TV's shipped from online retailer

My parents ordered three TVs over the past couple years, no problem. My clients have ordered more, including 65" with no issue.

I ordered a 60" Samsung at post-christmas sale from the Interwebs. Got the package on Monday, and everything is well. Came in original factory-packaging. Doesn't the courier cover the damages if they break it in transit?

IMG-20150105-WA0000

IMG-20150105-WA0002.jpg

If you get the misfortune of having Amazon contract CEVA for delivery, good luck getting your tv. They will cancel numerous times, misplace the tv, and then not bother to answer the phone. Never buying a tv through them again.

Fucking hate CEVA...almost as much as DHL.

Well, after searching around online, the local Best Buy had an open box(read, wrapped in bubble wrap and no box) Insignia 48" listed for $307 but it was missing the remote so I got a universal one thrown in for 5 bucks instead of 10. When the guy rang it up, it came out to $296. Even better!

I wasn't looking for something spectacular since my tv watching amounts to a top gear episode and a movie here and there. I'm thinking about having some people over for the super bowl next weekend. Now I just need furniture to sit on and an area rug, and an HD antenna...

Last edited:
You don't need a special antenna for an HDTV. An old style antenna will work if you have one up. Just replace the cable (twin line) and run that down to the area where the TV is and get a convertor to match the coaxial cable. Or you can make your own. Or, do like I do, and use an FM antenna with a balun. It was about $20 from Radio Shack years ago, I think they are still around...

This is, this house doesn't have antenna. Not even in the attic.

I have rabbit ears balancing on the top of my 32" LCD. You don't need an "HDTV" antenna. I live near the airport, though, which seems to fuck with my reception. With ANY antenna, I only get NBC, a few stations that aren't in English, a couple of religious channels, and a home shopping channel.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase, I need to get an antenna that has coax on it.

You can use a balun to convert from twin line to coax.

Sure. My pioneer sx-780 has screw terminals for the antenna. A length of speaker wire is its antenna.

I run an antenna similar to this.

Find an antenna installer near you and they will have all the bits you need to make it work and get some real signal to your stereo. (wire antenna that comes with the stereo are terrible)

Radio Shack used to have all the bits, and still may, but the website is terrible. Now wonder they are going under.

He may actually need a proper antenna for reliable signal reception where he is, in my experience those flat basic HDTV antennas work fine. I've actually used a cheap poorly shielded length of coax cable to get a good HD signal for my computer's TV tuner before, and I can actually even get away with plugging a standard large size paperclip into the antenna port and get great results (in fact if you walk into Sams Club and the like all their HDTVs running demos of broadcast stations use this method), but that's because I'm in the middle of a large metro area and the signal strength is great here. In Illinois, outside of the big cities, you may run into issues without at least a proper or amplified antenna.