TV ads - how annoying are they where you live?

^ I saw a movie with something like that recently. Transporter 3?

Also the late Knight Rider series where every car is a brand shiny new ford that is as fast as supercar KITT, except for that one Chevy Suburban that got smashed.

ah yes, sometimes that sorta thing catches my eye too, that the bad guys and the good guys both drive the same brand of car, which is super new, extra shiny (as in IT HURTS! MY EYESSS!!! shiny), and everyone else drives a 30 yo piece of shit.

Also, the good guys always have a "regular" car that is able to keep up with a car that is VASTLY superior in handling, acceleration, everywhere

(See also : James Bond not being able to lose an Alfa 159 in an Aston DBS... Even the most powerful Alfa has 250ish hp, the least powerful Aston has 400 ish hp... does not compute)

Nobody have the system where a film starts at 2100, runs until 2155 and continues after 2230? It's indigenous to our largest domestic commercial channel TV4 which is the only commercial channel to show news. News are at 2200 hence the rather lenghty break. Commercial rivals tried to show news but their efforts were pathetic so they stopped alltogether.

What I think is more annoying is that subscription channels show ads. I never understood why I need to pay to view ads. I'll get back with how long the breaks are later this evening, at present (1434) they're only 2 minutes long but it's off-prime time.

Nobody have the system where a film starts at 2100, runs until 2155 and continues after 2230?

We do get that, but usually with talkshows or live programs, so they can sucker you into watching whatever's "inbetween" also. It works too!

It's also used a lot for shows where you can vote who is the best singer/dancer/talent/whatever, to give people the opportunity to vote (or so they say <_< )

Except for people like me who just record everything and then skip through the stuff you don't wanna watch in the first place.

Nobody have the system where a film starts at 2100, runs until 2155 and continues after 2230?

Yes, exactly same system with our MTV3 (not music tv). At least it used to be like that.

Otherwise ads here are not that annoying. Only thing that really pisses me is that volume goes through the roof every time there's a break.

edit: And it's also annoying when the program is meant to start at 2100 it actually starts at 2107.

Last edited:
Neat I didnt know that. MTV3 is sister channel with TV4 too.
Here is TV4's schedule for the next 20 minutes. Trailers in green, puffs in cyan, ads in yellow, programming in white, local advertisements in red. Combined breaks ~4,30 minutes long. It's a talkshow ending and Crossing Jordan starting.

2aj4do3.jpg

Scheduled programming that runs longer than their timeslot annoy me and my recordable DTV-box, some channels are hopeless. If you're not broadcasting any live programming ever it shouldnt be that hard to make sure your schedule is on schedule. I have to manually lengthen every recording I make on Kanal5 for example or I'll miss the ending. Trying to record Eurosport is always a gamble but at least they have obvious reasons for not following schedule. But I like that they keep their ads short. Sometimes extremely short.

The volume through the roof is interesting, a few years back all channels agreed to not do that and it got better but now I am again reaching for the remote when an ad break comes up. Sneaky bastards.

Last edited:
^it's pretty awesome you get an exact timetable for the ads though, We just get "program X from 2100 to 2230"

edit: And it's also annoying when the program is meant to start at 2100 it actually starts at 2107.

hell yes. I always add atleast 10 minutes to whatever I wanna record because of this...

A type of ad which gets on my nerves are Game ads where cgi is used instead of real game footage, I see them as really deceptive, annoying and only used to mask the fact that the game has such bad gfx that shelling out $$$ for a cgi sequence is worth more than actual ingame footage. I've never seen a good game need one, it is usually the really tacky shit like Need for speed #12132 or Star Wars: revenge of the ewoks #602 or some rubbishy shit.

And its completely legal in the UK as long as the creator adds "Not ingame Footage" in a really small font in the corner of the screen.

<_<

[size=-20]Also i'd really like to buy Revenge of the Ewoks if it exists...[/size]

^that is very true.
My eye is trained now to look for the "actual ingame footage" tag they use, usually that one is really big, unlike the microfont used for the "not ingame footage" one

thats very true. i also usually go with the "if it looks too good to be true..." principle. i don't see any point in it myself other than making the idiots of the country go "that footage looks so real. if i buy that game then everyone will like me." as the saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Thread resurrection... I'm too tired not to do this.

I don't mind product placement if it's subtle. For example, a character is eating cereal that just happens to be Kellogg's Corn Flakes. Doesn't really make a difference to me if the cereal was generic or a fake brand instead. But if the characters then start discussing the merits of Corn Flakes, it gets annoying.
Does anyone here follow "Bones"? Now, it's been apparent that Toyota does some product placement there for quite some time, BUT: Having the main character driving her co-protagonist around, telling him that the car is new and about how good this and that feature of the car is... that's pretty bad because it was the most obvious product placement I've ever seen. I won't mention what car it was for because... you should be able to conclude that for yourselves. And the character had a Mercedes SL before without the show making much of a fuss about it... :cry:

God when I came back from the US last time I realised how lucky, very lucky us BBC consumers are. Europe do you pay us for the preildge of watching our stuff? n Ireland? Well give us our sodding fish back (I'd do the deal) and you guys can keep watching our TV - OK?

God when I came back from the US last time I realised how lucky, very lucky us BBC consumers are. Europe do you pay us for the preildge of watching our stuff? n Ireland? Well give us our sodding fish back (I'd do the deal) and you guys can keep watching our TV - OK?

It's annoying, isn't it? seven minutes, two minutes, seven minutes, two minutes, seven minutes, two minutes, end of show.

I think I win (or lose to be more accurate) for having the most annoying commercials. The American shows here are mostly broadcast through the Armed Forces Network and due to the unique way the AFN is funded there are no commercials. Instead it's a random selection of about 40 different public service announcements, most of which were produced on the budget of 5 cents and some string. The vast majority of them are safety related (don't drink and drive, blow out candles at night, etc.). They get real old real fast. During the course of a 3 and a half hour football game I saw the same PSA 7 times. After about the first day or so I just started muting the TV when they came on and unmuting it when the show started again. They're that bad.

Thread resurrection... I'm too tired not to do this.

Does anyone here follow "Bones"? Now, it's been apparent that Toyota does some product placement there for quite some time, BUT: Having the main character driving her co-protagonist around, telling him that the car is new and about how good this and that feature of the car is... that's pretty bad because it was the most obvious product placement I've ever seen. I won't mention what car it was for because... you should be able to conclude that for yourselves. And the character had a Mercedes SL before without the show making much of a fuss about it... :cry:

Wait! Bones had a Mercedes SL! EPIC

I know we have a thread on good ads but I can't find it for the life of me so here it is, related to the romanian GPS in general forum.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp2bHdYVT0U[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
There are some good and witty commercials every now and then, but what annoys most is that the dab ones run so long. It's allowed to have 12mins of commercials every hour, but for instance TV6 (Viasat) whistles upon it.

Lately I've been noticing a trend in various radiocommercials where they throw in a realy tacky compleetly fake eastern european accent and stereotype.......what? your planning to appeal to the Polish builders or something? :p

My name a Borat? I'm also confident Spotify is actively trying to bump me up to premium by producing horrible ads. Paolo Roberto SHOUTING IN MY EAR comes to mind.