is to see if a nearby idependent garage that specializes in Yamahas would be willing to fix it up again if I throw enough money at them. I "just" need to get off my ass and do it.

I "just" need to get off my ass and do it.
And I did! Went to a local independent garage, iirc the guy used to be a Yamaha dealer/mechanic, good reviews. Described the situation to him, said he'd estimate at least a thousand euros for the repair. I already expected it to be around that order of magnitude, so that's fine. Said it would take until August until he's got enough free time in his schedule to really dig into it and penned me in for then. On the upside that means I got some time to figure out where to get a bike trailer and tow vehicle.

So not rapid progress, but hey. Things are moving.

That's good!

I got some time to figure out where to get a bike trailer and tow vehicle.
Perhaps the mechanic can fetch the bike from your parents' place, he probably has the equipment. It's only a 10 minute drive after all.

I already asked him about that, but he could only point me to a nearby trailer rental place. It's not too bad, a bike trailer can be rented for 20€ for a day.

PXL_20220729_141253815k.jpg

With the help of Danrom (and his dad's car) off it goes to the mechanic. Feels good to finally take care of an issue that's been sitting around for years.

I'm just now seeing that the rented trailer had a 68 on the licence plate. How fitting. :D