• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

two internet connections question

ziad

Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
43
Location
Australia
hello,

as usual my topic isint clear. so i will explain. I got cable its got super download speeds but it is capped uploading at 128kb, so i was thinking of getting 512kb ADSL, so i can upload using the ADSL and download using the cable modem....
is it possible?
how hard will it be?
costs, software, hardware involved?

I got a netgear 108g wireless router at the moment. Thankx for your help
 
Re: two internet connections question

ziad said:
hello,

as usual my topic isint clear. so i will explain. I got cable its got super download speeds but it is capped uploading at 128kb, so i was thinking of getting 512kb ADSL, so i can upload using the ADSL and download using the cable modem....
is it possible?
how hard will it be?
costs, software, hardware involved?

I got a netgear 108g wireless router at the moment. Thankx for your help

Well the obvious cost, is the monthly cost of two lines. If the ADSL (Asynchronous DSL) is like it is elsewhere in the world, the upload isn't much better than the 128kb on the cable (especially at the 512kb download level).

As for the hardware. you could go the more expensive route with a quite sophisticated Cisco router ($5000+ USD) and have to learn the IOS operating system to set it up. It can be done more cheaply with a linux machine, but in order to make linux do what you want, its going to be difficult, and require a lot of research. The cisco is better designed for it, but its possible with a linux box. Your current wireless router won't cut it.

So I guess the overall statement here is, that yes it is possible, but unless the DSL has something like 2mbit up or better (which is doubtful), its probably not worth the trouble.
 
that would be fucked up, I don't think you can do that... it would end up being very expensive.. why not do the full move and ditch cable for the adsl?
 
Ignore Renesis. :roll: It's very possible to do, but it is spendy.
 
hmmm.... ahh well... well ADSL is slower down stream than cable .... well i suppose i could get 1.5MB or ADSL2 (24mb) but ADSL2 not here yet... mabe not this year. and cable is cheaper about $45 with discounts and about 36gig dl. where as ADSL is about $65/month with about 30-40gig. but found a good 512/512 plan for $45 to give me up speeds of about 70kb/s all up (cable + adsl) but that is quite difficult according to u ppl. so i will leave it.... or i could plug the ADSL during day for uploads and cable during night for dl ;-)
 
keypoint plans mean nothing... as optus cable is already 128kb upload. i was looking at a few others which give ADSL2 but not in my suburb for a long while :-( ... just wondering is it possible to get two ADSL accounts on 1 tel line??? if not then i recon i should quit thinking.... my gf work will not let her disconnet their ADSL even though she hasnt used it for like over 4 months
 
Kip_6666 said:
don't notice him, hes belgian, he can't help himself.


Whats the exact problem, the speeds? Or he fact that it gets capped?


This is a unlimited plan if your interested:

http://www.keypoint.com.au/edsl-freedom.html

dude! what's your problem? didn't get a greencard to move over and get out of the area of shame you live in right now? must be sth like that. and since even you call yourself a chicken it might be wiser to keep your beak shut and lay some eggs, so u have some use for society. no one did sth wrong to you so stop bitching around

and he is complaining his upload is to slow compared to his download.
T1 has same speeds up and download. might solve his problem if you ask me
 
bone said:
Kip_6666 said:
don't notice him, hes belgian, he can't help himself.


Whats the exact problem, the speeds? Or he fact that it gets capped?


This is a unlimited plan if your interested:

http://www.keypoint.com.au/edsl-freedom.html

dude! what's your problem? didn't get a greencard to move over and get out of the area of shame you live in right now? must be sth like that. and since even you call yourself a chicken it might be wiser to keep your beak shut and lay some eggs, so u have some use for society. no one did sth wrong to you so stop bitching around

and he is complaining his upload is to slow compared to his download.
T1 has same speeds up and download. might solve his problem if you ask me

How, kalmeren jongen. Het was zeker niet zo slecht bedoelt. Dit is gewoon de gekende "rivaliteit" tussen Belgie en Nederland.

And having 2 lines doesn't have to be expensive (except for the monthly costs). But you have to change the logon on your router everytime you want to change lines. I would've been very easy without the router. Cuz you can set the logon on you pc. If I were you, I would stay with your current line. There were times people downloaded at 28KBs and your complaining about 128 upload? No pun intended, but just live with it(until something faster is available).

Greetz Johan
 
LMAO at hookie,you dont need to spend $5k on a cisco router. YOu can get a decent shotgun router for about 250- 300, but it still pricey. But being able to get the setup to dl thru one and upload thru the other would be a bit tricky.
 
bone said:
Kip_6666 said:
don't notice him, hes belgian, he can't help himself.


Whats the exact problem, the speeds? Or he fact that it gets capped?


This is a unlimited plan if your interested:

http://www.keypoint.com.au/edsl-freedom.html

dude! what's your problem? didn't get a greencard to move over and get out of the area of shame you live in right now? must be sth like that. and since even you call yourself a chicken it might be wiser to keep your beak shut and lay some eggs, so u have some use for society. no one did sth wrong to you so stop bitching around

and he is complaining his upload is to slow compared to his download.
T1 has same speeds up and download. might solve his problem if you ask me

I was more playing with you. No need to respond like that.

And t1 is more a proffesional solution and very dependant of your location, or your budget (we're talking thousands of dollars, well, back in the day).
You can't just go around spamming connection types. Specialy not if they're obtainable. And if he could get his hands on t1, its out dated to what else is avalible these days.
 
Got3n said:
LMAO at hookie,you dont need to spend $5k on a cisco router. YOu can get a decent shotgun router for about 250- 300, but it still pricey. But being able to get the setup to dl thru one and upload thru the other would be a bit tricky.

I wasn't aware there were consumer routers designed for doing diverse connections. The only equipment that I have seen that was capable of diverse routing either runs IOS or a linux box with a LOT of time invested in setting it up.
 
[offtopic]
here my friend had cable (3Mbit/256kbps) but he wanted better, so he ordered adsl (8mbit/1Mbit) line. The adsl-line provider wanted him to cut of his cable line,
(weird) but he did what to isp wanted.
He had 1 hole week 2 lines in his apparment.
[/offtopic]

And there is some device that can hookup 2/4 internet connections to 1 line (fouded two devices Taicom TMH-121 [2-lines] and Taicom TMH-141 [4-lines]).
 
viilaaja@pt cruiser said:
And there is some device that can hookup 2/4 internet connections to 1 line (fouded two devices Taicom TMH-121 [2-lines] and Taicom TMH-141 [4-lines]).

Yeah, devices like those exist, but they only do load balancing, not what the original poster wanted. That device does not use the cable for download and the DSL for upload. Also I was unable to find prices on those devices, and think they may be enterprise class equipment.
 
hokiethang said:
viilaaja@pt cruiser said:
And there is some device that can hookup 2/4 internet connections to 1 line (fouded two devices Taicom TMH-121 [2-lines] and Taicom TMH-141 [4-lines]).

Yeah, devices like those exist, but they only do load balancing, not what the original poster wanted. That device does not use the cable for download and the DSL for upload. Also I was unable to find prices on those devices, and think they may be enterprise class equipment.

they were importer advertice in nerd magazine i order.
 
i agree T1/T3 are not valid choices..... mainly cuz they are for business they are prohibitivly expensive and then the specialised hardware needed and stuff. and as i said the 1.5Mb ADSL is the same speed but a fraction of the cost... and my cable is faster again. Hmmm i dont know much about linux... and couldnt be bothered learning, it has been a pain in the ass to learn and run in the days of Redhat 5 and it still is (u r talking to someone who started on DOS).


but thankx ppl for your help.
 
Linux or FreeBSD should do what you want, the setup is going to be hard, otherwise, off the top of my head you are looking at enterprise level hardware and significant cost. you have perhaps 3 options

1. Live with what you've got
2. Upgrade to 1.5mbit ADSL or 512/512 DSL
3. Load balance a pair of cheaper ADSL lines i.e. 1.5/256 x2 to get 3mbps/512kbps with
linux
4. enterprise level hardware.

-Arch
 
Top