Two Questions

The GFP

Car(s)
'94 Mercedes E320 Coupe
Ive just spent the last 45 mins on google looking for the answers to these two questions and this site kept popping up but i still did not find the answers

1 - why did jason dawes leave?

2 - why do i never see repeats of series 1 on dave?

the number of words i need to use in the question brings up so many hits that its impossible to find out

thanks

Ive just spent the last 45 mins on google looking for the answers to these two questions and this site kept popping up but i still did not find the answers

1 - why did jason dawes leave?

2 - why do i never see repeats of series 1 on dave?

the number of words i need to use in the question brings up so many hits that its impossible to find out

thanks
#1-He was really fat and not funny. Seriously though I remember reading somewhere that James May was supposed to be on Top Gear from the beginning (or that JC wanted JM from the start), but that then didn't work out, so he started in series two :dunno:

#2-Im guessing they think series 1 is not good enough to repeat, but why would you watch them on dave anyways? Just download them, not like its illegal or anything

:wave:

Jason's real world practical money advice was kind of at odds with the rest of the show's tone. It also dates it - all his advice on bargains were only relevant at the time of broadcast as those prices are constantly changing. I think they knew even back then they wanted the show to be less practical and more entertaining, and to be watch-able and enjoyable retrospectively. He wasn't ever that natural a TV personality too.

Part of that may be the reason why Dave haven't shown series 1 - it's dated to a certain period with all the money talk.

cheers

i always thought series 1 was more like old top gear and a bit too serious for them

shame as jason knows his onions but his shows with mallory are god awful

I think the parting with Jason Dawes was amicable. For several years his site had links for Top Gear and vice versa, but of course that was almost a decade ago. And yeah series 1 was not very good. Neither was series 2 actually; series 3 was the really the start of it all.

1) Rumour has it they wanted James from the get-go, but he had prior commitments or something. (Or he simply wasn't sure.) Enter Jason Dawe. (Yes. Dawe. Not "Dawes". D-A-W-E.)

2) Because there's no James.

I've seen season 1 and Jason really didn't have good camera skills. I lost track of the number of times when they were sitting on the seats that you'd see Richard's hand sneak out and gently push him back because Jason was leaning forward and partially blocking the shot. I daresay there were other reasons for his departure probably mentioned earlier but the lack of savvy can't have helped.

Another theory: James May and Jason Dawe (thanks Shelly!) are the same person! Jason/James had a gastric band procedure, lost lotsa weight, decided a name change was in order, and voila: James May was born. Don't bother me with the 'reality' that May was on old Top Gear; I know in this unscripted world they are one and the same!

1) Rumour has it they wanted James from the get-go, but he had prior commitments or something. (Or he simply wasn't sure.) Enter Jason Dawe. (Yes. Dawe. Not "Dawes". D-A-W-E.)

2) Because there's no James.

This. James worked on old TG after Clarkson left when Andy Wilman was also still a presenter. Andy and Jeremey wanted James from the get go but he was unsure of the new format and wasn't certain it would work. Once he realised it did he signed up for series 2.

just read the replies

jason has been quite poor on the other shows he does and is a bit wooden

ive got all the shows so dont watch dave

The art of searching is in using keywords and tags to focus your search rather than just throwing every keyword you can think of at the problem. Don't overlook site restricted Google searches. Just add site:forums.finalgear.com to your keywords.