TV Critic Really Doesn't Like Hammond

Can I start a thread that says "TV Watcher doens't like critic"?

Becuase at the end of the day (as has been said here a number of times) who gives a rats ass? Top Gear rubs the mealy mouthed, pandering, pansies the wrong way so they end up with their panties in a plug.

He's not fine. He likes celery now. That is most definitely not fine.

Y'know, that's something I simply have not understood with the British (especially when watching some of them have to endure You Are What You Eat): their (seemingly) national dislike of celery. Why?

(In case you're wondering, yes, I like celery, and always have done.)

I actually thought it was a male Daily Fail writer when I was reading it!!

I thought she was a Fail writer, too. But for some odd reason, I'd almost expect a female Fail writer to write that limp-wristed twaddle.

This lady really needs to at least watch a bit more TG before she judges everything about it. And she was afraid she might like it? Loads of other people all around the world do! How is that in any way a bad thing?

250 million (or so) people can't be wrong. ;) But in her warped mind, they are.

Meanwhile: I've not watched Star Wars, either (yeah, I know); but at the very least, I know what a StormTrooper is. :nod:

Since I've watched Ratatouille about thirty times (my three year old's favorite movie) I think this quote fits here perfectly.

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so."

1164a47a6804d38e.jpg

If this person thinks RH's jokes were homophobic, then they haven't got the first f*cking idea what homophobia is. If anything, his comments reflected a non-homophobic stance. Taking the mickey out of someone because they have a very different taste in sexual partners to you is not homophobia... puerile and lacking in sensitivity perhaps, but it doesn't mean you hate someone.

And anyway, I don't think Hammond was even saying that. He was making homoerotic jokes about all three of them.

F*ck me, this journo is so thick it's untrue. And the Salacious Crumb comments were just weird.

Hey, its ok, I found out that extremely emotional crybaby gays think that everything to do with them is homophobia and not just slang that the world has created. I knew a guy that thought his brother was homophobic because he said "thats gay" at times pointing out stupid things as that is the norm here.

Well, I'm tired of people using me as an insult. So, whatever. :rolleyes:

Ya I hate that phrase "that's gay". What does that even mean?!

It's not homophobic in most instances though. It is just a stupid figure of speech people use to describe something they think is stupid.

My dad uses phrases like that every day to describe someone, particularly Irish politicians. :p
His choice of phrases are
"Lesbian"-Which I protested against and he stopped using.
"Lemon"-Just a wierd random thing
"Tennis player"-...I don't even know how to explain that one.
My dad is wierd :blink::cool:

But the point is, people don't use it do cause offense, at least not intentionally. They are not homophobic or whatever.

And the innuendos Hammy made were just jokes.

I think, in the end...that woman SERIOUSLY needs to get laid...

She sounds fat. Or ugly. Maybe both.
OMG, and those are the 2 worst things someone can be accused of right?

I agree with Spicysaurus and Linden Chase, All of us here adore the show but other people are entitled to their opinions. Hey, one of the reasons we all love Jezza is he doesn't hold back his opinion on anything!

OK she didn't need to weigh in with the personal comments about Hamster's appearance, but please don't stoop to her level folks. Rise above it, enjoy the show and let her get on with her world which in my (humble??) opinion will be a little bit duller without the TG sunshine :)

Last edited:
Ya I hate that phrase "that's gay". What does that even mean?!

It's not homophobic in most instances though. It is just a stupid figure of speech people use to describe something they think is stupid.

So gay=stupid?

Why don't people say,'Oh, that's so straight!' when there are so many stupid straight people? ;)

And for the record, I never thought Hammond's recent comments were homophobic, either. Funny as hell, though. :D (Thanks for the fan service, guys. ;) )

So gay=stupid?

Why don't people say,'Oh, that's so straight!' when there are so many stupid straight people? ;)

And for the record, I never thought Hammond's recent comments were homophobic, either. Funny as hell, though. :D (Thanks for the fan service, guys. ;) )

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSD7jb-7x4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSD7jb-7x4[/YOUTUBE]

sometimes what Simon says to people is so wrong but sometimes he gets it so right..

It's the eternal question... can we use gay as slang for uncool? I'd say no, a lot of people say yes, being PC has never been Top Gear's strong point... I'd say ignore it and move on.

So gay=stupid?

I agree, it is really moronic and immature. Something that you usually hear from 12 year old boys, but for a lot of people it just sticks.
Again, I think for most of them it is just something that doesn't really mean anything.

I'll admit to not having read all the posts leading up to this, but I really only want to comment on the OP anyways.

First, since when does someone have the nerve to take a stab at someone for their appearance? It's funny when Clarkson jabs him for being short because we all know it is in good humor, but this guy seems to think that Hammond's appearance is distracting him from the show. If only more guys looked Michelangelo's David. :rolleyes:

And I can't say enough how put off I am by today's touchy society. The boys are right in mocking how many people take offense to them. They make fun of Americans all the time and I still love the show more than anything else on television. Because some people actually know how to TAKE a joke. And how do you get touchy about gay jokes from these guys? What would he have thought of Grinder from the second episode?

People need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. Richard Pryor joked about his drug abuse, Chris Rocks shot to fame making jokes about black people and Jeff Foxworthy made his millions joking about rednecks. So I guess you're only allowed to make jokes if you belong to that particular group. That seems a bit constraining to me. Clarkson can make jokes about tall fat guys with bad teeth. Hammond can make fun of tiny metrosexuals. And May can crack on people with bad hair. What a great show that would be...<_<

I can understand she doesn't like Hammond. He's the one I think is the least important in the trio. But saying homophobia is horrible and then saying she doesn't like him because she doesn't approve of his looks, and joking about him nearly dying from a crash is, well... yeah. She does like her high horse.

And while I do agree homophobia is ridiculous, these were jokes. It's not like Top Gear has never made "heterosexual jokes", is it?

Last edited:
I'll admit to not having read all the posts leading up to this, but I really only want to comment on the OP anyways.

First, since when does someone have the nerve to take a stab at someone for their appearance? It's funny when Clarkson jabs him for being short because we all know it is in good humor, but this guy seems to think that Hammond's appearance is distracting him from the show. If only more guys looked Michelangelo's David. :rolleyes:

And I can't say enough how put off I am by today's touchy society. The boys are right in mocking how many people take offense to them. They make fun of Americans all the time and I still love the show more than anything else on television. Because some people actually know how to TAKE a joke. And how do you get touchy about gay jokes from these guys? What would he have thought of Grinder from the second episode?

People need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. Richard Pryor joked about his drug abuse, Chris Rocks shot to fame making jokes about black people and Jeff Foxworthy made his millions joking about rednecks. So I guess you're only allowed to make jokes if you belong to that particular group. That seems a bit constraining to me. Clarkson can make jokes about tall fat guys with bad teeth. Hammond can make fun of tiny metrosexuals. And May can crack on people with bad hair. What a great show that would be...<_<

Girl ;)

But ya, I agree completely. The girl obviously hasn't done her research about the show and its humour.

Most people who write in and complain are people who have only decided to sit down and watch that one ep. Someone (local vicar maybe) tells them "oh that Jeremiah Clarkson...he's an aweful disgrace", and then they go on out of curiosity to see what the hoo-ha is all about. Something "offends" them, and then they leap to action writing their keyboard warrior e-mail to the BBC, talking about how they've "avoided watching this filth before, and can't believe the rubbish that I set my eyes upon..."

The lads know that, and they clearly laugh at them heartily before either chucking them in the bin or reading them out on air showing how stupid these busy-bodies are.

I can't get the image of Jezza sitting in his living room, next to a roaring fire, with a small stack of hate mail and a glass of red wine, chuckling at the mindless rantings out of my head now.:lol:

Last edited: