TVR up for sale

Porsche should buy them......take a 911 base, add mad bodywork, make it loud and mean and there you go :D
Now, Porsche is about the last company that should take care of TVR, they could never pull it off, TVR will end up just like Lambo and that would be worst thing I could think of. But the idea with Koenigsegg is rather good.
911 as a base? Good God! Can't tell you how much screwed TVR would be if any one do such a thing.

let's see..

Ford buys TVR, result: TVR's prices drop like cows tail, but nobody wants them anymore because they're 4 seaters, with 400bhp inline six delivering the power to front wheels. and they look like mondeo.

GM buys TVR, result: same, but it then they would resemble Vectra and understeer would be your closest enemy in every crossroad.

Dodge -||-: TVR pick-up, anyone?

conclusion: Please God, let TVR stay in Europe.

TVR shock: Smolenski back in charge

UNION officials reacted with anger after it was revealed Blackpool sports car firm TVR has been bought by its previous Russian owner.

TVR went into administration last year, with the loss of more than 250 jobs.
The Transport and General Workers Union said it had learned former owner Nikolai Smolenski had bought the firm from administrators.
Andy Robertson, the union's regional organiser, said: "If this means that manufacturing is taken out of Blackpool it will be a disaster for the area.
"It is absurd that the previous owner, who allowed it to go into administration, is now once again the owner.
"The Government should not allow this practice to take place.
"The workforce will be extremely angry and disappointed that Mr Smolenski has been able to walk away unscathed while they have suffered so much."
A spokesman for administrators PKF confirmed a company owned by Mr Smolenski had bought the assets of TVR.
It is understood that four companies put in bids for the sports car firm.
A spokesman for the administrator said: "Our role was to achieve the best possible result for the creditors."
He added that Mr Smolenski's bid was the highest.
TVR went into administration at Christmas.
More than 250 workers at its historic Bristol Avenue plant in Bispham were made redundant.
Hopes had been high a number of interested consortiums would take over the famous brand and once again build cars on the Fylde coast.
It is widely rumoured Mr Smolenski will now build TVRs abroad, with
Italy among the favoured locations.

Last Updated: 23 February 2007

Source

I hope Smolenski can get it right this time. I really love the cars they produce, but from what i've heard they need to work on build quality and reliability before they start exporting them.

Gee, I wonder why ...
Could be that all of the owners don't quite seem to get that they NEED TO STOP MAKING CARS THAT KILL THEIR FEW CUSTOMERS. If the handling of the car does not kill you then the car blowing up will.

If the handling of the car does not kill you then the car blowing up will.
:think: ...rofl, it's a true sportscar!

Thier cars have no electronic driving aids or airbags, right? Then owners should know what they're getting into. If you want a car that drives itself get a Lexus.

Exactly, thats y Id want one. If someone steals it or drives it without me knowing they would probably die for it. Wait thats very harsh...well they brought it onto themselves.

What a fucking mess. Does this kid have any kind of buisness training or experiance? It just sounds like he's bored.

I guess it was just a trick to get rid of the UK part without having the trouble of paying everything off. What an asshole.

Thier cars have no electronic driving aids or airbags, right? Then owners should know what they're getting into. If you want a car that drives itself get a Lexus.

and most people have enough sense in their head not to get into them, so it's their own fault they aren't profittable

In the latest edition of EVO there was a very tidy and accurate description of what TVR has been trough the past 12 months, with a short interview of a worker together with a roadtest of one of the two Typhons TVR made, a short interview with the owner of the first and biggest TVR dealer (TVR Centre), a brief history of TVR and some golden TVR-moments from the EVO-writers.

The weird thing was that new orders for cars kept comming in even though the production had halted, due shortage of parts. In the factory and outside there are several half-built cars standing around, along with fiberglass bodies. It's a real shame that TVR is in the shape it is right now, as their cars are better than ever, being not just on par with what all the others are offering, but a lot more special as well. Where else in the world do you get completely handbuilt, similarly performing cars at this price level, with such a bespoke feel and a propritary engine, not just something with various parts off Ford's or GM's shelves? The reliability issues concerning the Speed Six engine was pretty much sorted when the Sagaris and the Tuscan 2 came out, but it was too late, as building confidence in customers, and a good reputation takes a long time. The same goes for the AJP8, that was finally completely sorted around '98 when the underdeveloped Tuscan was launched.

I really hope that they manage to pull trough this, and shock the rest of the sportscar world up like they did back in 1990 with the Griffith 500... To do this they have to freeze the supercar plans and go back to basics, and hold it off untill they have the bank ballance to support it...

and most people have enough sense in their head not to get into them, so it's their own fault they aren't profittable
Maybe it's my perspective; as most of my cars could be widely considered death traps. A TVR sounds like a hell of a fun car to me, I wish they exported to the US. TVR targeted a relatively small market of enthusiasts looking for real sports cars. With reliability issues more or less sorted, the problem is not the product, it's the leadership, and I really hope they can see thier way through this without compromising their product.