Two New Astons! Aston Martin releases details on 2012 Virage Coupe and Volante

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Looks to be a normal evolution (albeit slight) of their existing style. Kinda like how Porsche slightly tweaks each new 911.

I'm digging the new front. More aggressive + LED lights. I like it. :thumbsup:
Barely looks like they barely changed the back from the DB9.

Not sure how this, the DB9, the DBS, and the V12 Vantage will all co-exist. There's so much possible cannibalization. Guess they're just gonna make and sell every considerable iteration, also like the Porsche 911 offerings. :p

Source: Aston Martin via Autoblog

Aston Martin has taken the wraps of its new Virage Coupe and Virage Volante. Both models are based on the automaker's VH architecture ? so they're "all-new"... kinda ? and are meant to slot in between the DB9 and the DBS in the lineup. The bonded aluminum chassis, with aluminum, magnesium and composite body panels, receives the familiar 6.0-liter V12 rated at 490 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. The standard transmission (a rear transaxle) is a six-speed automatic "Touchtronic 2" gearbox, helping to deliver a 0-60 time of about 4.5 seconds and maxing out at a top speed of 186 miles per hour.

The suspension is double-wishbone on all four corners, with Aston Martin's Adaptive Damping System (ADS) with Sport mode as standard equipment. Wheels are 20-inch alloys, mounted over carbon ceramic disc brakes at all four corners (six-piston calipers up front, four-piston units in the rear), with Pirelli P Zero tires standard.

No word yet on pricing or availablity (feel free to read through the press release after the break), but we'll be getting all the details on the new Virage at next week's Geneva Motor Show. Expect driving impressions to come... soon.

astonvirage13.jpg

astonvirage02.jpg

astonvirage03.jpg

astonvirage01.jpg

astonvirage06.jpg

astonvirage17.jpg

astonvirage27-1298410516.jpg

astonvirage32-1298410525.jpg

astonvirage22-1298410508.jpg

astonvirage23-1298410510.jpg

astonvirage25-1298410513.jpg

astonvirage26-1298410515.jpg

astonvirage29-1298410518.jpg

astonvirage30-1298410523.jpg

Full Coupe Gallery

Full Volante Gallery

Last edited:
Could you really improve on the DB9, armchair designers?

Btw, is it me, or does anyone else see some Ferrari California in the new front? I see slight similarities.

This makes no sense.

http://img831.imageshack.**/img831/7334/tommyleejonesnocountry.jpg

Oh great, so now all Astons look the same, but some are in fact the same while not being exactly the same but actually, they are?

Ergh, my head. Still a lovely car but call it a DB9 or DB10 if you really must rename it for fucks sake.

I'm guessing we will have this design for another twenty years like the old Vantage.

Errm I was under the impression that the DBS was one step up from the DB9, with no room between them. And is Virage really a name that needed reviving? Just replace the DB9 already!

All that said, it still looks fantastic, even if they are still sticking with their same old tracing paper. Making something great looking and sticking with it till you can come up with something else just as great looking as opposed to ruining cars in the name of 'doing something new' seems to be Aston's design philosophy, and that's one reason they are one of my favorite car companies.

Last edited:
Just bring out the DB12 (because DB10 and 11 sound shit) and bring us a new, but not entirely unfamiliar body (like the DB7/DB9 advances). This is just marketing thinking they can get away with one more variant before they bring out something really new.

Perfect as it is, the DB9 name is getting on a bit. I can see how original DB9 owners want a refreshed version.

The DB9 is still going to be on sale though. This is a whole new model.

Some comments from AMOC.

"why would you call it a virage. how daft. how unimaginative. how confusing.
if you bought one you would spend the rest of your life explaining."

"Why oh why do they have to regurgitate the old names for new cars! Is there nobody at Aston who can come up with something fresh?
When you look through the forum there is an incredible amount of confusion as to which model of which year is being asked about.
To me the Virage will always be the monster that Russell and co drive, not some tarted up DB9."

"So what is the difference between a DB9 with optional cost ceramic brakes, and a Virage with standard ceramic brakes that's more expensive?"

"Great, ceramic brakes. I wonder if they wobble on this model too."

"On the Virage, an odd thing to do. A parts bin rework on DB9, but call it a different name. At least Porsche with all their latest 997 run out special editions known its still a 997 911, with bits and bobs fiddled with."

"So I don't quite get what market it is after, someone who wants but can't afford DBS, but is willing to spend more than DB9? Will someone who would not have bought a car at all buy it? No. Will someone who wants a DB9 pay more for Virage? Doubtful, but if they do its all bottom line cash profit as no marginal increase to production cost, other than ceramics. I dont see the incremental revenue."

Semi-related, the Volvo sat-nav is being replaced throughout with a Garmin system.

Also they had a One-77 at the event...

I was told in no uncertain terms to not sit in the One-77, and to close the door and step away, as it was someone's actual car. I asked why on earth is it on display and why isnt it locked then? "it's in transit mode". Whatever. Nice orange peel, and a slight dent on the top surface of the door just below driver's window on it though. Covered in micro scratches on the paint. If it is someone's car, and I were that person, it would be getting a flat reject, try again.

Last edited:
Dammit Aston, just come up with a new name. Make it look a bit angrier and hardcore, add red LED running lights, paint it in flat black and call it the Vengeance.

There, Me > Aston design/marketing.